First time cruisers thoughts from Regatta in Alaska

DJP31

We've now left our last port and are heading back to Vancouver. We should have been on this cruise in June '20 and I've been stalking and occasionally posting since. I'm very grateful to the posters who have either directly or indirectly helped me during this long wait.

For context we normally holiday 3 or 4 times a year, rarely for more than 10 days at a time, and are fussy about standards. We like luxury, cleanliness, good service and good food. We are not party people and are very happy with our own company.

So how have we got on? We've thoroughly enjoyed our time on Regatta and certainly see other Oceania cruises in our future. We have dined exclusively as a "two top" and in the GDR have not had to wait more than a few minutes for a table to become available. My wife is gluten free and the catering manager has done an excellent job in looking after her. A gluten free birthday cake topping all expectations.

Polo and Toscana were both very good, but both had empty tables on the nights we were there. Yet try and get a table for another night - always fully booked.

Terrace Cafe is fine, although can be bit of a scrum at times. Enjoyed Barista's and Waves plus the afternoon tea with the excellent string quartet.

We've met some lovely people and the age range is much younger than we were expecting, possibly this particular cruise has something to do with that.

We have a veranda stateroom and it's practicality leaves many top end hotels for dead - a big dressing table with a mirror and a stool, the under the bed space for luggage and more cupboards and shelves than a room this size would normally have.

Any negatives? Sometimes the service would fail and a request for something would be acknowedged but never arrive, but 90% of the time it works well.

I think in looking for our next one we will try for as few sea days as possible, for us it is about the ports and experiences off the ship but having a 5* hotel to return to makes for a great holiday.

• Like 11

So you are enjoying your experience, GREAT. I would hope you have made a trip to the O Club Ambassador’s office and booked a future cruise, somewhere, anywhere. This is a Must Do because if the reduced deposit, On Board Discount, SBC included on this trip or the future cruise. Do not let this opportunity pass because you a swap cruises one time without accruing any cancellation fees. 
You did not mention any Specialty dining stops, hopefully you got into Toscana and had some fabulous lasagne or any of the wonderful pastas or Dover Sole or …

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Mauibabes