TELUS Europe Easy Rome

Roxxy

• 2 weeks later...

My friend had told me about these Telus Easy Roam passes while we were in Europe last week and using a data esim.  For future trips, I can see myself getting one of these passes and the missus using an esim so we have access to a phone.  While we are able to message and video call most of our friends and siblings using messaging apps, our parents don't really use them.  

The other thing that kind of caught me off guard this trip was SMS verification. I was trying to log in and load money onto my EQ Bank card (which is a prepaid MC that doesn't have the forex fee) but forgot it sends an SMS verification code for 2-factor authentication to log in.  

Fortunately incoming SMS messages from the Canadian carriers are free. I used Airalo last summer while in Europe/UK and all the banking sites sent the 2FA to my phone without any extra charges. I was not aware of the Telus/Koodo Europe passes at that time. I like the fact that Telus/Koodo is using my phone's data plan size which is much bigger than what I would get from Airalo. We will see how it works in a month's time.

Just an FYI; the Telus deal is NOT permanent.  I got the offer about 4 months prior to our trip but it had expired before the trip.  It's an intermittent offer so keep Airlo in mind.  I have had success with Airlo on shore but you can't use it on board ship.