thermal pool Azores

Can anyone recommend a thermal pool? Our current itinerary includes visiting Sete Cidades, fLagoa do Fogo and Salto do Cabrito. How far away is Poça da Dona Beija? Would that be a good thermal springs to add or is there another you'd recommend?

sorry, previous forum post should have included the location so people would know what  I was talking about.  If you know how to delete a post, please let me know or moderators please feel free to delete my other post that didn't mention the Azores.

6 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

... sorry, previous forum post should have included the location so people would know what  I was talking about.  If you know how to delete a post, please let me know or moderators please feel free to delete my other post that didn't mention the Azores.

Hello @kitkat343

Your other thread regarding the same topic has been removed.

In the future if your edit time-limit has expired to edit one of your thread titles let us know by using the Report feature. Click here: How To: Report a Post

Just use the Thread Needs Attention: (ex: Wrong Forum, Move Thread, Edit etc) radio button and let us know what your new title should be in the Optionally enter a message with your report section.

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads on the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. As with other forums on our boards, you may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. 

Also, I suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies such as this one. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications to your Cruise Critic email address of record or as notifications when you click the Notifications Bell (located upper right to the left of your user name over the Search bubble in the second blue bar above). If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

Hope this information will be helpful!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

2 hours ago, Host Kat said:

Hello @kitkat343

Your other thread regarding the same topic has been removed.

In the future if your edit time-limit has expired to edit one of your thread titles let us know by using the Report feature. Click here: How To: Report a Post

Just use the Thread Needs Attention: (ex: Wrong Forum, Move Thread, Edit etc) radio button and let us know what your new title should be in the Optionally enter a message with your report section.

If you ever need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads on the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. As with other forums on our boards, you may find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you. 

Also, I suggest you use the Follow feature on any new threads you start or any other threads or forums where you are interested in the new replies such as this one. That way you will not have to go looking to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications to your Cruise Critic email address of record or as notifications when you click the Notifications Bell (located upper right to the left of your user name over the Search bubble in the second blue bar above). If you need information on how to do it, please click here: How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info) and here: How To: Change Email Settings/Unsubscribe: Notification Settings

Hope this information will be helpful!

Happy sails,

Host Kat

Thanks so much!  So sorry for the inconvenience.

12 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Thanks so much!  So sorry for the inconvenience.

@kitkat343

No problem! Glad to be of service.

Posted (edited)
On 10/4/2024 at 2:35 AM, kitkat343 said:

Can anyone recommend a thermal pool? Our current itinerary includes visiting Sete Cidades, fLagoa do Fogo and Salto do Cabrito. How far away is Poça da Dona Beija? Would that be a good thermal springs to add or is there another you'd recommend?

How much time do you have in port and are you planning to do a tour or rent a car to do this itinerary? We visited Sao Miguel for a week in 2019. Poca da Dona Beija is near Furnas which I think would be too far away from the other sights mentioned to add to your itinerary and get back to the ship on time. There is a thermal pool,Caldeira Velha, near Salto do Cabrito mentioned in this link, but I have not visited it. 

https://www.saomiguelguide.com/en/salto-do-cabrito

We did four days of private van tours with a guide and one day visited Terra Nostra Park in Furnas, which has a large thermal pool. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by marys350

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3000943-the-azores/#comment-67899588

This previous thread has all the information you would need.  My family has been to Sao Miguel twice.  I would recommend Ponta da Ferraria as the best, if you can be there near the low tide time (+/- 2 hours).  Second choice is Terra Nostra garden, because you get to walk around the garden as well as the unlimited time in the pool. Third choice is Dona Beija, because it's limited to 2 hours and you have to book the admission online ahead of time.

There is a thermal pool directly in front of where the cruise ships dock. I put my foot in and it was invigorating 😃 If we ever visit there definitely going swimming there

On 10/8/2024 at 4:19 PM, LJJQ said:

There is a thermal pool directly in front of where the cruise ships dock. I put my foot in and it was invigorating 😃 If we ever visit there definitely going swimming there

There is a regular outdoor swimming pool and an adjacent area where you can swim in the ocean.  They are in downtown Ponta Delgada, right in front of the cruise terminal, but I am pretty sure the ocean pool is not thermal.  Whereas the pool in Ponta da Ferraria (actually a natural cove and accessible from metal stairs installed in the rocks)  is fed by hot springs from the ocean floor and can be as warm as 110 degrees.  Swimming there was the highlight of our trip.

On 10/8/2024 at 3:45 PM, marys350 said:

How much time do you have in port and are you planning to do a tour or rent a car to do this itinerary? We visited Sao Miguel for a week in 2019. Poca da Dona Beija is near Furnas which I think would be too far away from the other sights mentioned to add to your itinerary and get back to the ship on time. There is a thermal pool,Caldeira Velha, near Salto do Cabrito mentioned in this link, but I have not visited it. 

https://www.saomiguelguide.com/en/salto-do-cabrito

We did four days of private van tours with a guide and one day visited Terra Nostra Park in Furnas, which has a large thermal pool. Let me know if you have any questions.

