Dolphin Swim Excursion in Mexico

SoccerMom#3

I asked this on the Mexican Riviera board but I thought I'd ask here also. My son and I are thinking about doing the dolphin swim in Puerta Vallerta but wondered if there are any options other than the excursion arranged thru Carnival. Also is PV the only place we can do this or is there a place in Cabo that offers this.

As always, thanks everyone for your help. What would I ever do without these boards?

Elise

7/11 Pride Cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;07;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Vallarta Adventures is a very special tour operator
from
[url="http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/english/guest_comments.html"]http://www.vallarta-adventures.com/english/guest_comments.html[/url]

Dolphin Adventures
from
[url="http://charterdreams.com/dolphinswim/"]http://charterdreams.com/dolphinswim/[/url]

USS Chilton APA-38 1966-1968
USS Guam LPH-9 1968-1970
Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda
Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 "Eastern Caribbean"
Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 "Panama Canal"

Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004

NOT UPDATED again 25 Feb [url="http://www.geocities.com/fsbsdel"]www.geocities.com/fsbsdel[/url]

Try [url="http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/"]http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/[/url] that's who I am going through next week in Cozumel.

Elation 6/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;06;27;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

TheRainbows1999 - Please post when you return. I would love to hear how the dolphin swim goes in Cozumel. I'm going on the Elation in September and I booked with Dolphindiscovery for a Royal Swim while in Cozumel.

My 9 year old daughter and I did the dolphin swim in Puerta Vallarta last week and it was fabulous! From what I understand, you can't book it outside of the ship because they buy out the whole day. You must book it as soon as you get on the ship - it sold out by the first dinner seating!

It was the most incredible thing I have ever done, outside of having my kids! It's so awesome to be swimming around these creatures and they loved being stroked and rubbed. My daughter was a little freaked out at first because the dolphins just bump into you and will slap with their tails, but she soon got used to them and had a great time.

Do it - you'll enjoy every minute!

We were in Cozumel just last week and arranged the Royal Swim last Feb for my 2 young adult kids, hubby and myself. We enjoyed it - but in all honesty I was hoping for a little more free swim time with the dolphins for that amount of money. My kids have wanted to do that ever since they were little so I was happy to pay that to fulfill that dream, but don't think it would be on the "must do again" list for us.

Be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ on the pics and video though! Hubby was a bit shocked how fast $150 could be spent!:D

[quote name='babs275']We were in Cozumel just last week and arranged the Royal Swim last Feb for my 2 young adult kids, hubby and myself. We enjoyed it - but in all honesty I was hoping for a little more free swim time with the dolphins for that amount of money. My kids have wanted to do that ever since they were little so I was happy to pay that to fulfill that dream, but don't think it would be on the "must do again" list for us.

Be prepared to spend a lot of $$$ on the pics and video though! Hubby was a bit shocked how fast $150 could be spent!:D[/QUOTE]

We were there last week also! My daughter did the dolphin swim and loved it. We didn't buy the video, but did get pics and the "I swam with dolphins" t-shirt. It was a great experience for her.

By the way, while she was down there she put her water proof camera on the dock and some picked it up. I know they all look alike, so someone is going to be surprised when they develop pictures of my family at Grand Cayman and Cozumel. If anyone should have these, please let me know. I would love to have these. She took some snorkeling for her first time and we would love to see them.

Carnival does buy all the tours for the day they are in port and they do sell fast. If you want the dolpin swim, do it quickly. We were too late and did the dolphin encounter but I tried to buy the dolpin swim off other people while we were there with a $50 bill but no one wanted to give it up. The dolphin encounter was very good too and $50 less but I would opt for the dolphin swim.

I'm confused. If my son and I want to do the Dolphin swim the day we are in Puerta Vallerta we can either book it ahead of time with the company or book it as soon as we board the Pride. The only difference is price.

Is that right?

Elise

[quote name='SoccerMom#3']I'm confused. If my son and I want to do the Dolphin swim the day we are in Puerta Vallerta we can either book it ahead of time with the company or book it as soon as we board the Pride. The only difference is price.

Is that right?

