**LIVE** from MSC Seascape YC (Yacht Club) - Caribbean & Bahamas from Miami 14 September to 28 September 2024

Best Cat Mom

18 minutes ago, lahlah57 said:

You will see a black male with his Raider gear and a white female with pittsburgh steelers

I have learned that while on a cruise, like religion and politics, one does not discuss football.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, DaKahuna said:

Our worst September cruise experience was the Mexican Riviera cruise. We found out, since I did not research beforehand, that September is the hottest month to visit places like Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlán.  We took a ships shore excursion to Hotel California - which is in a desert portion of the Baja Peninsula.  It was so hot, my wife and I returned to the airconditioned comfort of the bus after only an hour or walking around the town and having lunch at the hotel. 

Yes our cruises in June and July were Mexico route and we had a time change to boot. Next time will opt for this route and no time change.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I have learned that while on a cruise, like religion and politics, one does not discuss football.

Probably just as well....if my DH finds out he has a like minded raiders fan he has a bestie and he will be at your door  yelling to come out and play! 🤣

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Our worst September cruise experience was the Mexican Riviera cruise. We found out, since I did not research beforehand, that September is the hottest month to visit places like Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlán.  We took a ships shore excursion to Hotel California - which is in a desert portion of the Baja Peninsula.  It was so hot, my wife and I returned to the airconditioned comfort of the bus after only an hour or walking around the town and having lunch at the hotel. 

Don't ever cruise to china in october....monsoon with humidity of 100%!

You prayed for your maker to take you! 😭

2 hours ago, lahlah57 said:

Has anyone sailed this time of year to the carribean?

This is our fifth sailing in the Caribbean in August/September. We've only had one cancellation due to weather and it was because a hurricane hit our embarkation port causing our ship to not be able to port on the day we were scheduled to board. If you're on a ship during bad weather, they'll simply sail to other ports to avoid really bad stuff. It is much better than a hotel in that the hotel can't move out of the path of bad weather LOL. We did miss Ocean Cay once, but that was due to wind and not rain (though I really don't recall what month it was).

In our experience, the pool buffet will remain open in rain. I recall us dashing from the elevator doors to the buffet a few times in the rain. There is shelter over the bar and bar seats and a few tables. You may find it crowded but I believe it will remain open and you will not have to subject yourselves to the regular buffet.

Edited by Best Cat Mom
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

This is our fifth sailing in the Caribbean in August/September. We've only had one cancellation due to weather and it was because a hurricane hit our embarkation port causing our ship to not be able to port on the day we were scheduled to board. If you're on a ship during bad weather, they'll simply sail to other ports to avoid really bad stuff. It is much better than a hotel in that the hotel can't move out of the path of bad weather LOL. We did miss Ocean Cay once, but that was due to wind and not rain (though I really don't recall what month it was).

These are pretty favorable odds 😬🤐

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MonsterJoe said:

I would recommend the requisite trip insurance through Allianz

Or an Amex Platinum card, which comes with the insurance included as well as the lounge membership, car rental higher status, Uber $150 annual credit, Saks Fifth Avenue $100 annual credit, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

You mentioned Uber being $20 to the cruise port.  Which hotel again did you choose for your pre-cruise stay?  We're still in the Marriott at Biscayne Bay. 

Embassy Suites by the airport. My next post will have some more about that hotel.

Is the Marriott the one overlooking the cruise ship port? I keep telling BCD that we should try there, since I have lifetime status and will get some nice perks.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

In our experience, the pool buffet will remain open in rain. I recall us dashing from the elevator doors to the buffet a few times in the rain. There is shelter over the bar and bar seats and a few tables. You may find it crowded but I believe it will remain open and you will not have to subject yourselves to the regular buffet.

Ohhhh good! Steerage is just too much for my lack of patience levels!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

I looked at this but it seems that (1) you are limited to the number of times you can bring a non-member guest with you and (2) you are limited to 15 visits a year.

I believe that Delta now does not allow any guests for free. Or maybe they have a membership option that does allow guests? I'm not sure. Now that I am retired, I use my Amex Platinum card for my membership vs. using my Delta Diamond and choosing the membership as one of my annual rewards.

Tell me more about this "15 visits a year." What membership type has a limit of 15? When I was still working, I was in the clubs at least 3 times a week, sometimes more. The first trip we took after Covid and my retirement, they still greeted my in (my not home airport of) Atlanta by saying, "It's nice to see you again, Mrs. BCM." Scary to know that they still remembered me!

