A question of wording for solo travelers

Sololux

THIS IS THE WORDING ON THE EXPLORA WENSITE…….

“Single Supplement from only 25%.

For guests undertaking an Ocean Journey solo and those who simply prefer to enjoy a suite to themselves, we are delighted to offer a lower supplement fare, with all services and amenities included. 

Guests enjoying their suite solo can book any suite with a single supplement starting from only 25% above our current per person fare.”

So, what does this mean in reality….

any suite…… no it’s not.

I have just found out that that there are no single supplements for 2025 at 25%.

I have spoken directly with EJ and the single supplement is 100%.  They could not find a single cruise supplement for lower than 100%.  So all those influencers etc were fine but a serious buyer wanting more than 18 days is expected to pay a 100% single supplement.

Nope, doesn’t work.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Elizabethbea said:

I believe Explora gives Travel Agents 20% commission. Thus 5% doesn't seem to be very generous.

Also a good reason for TA's not to direct you to low solo supplement cruises

On 9/3/2024 at 10:28 PM, Sololux said:

THIS IS THE WORDING ON THE EXPLORA WENSITE…….

“Single Supplement from only 25%.

For guests undertaking an Ocean Journey solo and those who simply prefer to enjoy a suite to themselves, we are delighted to offer a lower supplement fare, with all services and amenities included. 

Guests enjoying their suite solo can book any suite with a single supplement starting from only 25% above our current per person fare.”

So, what does this mean in reality….

any suite…… no it’s not.

I have just found out that that there are no single supplements for 2025 at 25%.

I have spoken directly with EJ and the single supplement is 100%.  They could not find a single cruise supplement for lower than 100%.  So all those influencers etc were fine but a serious buyer wanting more than 18 days is expected to pay a 100% single supplement.

Nope, doesn’t work.

Hi Sololux, I just booked a fall TA for 2025 and the single supplement was about 25 or 30 %.  So not sure why you or Explora are saying that the supplement is 100%.
The low supplement of course can change anytime depending on occupancy of a specific cruise and is applicable only for OT1-4 and GT category. If you are looking for PH and higher, then it is around 100%. 

When I spoke to EJ they were adamant that all solos for 2025 were with a 100% supplement.  I finally managed to get an approx 25% single supplement for a GT category for a 19 day cruise in 2025.  Bit sad as my budget was several times multiple but I was adamant that I was not going to pay a 100% supplement.  A lot of faffing around (U.K. speak for pita) to get one of the GT which sticks out with some glass at the side so is a bit less claustrophobic.  Not what I wanted so really big compromise but the initial figure quoted was approximately £55k so a £12k figure means their loss.  I’m going to replan how I now do this cruise but I have no issue with re-faffing EJ either.  Moi, je suis le customer!

It could be a win win as if I really like it I might do it again because, hey, I have lots of budget not spent!

This really represents a very weird and strange experience with EJ. I know that not everyone in their local offices is up to par, but stating that all cruises for 2025 are priced with 100% single supplement is simply wrong, as you can see yourself, if you check the pricing online. Select any month up until March 26, select one person, et voilá, you will find most if not all cruises with a 25-30% surcharge, within OT and GT category.  100% for PH though. 
Just double checked again myself.

Latest update.  PH are now being heavily discounted for solo travellers - no longer the 100% supplement.  My travel agent double checked my findings and confirmed they’ve reduced the single supplement.  The only fly in the ointment was she stated that when she spoke to EJ they quoted a price that was £640 higher than that shown on their own website.  She’s prudently taken a screen shot and will push back at them but offered me the website price regardless plus has increased her discount to me. I’ve now cancelled my grand OT and booked a grand PH instead.  I had to formally cancel and do a new booking.  No admin fees thank goodness.

• Thanks 1

Exactly--I totally agree with Mike at Sea--Explora does not charge 100% solo supplement for the majority of its rooms. Whoever told you that was wrong, or maybe you misinterpreted what you were told. There are sites freely available that track reductions and Explora's reasonable ( NOT 100%) solo supplements have remained constant.

Regarding the higher price that you say  Explora charged you--their website is often quite unstable --and although it states that it will charge you in the currency  of your country, often this is not the case until payment!