Elise[/QUOTE]
We booked ours in Cozumel through Sherri at cozumelinsider.com. This was done a few months before we cruised. The excursions could be booked on the ship, with a higher cost. I guess you are going to risk having the spaces for the dolphin swim filled before you can make your reservation.

Dolphin swim: you actually swim out and the dolphins will pull you by their dorsal fins. You swim out again and the dolphins will push by the bottoms of your feet. Also you will have the encounter as well where you touch the dolphin, kiss the dolphin and the dolphin kisses you. Also your group will form a circle and the dolphins will swim along and behind you.

Word of advice: a one piece bathing suit is highly recommended for the dolphin royal swim.

Arlene

[quote name='SoccerMom#3']I'm confused. If my son and I want to do the Dolphin swim the day we are in Puerta Vallerta we can either book it ahead of time with the company or book it as soon as we board the Pride. The only difference is price.

Is that right?

Elise[/QUOTE]

In Puerta Vallarta, you cannot book it yourself as Carnival buys up all of the slots for that day. You have to go through the ship.

Go to [url]www.Dolphindiscovery.com[/url] and it will give you all the info you need.
My friend did the tour but did not book thru ship- It was wonderful.(Her daughter is the one who did the Royal swim) We just watched and took lots of pics.
The website will show you all the info about the differences and Cost.
We loved it
Karen

To do the dolphin swim in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, you MUST book it thru the ship. It is run by Vallarta Adventures but the obove poster is correct in that Carnival buys out the day so you can not book on your own--only thru the ship.

A few years ago you could book directly thru Vallarta Adventures but this has now changed. I would sign up for this one as soon as I got on the ship!!!

That is my plan for next May, anyway!! If you do it, please be sure to share you experience. Have a great time.

Update on earlier post regarding reserving dolphin swim. I made the reservation thru [url]www.cozumelinsider.com[/url] but they are booked up already. I'm going to try [url]www.dolphindiscovery.com[/url] today and see what I can do there. Sherri from cozmelinsider said that the Royal swim program is usually booked up months in advance.

We will be taking the Panama Canal repositioning cruise next year, to S.F. My daughter very much wants to swim with the dolphins I think they have that at Acapolco. Has anynoe done that there or we will be also stopping in Aruba. As also thanks to everyone for the great help on this board.
Delores

I'll have to tell you about my experiences with booking excursions outside of the cruise line system. I wanted to participate in a dolphin swim and took the advice of someone on the critic to book outside the cruise line.....it will save me money.....
Well, our cruise was on June 6th and we were scheduled to go to Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel on the 11th. I booked this myself. All was well.

Now--- keep in mind....the cost for this is 99.00 each. I wasn't told about the 12.00 each fee in order to get into the park and then the cab will cost you a tad bit also!!! There were six of us.....that totals to somewhere over 600.00!!! I thought nothing could stand in my way.

Well, that day it rained like mad!!!! As the day went on, it got worse. We were to be there at 2:30 p.m......(remember, the time in Mexico is an hour behind....the ship stays on their time and doesn't change) At around 2:00 it started up a nice little storm. The lightning shot everywhere and the rain became much much worse. I called Dolphin Discovery and asked about the situation and they said that they were still going to carry on with it. I wondered how they expected us to do this in monsoon rains and lightning!!
I wasn't about to get in water when it was lightning!!!
This establishment would not let me cancel!!!!
Well, we decided not to go. After many emails and discussions with the "higher ups", they finally gave me half my money back...

Now, everyone who booked an excursion that day with the cruise line had the option of cancelling and getting their money back in this situation. I lost 300.00!!! I couldn't imagine these people making you get out in the water on such a bad day!!!

So,,,, the moral of this story.... Stay with the cruise line excursions.

One would never even think this would happen to them!!! We didn't!!!
It's supposed to be picture perfect on everyone's vacation!!!

So, be careful... the weather is so unpredictable this time of year...anything could happen.

sealover

We used shoretrips.com They were very nice and gave us lots of information. Some of their trips seemed a little pricey, but the dolphin stuff was in line with what I have read elsewhere. Anyone else ever use them?
Donna

Archived