46 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

The weather on the One Pool Deck is still very pleasant at 2:30 pm, with a constant breeze. Not at all like the stifling stagnant heat we had in July. September appears to be a winner for cruising.

Really surprised. We have not ventured up there yet. When the door to the patio opens in TSL, the blast of hot air is so oppressive that we just moved to a different table further from the door. You two are heartier souls than us!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Embassy Suites by the airport. My next post will have some more about that hotel.

Is the Marriott the one overlooking the cruise ship port? I keep telling BCD that we should try there, since I have lifetime status and will get some nice perks.

Eat your hearts out....we're staying at the Best Western Plus miami airport north. Where only the best of middle class folks stay 😁

And because they have shuttles from airport and to the port.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Is the Marriott the one overlooking the cruise ship port?

I believe it is but am not sure.  This will be our first time staying at his hotel.  We stayed at the JW Marriott in Brickell the one and only time we sailed out of Miami and stayed in Miami post cruise.  For our last cruise out of Miami we stayed in a Marriott in FLL and took a Lyft to the Miami cruise port from FLL. 

I'll try and get some good pictures you can share with him to try and help convince him.  

(I am lifetime Platinum with Marriott). 

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Tell me more about this "15 visits a year." What membership type has a limit of 15? When I was still working, I was in the clubs at least 3 times a week, sometimes more.

This is what I found on the web site about the Delta Sky Club American Express Member card  ( https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purchasemembership_performRequest.action )

*Effective February 1, 2025, Reserve Card Members will receive 15 Visits per year to the Delta Sky Club; to earn an unlimited number of Visits each year starting on February 1, 2025, the total eligible purchases on the Card must equal $75,000 or more between January 1, 2024 and December 31, 2024, and each calendar year thereafter. Once all 15 Visits have been used, Eligible Card Members may purchase additional Delta Sky Club Visits (including Grab and Go) at a per-Visit rate of $50 per person using the Card.

• Like 1

We boarded our first leg and enjoyed our Pre-Departure Beverages (PDBs).

image.thumb.jpeg.68cee51f1415f9826eb645609b126e57.jpeg

We had an uneventful flight with the usual snacks and beverages.

image.thumb.jpeg.ad8a87fd6fe437d4ac5be704ea7c396a.jpeg

We arrived a bit early to Atlanta into Terminal A and were pleasantly surprised to find out that our next flight was also in Terminal A. If you've changed planes at ATL, you know how rare that is.

As were were deplaning, the flight attendant thanked me for being a million miler. That doesn't happen so much these days now that I'm retired. It set a good mood for me for the rest of the day.

We had a 1.5 hour layover in ATL so we had some snacks and drinks in the Crown Room. We were in the Terminal A lounge in the middle, by PF Chang's. Apparently, they've added an area on the first club level now and it appeared to have food and beverages available for a quick stop. We sat upstairs in my usual area by the windows and enjoyed the offerings.

We headed to the gate and boarding was already in progress so we walked right on and were served PDBs.

image.thumb.jpeg.0a3a8cb62384930490aadfd2fc8f0368.jpeg

The couple across from us asked if we were going on a cruise and I thought,  do we look like cruise people? Should I be worried? Is looking like a cruise person a good thing or a bad thing? I'm still not quite sure.

Apparently they had just chatted with a couple at the gate who happened to be on their same cruise on Carnival out of Miami. They said that they were new to cruising and were trying each line once When I said we were on MSC, they said that they'd never heard of it. I kinda cheered in my head. We've gotta keep YC a secret!!!

We're drinking our PDBs, watching the security briefing and then there's an interruption. Apparently a passenger had an emergency and needed to deplane. They reconnected the jetway and the passenger left. We went back to the beginning of the safety video. We could hear the crew talking since we were in row 2 and they said once the video is interrupted, it must be replayed from the start.

We (finally) take off and BCD orders Woodford and Coke Zero. Flight attendant gives him a look and says she prefers rocks or neat. He says that the hint of cinnamon and vanilla in the Coke Zero really works. She passes by later and says she likes to shave cinnamon into water to make cinnamon ice to serve with her bourbon. BCD has filed this idea away for future consideration.

image.thumb.jpeg.b3b4abd7f9e960355ef7d7fe3ba977e0.jpeg

We land and everyone around us starts chatting. Two other couples around us also ask if we're going on a cruise and we realize that flying into Miami means that’s you're probably going on a cruise. Interestingly, we've flown into Miami at least half a dozen times but this is the first time anyone mentioned cruising. I fear we have come upon the age where we fit a certain "profile." And I'm still not sure if this is a good thing or not.

