What are the "don't miss" things at Xcaret?

MamaParrotHead

You're really going to have to pick and choose carefully, as there is far too much to do to even scrape the surface during such a short trip.

My favorites include:

floating down the rivers (there are two, the Mayan and the Underground).

the butterfly pavillion

the sea turtles (sometimes you can release them on the beach, not sure if this is every day)

watching the quail hatch

There is a small aquarium, a replica of a Mayan village, a bee farm, a mushroom farm, a lagoon and beach, tons of animals (land and water), restaurants, shows (most are at night, I believe the horse/rodeo show is during the day), an eco tour, snorkeling, snuba, dolphin swim, and the list goes on.

Being pressed for time, I skip the beach and lagoon, and the snorkeling, and generally the Mayan village, and a lot of other things I would really rather not skip. It depends on individual preferences, though.

Also I have only had time for one river per trip...but I have been twice.

I will not be going anymore from cruises as the time is much too short and all it does is frustrate me.

I hope to get married there one day, after I meet a guy crazy enough to marry me.:D

The swinging rope you "walk on" over the lagoon is so much fun! I wouldn't do the underground again-I was ready to get out half way through but had to stay with the kids (a little too crowded and closed in for me-we were there in June, staying in Akumal, but a cruise ship was there so it was crowded-but only in the river). We all loved the shooting water in the plaza-great way to cool down (and rinse off) and totally unexpected. Seeing a black Jaguar up close (or close enough anyway)

Personally, I wouldn't miss the snorkeling there even if you only have a few minutes. The brackish (sp?) water is something you don't get everywhere. This is a great place to get wet!

The highlight for me was being able to jump into a tidal pool(about 30 feet) scared the he## out of my dw, but I had a blast!!! the underground snorkeling was neat, but make sure to drink lots of bottled water (agua purificado) . We also enjoyed the ballet folkloreico (sp?) but that was later at night. have a great time!!!

Many of you mentioned that the underground river was cool - and that there were many different places to exit. What did you do with your "stuff?"

Are there lockers to rent at the entrance or something? Towels to dry off when you get off?

Did you wear water shoes or is barefoot OK?

Also, someone mentioned snorkeling in brackish water...where? Open or controlled? Weren't you afraid of sharks?

Muchas Gracias!:p

there are large bags supplied to you at the entrance of the underground caves. you can put your stuff in them and they are transported to the other end in a small cart. you are given a key to the lock on the bags to keep with you, but there are also lockers available in the changing rooms. (at least that is the way it was 2 years ago when we were there

No sharks. The water was interesting to me because you start in fresh water and head into salt water. I have only experienced this on the yucatan.

This scares me. We took a snorkel tour in Hawaii (Kona side of Big Island) and safety issues were stressed' date=' such as:

[b'] [/b]

• Don't swim, surf, or dive alone. The mere presence of your companion may deter a potentially dangerous shark and - should anything happen - at least help is close at hand.

• Avoid entering the ocean at between dusk and dawn. This is when sharks feed most actively and you cannot see well to defend yourself in the event of an attack.

• Avoid areas where there has recently been an attack or where large shark (longer than 5 feet or 1.5 metres) has recently been seen.

• Avoid entering the ocean near river mouths, especially after a rainstorm. Rain can wash organic molecules into the sea that might attract sharks.

• Wear swim goggles or a face mask and take the time to look beneath the surface regularly. Such will greatly increase your chances of spotting an approaching shark and, if necessary, defend yourself.

• Pay attention to what's going on in the marine environment around you. If fishes and other marine life suddenly disappear or begin to swim erratically, leave the water while looking around very carefully - a shark is probably hunting in the immediate area.

• Keep a first aid kit with you at all times and maintain current status in first aid training from a recognized agency. Having the appropriate tools and training may help save a life

I'm probably paranoid...I know that sharks generally try to avoid humans...but I'm also a scaredy cat!;)

Also, someone mentioned snorkeling in brackish water...where? Open or controlled? Weren't you afraid of sharks?

Muchas Gracias!:p

No sharks. There are grates to only allow small fish in and out. The only sharks you will see at Xcaret are the ones at the aquarium. You are safe.

there is a restaurant on top of the bluff overlooking the sea and the lagoon. very nice view and relaxing!

The restaurant (La Isla) you are talking about got hit by Emily in July and has been closed...but in the process of rebuilding. The best one now is Dos Playas...which does overlook the beach area and the water. Great food and love the limonada.

Archived