We have a private tour with a driver but are only there for one day on a transatlantic.  the guide recommended Caldeira Velha, probably due to the itinerary.  Is there anything near our itinerary you'd recommend for a child?  Thanks so much.

Edited by kitkat343

On 10/8/2024 at 4:07 PM, mleng said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/3000943-the-azores/#comment-67899588

This previous thread has all the information you would need.  My family has been to Sao Miguel twice.  I would recommend Ponta da Ferraria as the best, if you can be there near the low tide time (+/- 2 hours).  Second choice is Terra Nostra garden, because you get to walk around the garden as well as the unlimited time in the pool. Third choice is Dona Beija, because it's limited to 2 hours and you have to book the admission online ahead of time.

Thanks - this is great.  Is there anything else near our tour you'd recommend for a 5 year old child?

7 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

Thanks - this is great.  Is there anything else near our tour you'd recommend for a 5 year old child?

You have a 5 year old?  I didn't know that.  I would rescind my recommendation of Ponta da Ferraria in this case.  It's a natural cove with sharp and uneven volcanic rocks all around and at the bottom of the cove. It's not easy to just walk through the rock field into the cove, and after you are in the water, the waves will crash in and then the undertow will be pulling you out.  There are ropes above the water surface to allow swimmers to hold onto, so that they don't get sucked out to the ocean.  It's not a place I would bring anybody if they cannot take care of themselves in the water. 

In your earlier comment you said that you already planned visits to Sete Cidades, Lagoa do Fogo and Salto do Cabrito.  They are not close to each other, and they are all heavily oriented toward scenery and hiking.  You really should budget 3~4 hours at each place to fully appreciate it.  Unless you just want to drive to each place, take a few selfies and then leave, I would not recommend this kind of itinerary, not to mention your child is going to be bored out of his/her mind.

I would recommend that you go to only one place, plus a little bit of walking around downtown Ponta Delgada near the cruise terminal if you have time/energy left, before going back to the ship. If this child is capable of swimming (in calm water) and has a certain level of stamina to walk a couple of miles (on paved but hilly streets), then Terra Nostra + Furnas is still a good choice, as it will be interesting to both adults and child.  You can enjoy the pool for an hour or so, then walk around the garden for a bit, then nearby in the town of Furnas, you can see the wonder of geothermal vents bubbling out of the ground, taste different mineral waters and eat a traditional meal (cabbage, potato, and meat) cooked in the geothermal vents.  In Furnas, there is even a nice children's playground in a beautiful public park, and a public restroom next to it. You probably don't need a private tour if you are just going to Furnas -- you can take a taxi there and hail another taxi back to downtown after you are done, but if you prefer to have somebody taking care of the logistics, your private guide should be able to plan a full but relaxing itinerary around Furnas for 4~5 hours for you.  

4 hours ago, mleng said:

You have a 5 year old?  I didn't know that.  I would rescind my recommendation of Ponta da Ferraria in this case.  It's a natural cove with sharp and uneven volcanic rocks all around and at the bottom of the cove. It's not easy to just walk through the rock field into the cove, and after you are in the water, the waves will crash in and then the undertow will be pulling you out.  There are ropes above the water surface to allow swimmers to hold onto, so that they don't get sucked out to the ocean.  It's not a place I would bring anybody if they cannot take care of themselves in the water. 

In your earlier comment you said that you already planned visits to Sete Cidades, Lagoa do Fogo and Salto do Cabrito.  They are not close to each other, and they are all heavily oriented toward scenery and hiking.  You really should budget 3~4 hours at each place to fully appreciate it.  Unless you just want to drive to each place, take a few selfies and then leave, I would not recommend this kind of itinerary, not to mention your child is going to be bored out of his/her mind.

I would recommend that you go to only one place, plus a little bit of walking around downtown Ponta Delgada near the cruise terminal if you have time/energy left, before going back to the ship. If this child is capable of swimming (in calm water) and has a certain level of stamina to walk a couple of miles (on paved but hilly streets), then Terra Nostra + Furnas is still a good choice, as it will be interesting to both adults and child.  You can enjoy the pool for an hour or so, then walk around the garden for a bit, then nearby in the town of Furnas, you can see the wonder of geothermal vents bubbling out of the ground, taste different mineral waters and eat a traditional meal (cabbage, potato, and meat) cooked in the geothermal vents.  In Furnas, there is even a nice children's playground in a beautiful public park, and a public restroom next to it. You probably don't need a private tour if you are just going to Furnas -- you can take a taxi there and hail another taxi back to downtown after you are done, but if you prefer to have somebody taking care of the logistics, your private guide should be able to plan a full but relaxing itinerary around Furnas for 4~5 hours for you.  

Thank you so much - this is extremely helpful both in the short term, and longer term (I hope to eventually return to the Azores and by then the kids will be bigger or I'll be on my own and I'll definitely visit Ponta da Ferraria on a future visit.)