Aurora sails through dangerous waters

greykangaroo

During it's successful journey across the world to arrive home in Southampton three days ago, Aurora has sailed through many dangerous waters.

Throughout places like the Malacca Straights, Sri Lanka, most of South East Asia, the coast of Somalia and Yemen, the Red Sea and Egyptian waters, operators manned two ERAD sound cannons, one each side of the 13th Deck.

An operator told me that these have a range of 75 metres and to be blasted by one isn't advisable. One can receive permanent and serious injuries

Further a permanent deck watch of four officers was mounted and fire hoses were coiled ready to use.

We never saw the firearms, but we were told that the ship is well armed.

The ship steamed all night and every night at a staggering 24 knots. One has to see this to understand how fast this is for an 80000 ton ship.

It was all very interesting to witness.

113662388_LRADandoperator2.jpg.736916d8011a7165f4bedcd2a6545696.jpg

My parents were on this trip. I wasn't aware they were going to take a trip through this part of the world. When my mom sent me an email letting me know where they were sailing, I worried and worried and worried. Just a day after, is when the incident happened with the US warships in that exact same area. :eek: Scarey waters!

We sat our table with a couple from California. Dale and Marni. Not them is it?

Yes, I think it is only a matter of time before there is a serious incident with one of these cruise liners.

I watched on several nights when suspicious craft came near us.

The ship steamed all night and every night at a staggering 24 knots. One has to see this to understand how fast this is for an 80000 ton ship.

Fast?

Sounds like a gentle stroll to me. When we were on QE2 from (I think) from Halifax to Boston, we were doing at least 29 knots - which left us 3 knots in reserve!

We sat our table with a couple from California. Dale and Marni. Not them is it?

Yes, I think it is only a matter of time before there is a serious incident with one of these cruise liners.

I watched on several nights when suspicious craft came near us.

Yes, that would be them! :D Small world. I am actually headed off to San Francisco Airport here in about an hour to pick them up!

Well they are home safely. My mom didn't want to leave England. She loved it there.

I've heard some of the stories. Like Dale being pickpocketed in Rome. Then in England they went through a tunnel and a car coming from the opposite direction got too close and knocked the side mirror off the rental car.

I'm suppose to meet them for dinner tomorrow night, so I should hear more stories then.

Are you Grant? I mentioned that I saw this thread and you sat at the table with them. They said, "oh that must be Grant".

I'll show this thread to them when I see them next.

Archived