Internet package

mad4cruising

Can anyone tell me how much the internet package is when using your own lap top? Are there hot spots around the ship, or can the internet only be used in your cabin. Also, would you know how fast or slow the internet is? Is it worth taking a lap top?

All of the answers to your questions depend on the ship. Some of the newer ones have hot spots, but not all of them.. I'd recommend you look up the details regaridng your specific ship on the cruise lines web site. They usually have all of the information you want there, as well as an email address to contact them with unanswered questions.

Joe

From the FAQ on the Oceania web site:

Internet Access

Email and internet services are available 24 hours a day in Oceania@Sea, our fully staffed onboard computer center. Each Guest will be issued a unique email address for their use while onboard. This email address will be included in the final cruise documents sent approximately 21 days prior to departure. A complete fee schedule for internet services is available onboard and charges will be billed to the Guest’s account.

Internet Pricing

0.95 per minute with no package

Dial in from cabin available for a one time $25 set up fee

Inbound message up to 200K $2 per message

Package Pricing:

100 minutes for $80

200 minutes for $140

500 minutes for $300

* Note: Rates are subject to change without notice

Wireless Internet Services - WiFi is available in many locations throughout the ship. Please contact an Oceania@Sea representative for more information.

We just got of the Regatta. The Internet seemed slower than on the Insignia a year ago. They did give me a credit for a particularly bad session.

Bottom line, I think the comment that the service varies by ship is probably accurate. I would have thought Oceania would have wanted to provide a consistent service level across their ships but as it is subcontracted this may be difficult.

We just returned from the Nautica and the service was as slow as on the other two ships. We had trouble finding internet cafes in Asia, so we were forced to use the ship's service. We signed up for the 100 minutes for $80.00 and when we went over that amount, it was .80 each additional minute. When we were on the Insignia it automatically went back to .95. The Nautica staff put up a sign in the library above the two computers stating that service was not steady, so to log off after several minutes if you couldn't get a connection.

My friends had their laptop and were able to use it wireless in their cabin and in the library. They still had to pay the same fees as us without a laptop. We all wrote on our critique sheet re getting another company to handle the internet access.

Sheila

I sailed Insignia in January and just got off the Nautica. My laptop worked fine in the library (deck 10), computer lab and game room (deck 9). Speed was faster than dial-up but not great. The rate of 95 cents/minute - probably the highest of any cruise line - adds up rather quickly.

Mike

Archived