Airlie Beach - Tendering & Port Douglas

Hi All, 

We have a cruise booked in Nov which stops at Airlie Beach and I believe its a tender port so I have a couple of questions - 

1. Does anyone know how choppy the waters are? One of us is prone to sea sickness and so I am wondering if he will find it a bit too much? 

2. The ship docks at 7am and we have book a tour where we need to meet at 10.20am - do you think that it is too risky? I am wondering if we should move to the next time available which is probably 12ish? 

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for GBR tours operating out of Port Douglas which work with cruise timings? I looked into one provider but they only get back to Port Douglas at 4.30pm which is cutting it too fine for us as the ship leaves at 5pm....they did offer a return helicopter option...which of course ain't cheap 🙂 

Thanks. 

1. If the wind is up then it can get very choppy. The ship tenders from a long way out but they mostly use large local tour boats for the tendering. These make for a drier and faster passage to shore.

2. You haven't said which ship you are on. If it is the Quantum of the Seas, then no. If it is a smaller ship then maybe, but you'd need to be quick of the mark in getting early tender tickets.

3. I don't know of any GBR tours in Port Douglas, Cairns or Airlie Beach that have timings that work out for cruisers. That is why the grossly overpriced ship tours always sell out.