smaller cruise lines to alaska

tress1018

has anyone ever been on the smaller cruise lines instead of the big ocean liners to alaska. we were thinking of doing our own thing in alaska (tours and sightseeing) and taking the smaller lines around the passage. i read where they are better for getting up close as opposed to the real big liners.. i am not so sure we want the big and formal thing.. maybe a litttle more casual, but better views... any takes on this??? and i will need some sources...don't know where to start looking... thanks a bunch....

I have never travelled with them, but my mother did several Alaska(and others) cruises/trips with the Lindblad Expeditions ~ used to be called Special Expeditions. She loved the smaller ships (less than 200 as I recall) and the excellent information provided about the area. Also had some mild to moderate adventure type stuff to do, trips in zodiacs, hikes, etc. Web site is www.expeditions.com.

Archived