We retrieve our bags and head to the door for the shuttle. It takes a few minutes but then it comes and all these people rush it. One has a scooter and his family is struggling to get the driver to acknowledge that he can board.

BCD, a retired firefighter, decides that he must help the driver so begins slinging bags into the back of the shuttle as best he could to best fill up the back area to maximize space. Another passenger says that her family member has a scooter and wants to make sure it gets on board. The driver is kinda clueless so BCD and a few others make sure that the scooter and its rider is able to get on board and off at the hotel, which can be a lengthy process. At the hotel, BCD offloads the luggage with the driver and helps all the people get their luggage.

We checked in and received a digital room key while we were on the shuttle so we did not need to stop at the front desk, which was a good thing because there was a huge line at the desk when we got in there from unloading the shuttle.

We had chosen a new hotel for this trip, an Embassy Suites, instead of our usual Hyatt Place. We had started staying at the Hyatt Place before Covid, when they had an airport shuttle and I was the top tier in their frequent guest program. They eliminated the shuttle during Covid and have never replaced it. The Embassy is two hotels away from Hyatt Place and has a shuttle so we have now tapped into my Hilton points to give this property a try.

Here are some images of our King 2-room suite:

image.thumb.jpeg.f2e89a31d27a64514be5a4f5b26ed285.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c5d7d6c998fc3eb309e10df86e527593.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3463545f546c5c3f6c4017da4cb8edb6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.83e0c4125ddd78eb0386ec2c2a2f07fb.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7e26623cea8b4b8f3366fea7466fc666.jpeg

We went right to our room, freshened up and headed back to the evening social just as it was starting at 5:30pm.

We stood in line for 2 margaritas at the bar area they were using for the free drinks, which is different from the pay bar on the other side of the atrium. I was surprised that they did not ask for our room keys or anything else to identify us as guests. BCD wound up drinking both margaritas, as they were not to my liking.

There was a buffet of snacks which included chips/salsa and crudités/veggies.

We found a quiet area and within about 15 minutes are joined by the family we had met on the bus. We chatted awhile then left to have dinner in the hotel restaurant.

Surprisingly, it was a decent menu and reasonably priced. I ordered the 305 salad (a cobb salad) with chicken and BCD ordered a chicken quesadilla. We were impressed with the portion sizes, making the prices even more attractive:

I had two glasses of sauvignon blanc with my meal and BCD went back to the free bar for 4 more margaritas over the course of dinner. I noticed other guests bringing free drinks into the restaurant. There was no issue at all from the staff, which was another nice surprise. The hotel also had a very talented singer, who we commented could be considered YC-ready.

We headed back to the room around 9pm and set the alarm for 7am.

Embarkation day comes next...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

The couple across from us asked if we were going on a cruise and I thought,  do we look like cruise people? Should I be worried? Is looking like a cruise person a good thing or a bad thing? I'm still not quite sure.

I am convinced there is a glow or an aura that surrounds people who are headed for a cruise.  I think there must be a huge grin on our faces knowing we are about to be papered for a week that just made us look and carry ourselves differently. 

18 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We (finally) take off and BCD orders Woodford and Coke Zero. Flight attendant gives him a look and says she prefers rocks or neat.

I prefer my Woodford in the form of an Old Fashioned.  But I agree with the flight attendant, on the rocks or neat is preferable to having it with any form of Coke.  Now Diet Pepsi would be a different story!

19 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

She passes by later and says she likes to shave cinnamon into water to make cinnamon ice to serve with her bourbon. BCD has filed this idea away for future consideration.

Was she flirting with him?  😇

Seriously, I bet he could order that in the Top Sail Lounge and give it a try.   Could not hurt.  I'd be interested in knowing how it turns out.  Speaking of the TSL - any chance I could impose on you to see if they have Ron Zacapa 23 stocked?  I am anxious for a great New Fashioned. 

24 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

We had chosen a new hotel for this trip, an Embassy Suites,

I have not stayed in an Embassy Suites hotel in a very long time.  There was one company I worked for many years ago that let us stay pretty much anywhere that was covered by Government Per Diem and the Embassy Suites was one we looked out for because of their breakfast and evening happy hour (free beer and wine).  

28 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

The hotel also had a very talented singer, who we commented could be considered YC-ready.

We are looking forward to you report on the evening entertainment.  Who to make sure we don't miss and who, if anyone, we should look for alternative entertainment. 

• Like 2