All inclusive resorts????

Cruisee Q

My husband and I just returned from our first cruise Carnival Valor 2/19 and absolutely LOVED it!! We are trying to plan our next family vacation and can't decide between another cruise (Disney probably) or an all inclusive resort. We have 2 boys ages 5 and 7. Any of you seasoned travelers have advice??? Please help...

Cruisee Q

My husband and I just returned from our first cruise Carnival Valor 2/19 and absolutely LOVED it!! We are trying to plan our next family vacation and can't decide between another cruise (Disney probably) or an all inclusive resort. We have 2 boys ages 5 and 7. Any of you seasoned travelers have advice??? Please help...

Cruisee Q

I took my son on one of the first Disney cruises and he loved it, at that point in time I think he was 12. The ship gives the parent a beeper in case they or your child, need to contact you for anything. The cruise line really caters to the children in the respect of activities for them. I had a very good time myself.

As far as all inclusive resorts, I have been to a couple of them. All your food and drinks(alcohol) are paid for which is good for adults. I never have taken my son to an all inclusive, so not sure how children would like it. Maybe someone else that has taken children to an all inclusive resorts can give their view point. From my experience, I would choose the Disney cruise for you and your boys.

We really love all-inclusives. The best thing is that there aren't extra costs like cruises - ALL drinks are included, and most do not expect you to tip, in fact for some there are rules against tipping.

As a family we have been to a Beaches resort and a different one in Cancun. They are great since you are not tied on a a ship and have freedom to do anything you want every day. The kids got to go to the beach and swim in the pool daily and we also got to visit some local attractions.

As a surprise for DH I have also booked one for couples only (no kids!) for our 10th Anniversary and I am dreaming of that even though it's not until Nov! We were hooked after our wonderful honeymoon at one.

In my experience, I have not been able to find an all inclusive which provides the same value as a Carnival cruise. Even with the tips and whatever sign and sail charges result from wine with dinner, etc., I've just found the cruise impossible to beat.

Add to that, DD just turned 3, and several resorts I looked into had a minimum age for the resorts version of camp that was 4 or 5.

Plus, DH hates to be tied down (within 36 hours of landing on an island, he'd be looking into ferry schedules and renting a car to see what else is out there!) With a cruise, we're in motion, but mom isn't constantly packing and unpacking! We're fortunate that we haven't traveled a lot in the Caribbean, so it's all new to us (or it was before we discovered cruising!) We're just looking at port days as a way to get a flavor of the different places, so we can decide which ones we want to return to when the kids are older.

So, for now, we're loving cruising with Carnival!

Hope whatever you decide is awesome!

I have done three cruises and two all inclusives with my kids (now 7/10) in the last five years. We had a great time on all of the trips, however, I have to give the edge to the cruises. The quality of the food and the child facilities is much better on the ships. All three cruises were with Carnival and both all inclusive were with Barcelo. I was definitely not as impressed with the all inclusive in the Dominican Republic as I was in Rivera Maya (Mexico).

Currently, I am going to try a new cruise line, Princess, for Alaska in two months. I really can't wait for this one. I will also be planning an all inclusive in Costa Rica for next year. I really like the idea of varying the vacations to get the best of both worlds.

We've done 3 Disney cruises with the kids and one on celebrity. Cruising is a great family vacation with young kids. We are looking into Beaches as well. Nanny care for the babies and kids club for the older one. Just wish airfare wasn't so high. Otherwise the costs are about the same as a Disney Cruise.

I know this is a cruise message board, and I've been on a few cruises, I have to say my personal preference would be to stay at one of the nicer AI resorts on Cozumel over going on a cruise. If I go one a cruise, I only get one day of diving there, but if I stay on the island, I get a lot more diving. If it was only my choice, we'd be going there for Christmas again. This year I listened to the rest of the family and so we are going on a cruise. At least I got to pick the itinerary so I get to dive a new island, Grand Turk.

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: When out 3 kids were much younger, we did the Club Med, Sandpiper in Port St. Lucie, Florida. We always had a great time. They have a baby club and lots of stuff for every age group and grown ups to do. The food is always great and the rooms are HUGE!!! Many great memories of Club Med

I've found that with AI's it is easier for everyone to go off and do their own thing. DH golfing, DD at kid activities, me reading or snorkling. That can be good or bad :)

Since we think a family vacation is a time when we should be together, I don't really like that aspect of an AI. My cousin and her family (3.5YO son and 6YO daughter) just got back from Jamaca at a Beaches. She thought it was great because she didn't have to deal with the kids at all. They all had a great time, but it served to underscore why we stopped AIs. With a cruise there is enough to keep us all entertained, but we seem to do more things togehter and spend more time together. JME (and my preference).

I alwo have to concur with the value statement someone made earlier - cruises do seem to have a large enough price differential to make up for the less "inclusive" portion of our cruise bill!

I really enjoy an AI and these days more so than a cruise for a few reasons.

I love the beach and do not have to tender anywhere or wait in line to get to one.

I am sick and tired of chair hogs and have never had a problem at an AI finding a chair.

I prefer adult only vacations and at a couples only or adult only AI I am guaranteed that my space is not going to be shared by kids. On cruises these days, there is really no guarantee.

JMHO.

...I prefer adult only vacations and at a couples only or adult only AI I am guaranteed that my space is not going to be shared by kids. On cruises these days, there is really no guarantee.

JMHO.

an odd thing to post on a family discussion board, but this is probably a good idea, as it also benefits those of us who travel with kids. WE also have a better vaction experience if we don't have to share our space with people who prefer not to be around us.;) JMHO.

But back to the OP's question...we did stay at an AI in Mexico, but also prefer cruising. The younger kids (and I) prefer the excitement of being "on the move", and overall found more dining choices appropriate for younger kids. Both are great vacation options, however, and it really comes down to personal preference.

I really enjoy an AI and these days more so than a cruise for a few reasons.

I love the beach and do not have to tender anywhere or wait in line to get to one.

I am sick and tired of chair hogs and have never had a problem at an AI finding a chair.

I prefer adult only vacations and at a couples only or adult only AI I am guaranteed that my space is not going to be shared by kids. On cruises these days, there is really no guarantee.

JMHO.

Strange i thought this was the family board.

Archived