crab feed in ketchikan

cricketz

I need advice on the "crab feed & wilderness tour" in Ketchikan. If anyone has taken this shore excursion, please let me hear your opinion. I've enjoyed reading the boards for over a year, and this is my one question that I haven't had answered without having to ask directly. I'll have to say that these boards supply a wealth of information!

We (my mother and I) went on this excursion in Sept 2004 and enjoyed it! There was a bus ride from the pier to the George Inlet Lodge. Then a boat ride to where they have some baited crab pots in the water. They pull up an pot, let you see and handle some of the crabs, and give a talk on the them. Then a nice boat ride back to the Lodge. On the boat ride out, they saw some eagles perched in a tree and a small brown bear on the shore line. Both times they stopped the boat for a few minutes so we could take pictures! Then the delicious part, we got to eat some crabs! There was a meal with drink, salad, the crabs and then dessert. After the meal there was the bus ride back to the pier. The bus driver was very informative and personable. In fact, everyone involved (the boat captain, tour naturalists and the waitresses at the Lodge) was informative and personable!

Enjoy your cruise!

This sounds wonderful! Is it offered thru the ship or was it booked independently? Rough price estimate? Was the boat ride on smooth water? DH tends to get a seasick on smaller boats.

It was booked thru Celebrity and at that time they only booked thru cruise lines (I'm not sure what they do now). The cost was over $100 pp, but not more than $125 pp (sorry that I can't remember exactly). I also get seasick on small boats and was worried, but the water was smooth and besides I took bonine and was also wearing the patch. A bit of overkill, maybe, but I never felt bad on either of the small boat excursions we took. The website is http://www.catchcrabs.com.

Enjoy!

I actually called Ketchikan about the crab feed excursion. The shore excursion is only booked through the cruise lines; you can't book independently. The cost is a little over $100, and according to the person I talked with, this is an all-you-can eat crab dinner. I had not seen that information on anything and had visions of a single crab on the plate! This excursion was listed on something I saw last year as one of the Top 10 excursions in Alaska--and then not another word about it. Has nobody else checking the boards tried this? The problem is it's very time consuming and just about precludes doing anything else while in Ketchikan.

We are actually going to get this booked for ourselves over the weekend. Booked through RCC it is about $130/pp. We did realize that by doing this we will have to skip going to the lumberjack show, but that is the choice that one has to make on limited time in each port!

The Lumberjack show is a few times during the day but with the time that we will be in port, we did not want to have to rush after the crab feed to make it to the show on time.

The lumberjack show had times listed of 3:30 and 5:15 the day we are in port, and the crab feed is at 1:30. With allowing the 4 hours that they say for the crab feed, there is no way that we can make it to the lumberjack show by 5:15.

That's ok I will gladly go eat my fill of crab!!! I can almost taste it already!

This is sounding better & better... may be able to get a flight tour of Misty Fjords in the morning and the crab feed in the afternoon.... I will definitely check it out when it gets closer. Thanks bunches! Now if RCCL would just open their bookings for 2007!! :)

Archived