PROGRESSO

Need ideas on what to do there? Anyone have any good ideas or suggestions? Would like to here what others have done while there. Thanks

This is a rather boring port. The most interesting thing there is the 7 mile long manmade pier where the ship docks. Progesso is not a bad looking town. Just like any other Mexican port. The beach there is not exactly the kind I like to hang out, but it isn't too bad. It is not a port I'd choose again.

Progreso is so much better than ports with 6 to 8 other ships in town that are so Americanized to mask there even being forign. There are many ruins in the area but it does take alot of your port time to visit them. The beach is very nice but not good for snorkling. Food is great in restaurants accross the Malecon from the beach. The Spanish colonial city of Merida

(pop 900,000) which is a 30 min bus ride away is a beautiful, safe and clean city, very worth your time to explore. It's not totally dependent on tourists for it's economy. After two port calls in Progreso I decided I want to return to explore. Eight days was great but still not enough. Probably going back in Jan or Feb. Merida is the state capitol and home to 4 universities. People living in the state of Yucatan are very proud and appreciative of their history and culture. If you would like to visit a forign city and know you're experiencing a different culture then Merida is a good choice. Mexico at it's finest. It is in no way similar to Cancun or Cozumel. If you want more information, email me at

hdawson228@aol.com

I agree with hdawson. Progresso is a great stop and you can find good bars on the walk along the beach. It can be one of the most relaxing days of your trip. It is COzumel 15 years ago. I truly hope that the Americanization does not happen here.

Next: #23 Dawn Princess 10/04

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman

http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman1

http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman2

Last Few: Coral Princess 6/04 (AK-South), Coral Princess 4/04, (Canal-FLL-VAN), Conquest 12/03 -New Years, Norwegian Sky b2b 12/03

Once again hdawson is dead on.

Finally, a true Mexican city that can be reached with a cruise ship.

Unfortunately, many of the impressions American (and Canadians) get of Mexico are the touristy port cities like Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Lucas. Or the border cities of Tijuana or El Paso.

Here is an opportunity to visit a true Mexican City without all the "frito bandito" jokes. icon_biggrin.gif

And be able to do all this from a cruise ship! icon_wink.gif

Fantastico ! ! icon_smile.gif

Live well, love much, laugh often.

Gary icon_cool.gif

Dolphins.gif

We will be in Progeso on July 20th and look forward to lounging on the beach, eating, and drinking...we plan to take the 20 minute tour bus and then just hang on the beach, eat some great Mexican food, and drink some cold beer...then check out the local bars and restaurants...no Merida this time...

We were in Progresso 2 years ago on our Pride cruise, my wife and I went on the Chichen Itza tour. It was great, that Mayan site is larger than the one that I saw outside of Mexico City 15 years ago. Our two tour guides, both Mayans were very informative. I wish we had more time to totally see the whole site and take in everything at a slower pace. The other three couples went on the jeep tour, which they also loved.

Carnival Pride 8/17/02 (Western Caribbean)

Carnival Glory 8/21/2004 (Eastern Caribbean) 30th Anniversary Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500CQclass.gif

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

In Progreso, we took the Merida Sightseeing and Shopping Tour on the ship and it was one of the most interesting tours we have been on. However, you have to like seeing old, historic sites to truly appreciate it. We were fascinated with the Cathedral in Merida - the oldest cathedral on the North American continent, being built in the mid-1500's. It reminded me of the old cathedrals in Italy. We also saw several other sites in Merida and had time to do a little shopping. On the way to Merida we got a nice bus tour of Progreso. We were back on the ship about 2:30 (just in time to grab a piece of pizza.

Celebration - 9/99

Inspiration - 12/00

Jubilee - 10/02

Elation - 11/03

Elation again - 12/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;12;12;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600  until the Elation

I just returned from Progresso a few weeks a go and it was my 3rd time....I basically just go to the beach and each time it has been better....I excused it the first time a few years ago but it was ok.......and each year they have improved everything....I made a statement in my recent review that Progresso has a handle on how to keep ships coming there.

CLICK HERE for "Valor Vampires" Cruise Info on Valor 10/30/05

CLICK HERE for "Partae Pirates" Cruise Info on Miracle 2/13/05

Randy ~ Build17@aol.com

Dallas, TX

Destiny-5/00, Victory-3/01, Pride-6/02,Celebration-11/02,

Conquest-3/03,Glory-9/03,

RCI Mariner-1/04,Triumph -3/04,Elation-5/04,Sensation -10/04, Miracle - 2/05, Valor - 10/05

Days til Sensation Cruise from the Bayou

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FF0000&cdt=2004;10;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

saintsinners.gif

Days til Miracle Partae Pirates Cruise from Tampa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;02;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

partaepiratessmallsmall.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

Days til Valor Vampires Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;10;30;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

valorvampires.gif

I too have loved Progresso. It is the way Cozumel was years ago. If you are looking for a million shops, very Americanized, then Progresso is not the port for you. If you are looking for a peek of how Cozumel was before it was developed, then you will love Progresso.

Progreso was our last port stop on the Glory last month, and we were still tired (and one was still hung over) from our day in Cozumel. We just decided to take a look around and did the $2 tour around town. All the people we encountered were great -- very friendly and easy going. We enjoyed our day there, and next time I'd love to visit Merida. We did some shopping right at the port (t-shirts, tequila, etc.), and prices were very good. Definitely cheaper than Cozumel.

Archived