I Don't Want To See David in Florence, I Want to Eat and Shop!

San Lorenzo Street Market and Ponte Vecchio Bridge for shopping--depending what kinds of shopping you want to do. Lots of traffic congestion in Florence, but it's a pretty easy walking city.

I did not note restaurant names, but had outstanding risotto near San Lorenzo--lots of informal places around there.

At the top of anyone's list for "best" in Florence should be Enoteca Pinchiorri. They serve lunch on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Incredible restaurant with prices in the upper stratosphere.

A bit more down to earth, and right at the top of via Tornabuoni (where it intersects with via Rondinelli) is the Cantinetta Antinori: here you are in the middle of Florence's primo shopping. The Cantinetta is truly my favorite lunch spot in Florence - very lovely and stylish, but warm and simple at the same time.

A couple of shops to check out in this area:

BELTRAMI (for me, the best leather store in Florence)

DESMO (more leather)

UGOLINI (still more leather)

PRINCIPE (clothing)

BOJOLA (accessories)

GINORI (porcelain)

BUCCELLATI (jewelry)

FERRAGAMO, CASADEI, CRISCI (shoes)

MINETTA (hosiery)

I remember being in the Gucci store (also on via Tornabuoni) in the summer of 1975. There was a very understated sign placed on a table of sweaters that stated, "Quality will be remembered long after price is forgotten." How true, and certainly a good thing to remember when shopping (or eating) in Florence!

Personal recommendations are great--you got some excellent ones! Thanks for asking, I'm filing them away for the next visit.

For more resources to supplement, I love http://www.slowtrav.com where Italy is one of the most-discussed destinations and http://www.viamichelin.com where you can make customized city maps with icons marking the places you want to visit, plus you can take a look at their Michelin restaurant reviews.

Have a wonderful day shopping and eating in Florence!

These recommendations are terrific, and I also printed them out for our trip to Italy in early May (we have previously been to Florence 4 times). But, I will thrown a little water on the fire and tell the bad news. The dollar is down (40% from a few years ago), Italy has a steep VAT tax, etc etc. It is very common to now find good European products in the USA for lower prices than in their home country. In fact, many Europeans now come to the USA on shopping trips (times have really changed). My advice is to price-out desired items before you leave home (the internet often has great prices) and than have fun...but with full awareness that you might be paying a premium for the fun of buying stuff in Europe.

Hank

Thank you for the excellent responses. Darn! I will be there on Wednesday, the one day that Enoteca Pinchiorri is not open, and I was curious about this restaurant. Perhaps I will try Cantinetta.

As for shopping, I will mostly be browsing, as we have all the brands in SF, and I just want to be in the "atmosphere". Who knows, maybe I will get jewelry for mom for mother's day.

Phew! I was afraid everyone was going to yell at me for not wanting to go to the more important sites in Florence. :)

Phew! I was afraid everyone was going to yell at me for

not wanting to go to the more important sites in Florence. :)

Just be glad you didn't ask on Fodors. I asked the same type of thing about the Alhambra in Spain & took a real beating! :p

Or at least my wife did when we were in Florence last September. We started with a quick run-through of Mercato Centrale (checking out the merchandise) on our way to the Accademia for our reserved tickets to see David (and other statuary). The Accademia took no more than 30 minutes if all you want to see is David although you can obviously spend more time. We ate lunch at Trattoria ZaZa in Mercato Centrale - an alfresco dining experience not to be missed - wonderful antipasti, steak Florentine, and wine. Then we did the Uffizi (mostly Renaissance painting), but if you want to skip that you can go directly to shopping - Ponte Vecchio if fine for gold and silver (and pretty high prices but beautiful pieces) and there are lots of leather and clothing stores everywhere. DW bought two purses at Beltrami's.

Have fun!

KS

You will enjoy Florence by simply walking the steets and soaking up the wonderful atmosphere.Go by Piazza Signoria and see the next best "David" in Florence.

I too,enjoyed the San Lorenzo market.....it's quite large and fun to explore.Your Mom may like a pashmina from there.....I bought 3 of them....absolutely gorgeous.

Enjoy...

Sharon:)

Hi sfvoyager,

I will be in Florence for shopping too. But, not until June. I'm glad you asked this question because I plan to be shopping at this stop. I just copied everyones information. When you get back, can you post any great finds and the areas to shop that you liked the best?

BTW, I'm in Cali too. Just 3 hours north.

Get the book "Born to Shop Italy''

Totally agree with the above poster on cantoneti Antorini and Enoteca Pinchiorri...

Other shops I love include...

Passamina Valmar 'via Porto Rossa 53...the most incredible tassels trims and pillows

The Official Perfuma de Santa Maria Novella...Via Della Scala 12...an lovely store in a centuries old building

Florence is a centuries old shopping city...really wonderful shopping. Don't eat until the shops close for lunch break..1 or 1:30

Thank you all! I love the suggestions, and my mom will be absolutely delighted.

Dorothy, I will be happy to post my experiences shopping and otherwise when I return.

I too am copying and pasting these wonderful suggestions. By the way, I appreciate the scheduling suggestion of waiting till 1:30 PM to eat lunch. Looks like we will need excellent pastries and coffee before dining. :)

Add to the San Lorenzo market finds...lovely silk scarves...3 for 12 E...from an Asian man,right where the 2 "roads" of the market intersect to form a "T "...the scarves are pale and blend to a dark colour and many colours to choose from !!

Sharon:)

Archived