New to Royal Caribbean and looking to book a European Cruise. What room should I get?

I know, my dh is looking at a balcony room. It will be two adults and two kids. We are hoping to the Brillance of the Sea 12 cruise in Summer of 2007. I noticed that within a cateogry there are numbers like D1, E2, X. Not sure what those letter number combinations mean. Is there a handy chart I can refer to? Also, I read that some cabins are on hump? What does that mean?

Thanks,

Tina

I am not an expert here as I tend to book inside cabins....however you can go to http://www.royalcaribbean.com go to ships and deck plans and you can look at cabins from there. However it won't tell you which ones are available. Hump cabins and aft cabins have bigger balconies that is why they are "prime real estate" so to speak. Have fun!

~Jen

E cabins are smaller than D cabins by around 30 sq. ft. The numbers mostly refer to location of the cabin. The lower the number (E1 VS E2) the more desirable the location (theoretically) and the higher the price.

We did the Brilliance 12 night Venice cruise in an E1 cabin and did just fine.

Hump means that as the side of ship bows out to the furthest point (a "hump") on each side the cabin on the hump is at the apex of the curve, and therefore the people on either side can't look into their cabin (easily, anyway).

The aft cabins (at the back end of the ship) are prized because you can see all sorts of stuff from there. I believe these are usually larger cabins.

The categories you see pertain to different "classes" within that category. For example, an oceanview cabin might be a category F if it's on deck 6 while a deck 3 oceanview might be a category I -- and you pay less the higher you go in the alphabet.

If you have alot of questions you might contact a Travel Agent that specializes in cruises. It doesn't cost you anything since they get commission from the cruiseline. The TA can ensure that you get exactly what you want for your cruise vacation. Many TA's have been on most of the ships that they sell, so they can even give you first hand experience.

We took the family on Brilliance to the med. in 2004 and loved the balcony cabin. The weather is mild and listening to the sea with the door open at night was awesome. Seeing lights twinkling at night while you sail on the islands is relaxing. We even passed a volcano at 6 am (happened to wake up at that time) just in time to see it puffing smoke and at the base was a small fishing village with boats out in the water.

We stayed about 5 cabins off of the hump and had a great cabin and a large balcony. We saw no need to spend the extra money on a hump cabin.

The med. cruise is port intensive and sitting out on the balcony to relax before dinner is just what a body needs after a busy day ashore.

Having done a northern Europe cruise I would choose an oceanview or inside cabin as the weather in not necessarily conducive to sitting out on the balcony.

Archived