Snorkeling gear on Xpedition

janesm

On our November/December 2005 Xpedition trip, there were a couple of people who were interested in diving. Every night the cruise director asked for other certified divers to identify themselves if they were interested since they needed a couple of other people. At that time, he said that divers had to have advanced certification for cold water and restricted visibility.

They never did find other divers on our trip, so the 2 hopeful scuba divers didn't get to go.

Oh, and when the call goes out to pick up your snorkle gear, make sure that you go then. Don't wait. We were about 45 minutes late (caught talking in the dining room with some very interesting non-snorklers), and I ended up with a wet suit that was several sizes too big...

Advanced Certs are required, make sure you HAVE your C-card with you, they won't "take your word for it." If you take your time snorkeling you can see almost everything. I have pic's 'n vid's that put me back in the water. Black-tip, white tip, turtles out the whazoo.But the best are with the sea lions.

I personally prefer my own snorkel and have to have my prescription lenses, but they have enerything else.

Let me know

i755@hotmail.com

Advanced Certs are required, make sure you HAVE your C-card with you, they won't "take your word for it." If you take your time snorkeling you can see almost everything. I have pic's 'n vid's that put me back in the water. Black-tip, white tip, turtles out the whazoo.But the best are with the sea lions.

I personally prefer my own snorkel and have to have my prescription lenses, but they have enerything else.

Let me know

i755@hotmail.com

Do you have any snorkelling pics you can share? I'd love to see them!

What sizes of wetsuits do they have? What is the mm? What brand do they have onboard? I think I should try on some at a dive shop here so I know what to ask for.

I have a pear shaped body, very big hips, and am 5'2". (they have always been 2 sizes larger than the rest of me, even when I weighed 100 lb)

Looking at wet suits online I need an 16 for my hips but that mean I should be 5' 10' or taller.

There just doesn't seem to be any reality in ladies wetsuits.

Rubysky - they have your size. They have a comparitively large selection. When you get a moment Sunday evening, if you can before dinner, try your suit on. They are a "chore" to put on, make sure you can move your arms thru a full circle and that you can breathe close to normal, i.e. without straining. It is not an easy task. We went in Feb and all but two of the dives - didn't need the wetsuit.

One thing you may want to take with you is a snorkel hood. They're lightweight and easy to pack and really help you retain body heat in cold water. The Xpedition has a good selection of snorkel gear but no hoods (at least they didn't in October of '05).

Frank

The majority of the cruisers on our trip last week snorkeled. They were able to fit everyone.

I also saw them unpacking a new shipment of new wetsuits on our last day so they must replenish their supply on a regular basis. I bet they will be able to provide what you need.

Speaking of larger sizes...there was one woman on our ship who was quite large and had a really difficult time fitting through the panga stair rails. Every time we entered or left the pangas, except wet landings, we were required to use the stairs which had metal railings on either side. Just thought I would mention it ... for those who are very large, it might be worth asking Celebrity about this. This is not a good cruise for those who have mobility issues.

Rubysky:

Stick figures and about 21-25 years old. Couple of things, I am only guessing, but we had a few that were relatively your shape - not a problem, they can get you fitted. One thing that might help would be to pick up what is caled a "skin", it offfers NO thermal protection, it is intended simply to provide a layer from scraping the body against stuff and against jellyfish. It acts as a "slick" liner, allowing the wetsuit to go on much easier, but you are still trying to push and reshape the body into neoprene. It is a contortionist dream sometimes. DOn't know when you are going, we were there in Feb and I only needed them once, wife did two times. The rest were beach dives and very comfortable.

Joyce15:

I believe in the book it talks about mobility issues. There is no elevator, but the steps are not bad. We had one or two "larger folks and they made it around, but it was a chore for them.

This is an adventure cruise, be ready for everything to be different from ANY other cruise you have been on.

Thrpy, ty. Don't worry, I'm not that large. It is just that the hips are 2 sizes larger than the rest of me, and I don't seem to fit anywhere on the "size charts"

Would a pr of pantyhose work as well as a skin, or would I be embarassing myself? :eek: We will be there the in early Jan.

Mobility isn't a problem. I'm in better shape for climbing stairs than some folk that are younger & slimmer than I am. I know this from past cruise experience. I tour the ships by walking the length and then up the stairs to see every deck. Huz won't do it with me, seems to think I am crazy.

Rubysky:

Tell huz he needs to get out some. The first day - Sunday, you get on the ship and a little more than an hour, you're hitting the first island, which is absolutely fabulous for animal life. Later in the week when you climb the steps to the marker, you'll be glad you worked on the walking. If you watch the movie "Master and Commander" you will see pinnacle rock and stand just about where the cameras were.

On the wetsuit, it all depends on getting one that fits. Afte you figure out the shceme, it's not too bad. Like I said, many of the dives are from the beach, i.e. pantyhose difficult. Listen to the evening briefings and you wil figure things out. Sit back, have a drink (open bar) and listen to the naturalist - they are GREAT, and they know what they are talking about.

Archived