What is good or bad about Carnival??

mac4cruise

I have been on 9 cruises and only my last one, this March, was with Carnival. We went on the Valor. WE have sailed Rccl, Princess, Celebrity,NCL then Carnival. We had a great time with our teens, probably the best ever. The atmosphere is so much more fun than the others (not that I've ever had a bad cruise...ever). We were so pleasantly surprised at the constant fun and people seemed more into the games and shows and dancing in the dining room. We will almost certainly go with them for next spring break. They have the best prices and possibly some of the best food

among other things. I can't give you any negatives because I was always

of the thought that CArnival was the cheap, crappy cruise line. I booked it because of the $ and because we wanted to try a line that we had never tried. Carnival beat our expectations in every area so would I complain.

After 9 cruises, I find that Carnival has the best prices of any. Especially for single cruisers. Although I loved RCCL Voyager of the Seas, they don't have good rates for single cruisers.

I will be taking my 10th cruise this October on the Conquest and am really exicted by my first single 1-A room with 2 picture windows, not portholes.

I only wish that Carnival offered more for their repeat cruisers.

I have cruised Carnival 8 times and have thoroughly enjoyed each and every cruise. The food is wonderful, the staff friendly. There is always something to do. And most of the people we meet on these cruises are so nice. I don't think I would ever cruise another line. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The only negative I can think of and I'm sure it's just not Carnival is the shore tours. Most of the time the ship's shore tours are more expensive than the ones you can book on your own. However for first time cruisers it would probably be more comfortable to book it through the ship.

Carnival, just like any other cruise line, offers a "product" that meets the needs of those who like that "product". It doesn't mean that Carnival (or their passengers) are any better or any worse than any other cruise line.

Currently, Carnival is meeting our families needs. That is why we just booked our 14th cruise with them. We have sailed as a family on 12 different ships (13 in October) and I like the fact that Carnival is consistant. I know what to expect. I like the "product" that I get for the money.

True Carnival cruises can have problems, just like any other cruise line. That's life. If you fly...if you do land travel...if you RV...stuff is going to happen. You are going to get a bad meal at a very popular restaurant that is having an off night. Flights are delayed or cancelled. RV's break down. Resorts have an off week. "Stuff" happens. Seasoned travelers know how to roll with the flow.

Will we cruise on another line one day? Absolutely. I intend to hit as many cruises on as many cruise lines as I can stuff into the rest of my traveling life.

There are some Carnival cruises that I try to avoid. The 3 day cruises, because it is more of the "drink and sink" environment and I'm not into that.

We will probably try to avoid the smaller ships (Holiday and Celebration) simply because these ships don't handle the smoke very well (if there happens to be a lot of smokers) ...due to their small size. I am not saying we won't ever go on them. We had the Holiday booked for last October but it was cancelled due to Katrina. I realize now that this was probably a blessing. I was second guessing myself the whole time after I booked it. But I was excited to go on a CC cruise and that was suppose to be one of them.

Carnival (or any other cruise line) will deliver their product to the best of their ability. As long as the cruiser has done their research and made sure it is a match for them....95% will have smooth sailing.

Having cruising experience since 1982 (before the family ), hubby can attest that the 22nd cruise with Carnival he just completed was just as much fun as the first one he did in 1982.

Are there "dislikes"? Of course. That is what the comment cards are for and the letters to "Uncle Bob" after each cruise. Not to get something for nothing, but to do everything possible to improve a cruiseline that we expect to cruise with for years into the future.

Look for stains in the carpet or one meal that isn't perfect...and I guarantee a person will find it on Carnival. If those are the things that just ruin their whole cruise....then they have bigger problems than picking the wrong cruise line.

When things do go wrong, Carnival has done their best to make it right. Perfect nope. Delivering the "product" I want now....you betcha!!

I liked the fun (hairy chest, show in dining room, pool games, pool-side music, etc...), the food (all good to great imo), the service (excellent wait staff, steward), among other things. The shows were good. The Captains cocktail party (gotta love free drinks) was fun. Basically, I liked pretty much everything :)

I didn't like pushy photographers or high photo prices. While I liked having my picture taken, a few photographers were pretty pushy and essentially forced us into having an impromptu picture taken. Of course, we looked surprised and it was a weird picture. 20 dollars for an 8x10 seems too expensive to me.

We really do like and utilize their military pricing. It is the best in the cruise industry. So that is a major plus.

On the flip side now that we have sailed with them quite a bit we are tired of the same old itineraries. We do not like to repeat a cruise itinerary twice if we can help it. That now is our problem with Carnival. They primarily sail the Caribbean, Mexican Riveria and Alaska. The Med cruise that they recently started we have already sailed it on another cruise line prior to Carnival offering their European itinerary.

So we like the military pricing and now do not like their never changing itineraries.

So that now pretty much leaves us no longer sailing on Carnival even though we would like to do so for economic reasons.

We now have to spend more to go to places we have not yet visited. So that is what we are now doing.

Lived up in Bangor, Maine for a couple of years compliments to the USAF. We had 186 inches of snow our first winter. We enjoyed living in and touring the New England area when we lived up there.

What luck! lol

did you ever get down to the cape?

On the Valor they had Casual Portraits every night :confused: They useto just do it on Formal nights, I guess the found a where the moneys at.

Yeah...same on the Inspiration. I didn't mind that as much because you could just walk right past. It was the ones that would walk around with a prop like a life ring, give it to and take your picture that were annoying.

What luck! lol

did you ever get down to the cape?

It's funny...I have been living in Massachusetts most of my life (12 year break in NC)....and I think I have only gone to the Cape once...and it was for a funeral. You take the state you live in for granted. :o

Archived