Rumor - changes to wifi policy?

AtlantaCruiser72

One of my colleagues stated that the Silversea wifi policy has now changed and there will only be 1 login per suite included at a new "basic" tier (will not support streaming, VoIP, high bandwidth items like photo/video uploading/downloading, etc) and that it can be upgraded to premium for $29/day for duration of cruise.  If a second wifi login is needed/desired it will cost $30/day for basic and $59/day for premium.  No grandfathering of booked guests. 

I cannot find anything that supports this, does anyone have information whether this is true or not?  I'd call but their travel agent service desk is just as abysmal these days as the consumer direct service agents are.

9 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

One of my colleagues stated that the Silversea wifi policy has now changed and there will only be 1 login per suite included at a new "basic" tier (will not support streaming, VoIP, high bandwidth items like photo/video uploading/downloading, etc) and that it can be upgraded to premium for $29/day for duration of cruise.  If a second wifi login is needed/desired it will cost $30/day for basic and $59/day for premium.  No grandfathering of booked guests. 

I cannot find anything that supports this, does anyone have information whether this is true or not?  I'd call but their travel agent service desk is just as abysmal these days as the consumer direct service agents are.

We boarded SDawn yesterday.  There is free WiFi for one device for each passenger for basic (so 2 per suite). If you want to use an additional device, you need to log out of the 1st and log in to the second one. If you want to use both devices simultaneously (eg phone and Ipad),  you need to upgrade and pay. 

Streaming with basic does work with some pauses, but probably not good enough for a live  NFL game or a movie. No problems with What's App voice calls, still need to try video calls

10 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I haven’t heard any such plans.  Rumour mill?  Currently there is one device per passenger, but it is only $30 per cruise to add a second device to the standard plan.  Basic never did support streaming, but no problems with downloading/uploading.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Port Power said:

I haven’t heard any such plans.  Rumour mill?  Currently there is one device per passenger, but it is only $30 per cruise to add a second device to the standard plan.  Basic never did support streaming, but no problems with downloading/uploading.

I was on the Shadow very recently and this was the case for using the standard, free (well, included in the fare), wifi.

Maybe there is some confusion about the double options to upgrade?

Using the standard plan, one can upgrade to a second device per log in for $30 per cruise.

OR one can upgrade to the premium wifi which (very recently anyway) is $20 per day whole cruise or $29 per 24hr slot for up to four devices simultaneously.

When setting up the wifi log in it can be a bit confusing - I once upgraded from one device on standard to two when I meant to upgrade from standard to premium - I had to go to reception to sort it which they did very quickly.

Looking at the prices quoted by the OP, they seem to be a mangling of both sorts of upgrade?

Now, I'm not saying this hasn't changed but no-one else has reported a change - perhaps we must wait for further reports? I'm not back on board till November ...

Edited by jollyjones

53 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I was on the Shadow very recently and this was the case for using the standard, free (well, included in the fare), wifi.

Maybe there is some confusion about the double options to upgrade?

Using the standard plan, one can upgrade to a second device per log in for $30 per cruise.

OR one can upgrade to the premium wifi which (very recently anyway) is $20 per day whole cruise or $29 per 24hr slot for up to four devices simultaneously.

When setting up the wifi log in it can be a bit confusing - I once upgraded from one device on standard to two when I meant to upgrade from standard to premium - I had to go to reception to sort it which they did very quickly.

Looking at the prices quoted by the OP, they seem to be a mangling of both sorts of upgrade?

Now, I'm not saying this hasn't changed but no-one else has reported a change - perhaps we must wait for further reports? I'm not back on board till November ...

I don’t know why you quoted me, when you were simply expanding on what I had already stated.  I hope the OP is following this thread.