Coco cay cabana with wheelchair?

I am thinking about getting a cabana on coco cay.  One member of my party is in a wheelchair.  Will it be feasible for him to get to any of the cabana locations? Is there any location that you would recommend over the others? If it matters, he will be in his own manual wheelchair, not a scooter.

On 8/30/2024 at 2:26 PM, garnet115 said:

I am thinking about getting a cabana on coco cay.  One member of my party is in a wheelchair.  Will it be feasible for him to get to any of the cabana locations? Is there any location that you would recommend over the others? If it matters, he will be in his own manual wheelchair, not a scooter.

If he can transfer and walk, there are cabanas around the pool that require a few steps to them. The ones on the sand are difficult b/c have to walk on the sand. If he can transfer there are beach wheelchairs but all I’ve read, they can be difficult to maneuver. If you have someone strong with you they may work for you. I use a mobility scooter and I found that the regular cabanas at the Beach Club were the best as you can wheel right up to them. I would not recommend the over the water ones at the Beach Club as they have long narrow walkways out to them. I’ll see if I can find my pictures from the last time we were there. There is an accessible tram that you can roll right on too. Once off the ship advise one of the crew that you need the accessible tram. There is usually crew overseeing the trams. They were good when I used them as they will put those guests that need that tram on ahead of able bodied guests. I was able to take my scooter from the ship to accessible tram directly to Beach Club and out to the cabana without any problems. The restrooms were also on pavement not sand. Also, you can use the pool. There was a lift. And your attendant will take excellent care of you and your needs Well worth the money. One thing though to get to the ocean  anywhere you will need the beach wheelchair unless he can walk @ 100 yards. 

3 minutes ago, cropping cruiser said:

I found that the regular cabanas at the Beach Club were the best as you can wheel right up to them. 

your post was very helpful. So at the beach club you can go right from the tram to hard surface to a cabana? If so that may be the best option for us. I would pay the premium if it meant my dad could get off the ship and enjoy the island a bit. He won’t be able to walk really. He could transfer between chairs but the beach wheelchair sounds like a bit much. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, garnet115 said:

your post was very helpful. So at the beach club you can go right from the tram to hard surface to a cabana? If so that may be the best option for us. I would pay the premium if it meant my dad could get off the ship and enjoy the island a bit. He won’t be able to walk really. He could transfer between chairs but the beach wheelchair sounds like a bit much. 

Yes directly onto hard surface. The restrooms, restaurant and pool were all accessible via hard surfaces. Restaurant has a ramp. I think you can opt to have attendant take your order and deliver to you if you do not want to go to the restaurant. We went to the restaurant and we pleased with the food. I felt it was well worth the extra money especially considering how difficult it can be to get to an actual beach and the water if one has mobility issues. Take the usual precautions in the restrooms near a beach or pool. Floors can be slippery but definitely accessible.