Phone theft in Rome - police report

Steerpike58

On 9/5/2024 at 3:17 PM, 9265359 said:

All she needs to do is start navigating a walking route in Apple Maps (not Google Maps) on her phone and it will appear on her watch.

I've just been reading about Google maps on the Apple watch, doesn't sound good.  https://www.lifewire.com/google-maps-vs-apple-maps-on-apple-watch-5078054

Despite being an Android user for the past 10 years, having abandoned the whole Apple ecosystem, I am giving some consideration to buying a new iPhone for two reasons.1) the camera on the new iPhones is slightly better than the camera on the new Android devices (actually it's the processing that's better on the Apple devices as opposed to the cameras themselves) and 2) Google's "find my phone" feature was very unsatisfactory when I tried to use it after the theft.

There's so much that I prefer about the Android approach, but, I might be willing to give the iphone another try given since I need a new phone anyway.

On 9/5/2024 at 3:17 PM, 9265359 said:

13 minutes ago, odblnt said:

Do you have an iPad with you? 

Do you remember your Outlook password? If so, you can access your outlook account through "Outlook.com" on the ship's business computer (not totally safe, but it should do).

I have an Android tablet with me, and yes I've tried to use the ships computer. The problem is, my email is part of an office 365 account (essentially a hosted exchange server mailbox) and as soon as I try to connect using either the tablet or the ship's computer, it detects it as a new device and requires two Factor authentication before completing the login. Microsoft pushed me towards using two Factor authentication rather than just password authentication last year, and I just let it happen without spending enough time thinking through all the implications of the two-factor solution. It works fine, it's just that I allowed all four two-factor options to reside on the single device. I should have set up the authenticator solution on a different device.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

I've just been reading about Google maps on the Apple watch, doesn't sound good.

Google maps on Apple watch is best described as 'acceptable, just'.

As the article you linked to stated, with Google you only get directional arrows with a countdown to the turn and not a map, plus you get taps on the wrist from the watch to tell you when to turn left or right and which way so when experienced with it you don't even have to look at the watch.

Apple maps on Apple watch gives you a full map view the same as if you were looking at your phone, plus it also gives the same taps on the wrist as you get with Google maps.

The issue with that is that Apple maps are still not as good as Google maps when you are in Europe, so often I will find myself using Google to find a location and then having done that will use that information to find it in Apple maps for the actual navigation.

11 hours ago, Steerpike58 said:

Google's "find my phone" feature was very unsatisfactory when I tried to use it after the theft

The Stolen Device Protection which Apple introduced last year gives some additional reassurance if your phone is stolen, along with the traditional remote wipe (About Stolen Device Protection for iPhone – Apple Support (UK))

The protection means that if anyone has your unlocked phone or has your passcode they cannot access your passwords stored in the phone or change the passcode unless you they are at your house or work, or similar regular place, and along with things such as making payments they can only do any of that is with biometric ID, which they obviously don't have.

• Like 1