Jackets and Shoes for Alaska

mj5739

Oh I'd like to feel 70 now. It's at least 85 and humid here today!!! Getting in and out of the car, from work, home, pick up the kids from school, drop daughter off in ballet. I was really sweating. Have the air conditioner on now, I'm sure it will be staying from now until September:eek: . (I will turn it off for my trip, which is two months and four days away).

Guess I'm adding mukluks to the packing list. Not for formal night of course, I'll wear them on the glacier:p

I think the Jack Daniels poncho makes a much better fashion statement than the Mickey one. At least it says "I've reached adulthood". We'll come to think of it that may not be the case, especially if I think of some of the people I know who drink Jack:eek: . Mickey may definitely be staying at home:( , he doesn't seem very popular around here.

Mickey is going with us, because we refuse to grow up! :) Plus, that is all my daughters have for rain wear and I don't want to buy anything else. My husband said I have to quit spending for this trip or we won't have anything to spend when we get there. :rolleyes:

Hopela, I am completely overwhelmed at the thought of packing for this trip. When is your trip? If you end up wearing Mickey due to rain, please be sure to post as to the responses of others:p . Then I can be a definitive decision on Mickey based on your experience. Ha Ha.

At least you are closer than I am. I have to rush April and May by!!

We board the Sun on the 27th of May................

I am trying to figure out how I can take only one pair of dress shoes and get by. I really don't want to over pack. Actually my husband doesn't want me to overpack :)

I am going to set a suitcase out this weekend and see if I need a bigger one :eek: .

Sounds like I'm going to be in Disneyland and not leaving home...lol

The Jack Daniels poncho could bring some good $$$ if you auctioned it on your cruise ...heehee

Nordstrom, LLBean...all these fancy places for big buck items. I do all my shopping at Walmart in Anch. Now you know why you stick out...lmao ;)

Tennis shoes and tall rubber boots called Extra Toughs are the norm for footwear. Mukluks are not good for wet climates and rarely are they worn here as we get too much rain year around, they are good for cold only. Some excursions will provide some weather gear. I would ask before packing something you might not need. You do need comfortable shoes that you can walk in all day.

Four! I can't possible go w/o four pairs of shoes.

If need be, we will just charter a private jet.

But it takes four pairs of shoes.

*Rolls eyes at the snobby bunny* :) Watch out for eagles with the mouse ears....haahaa and I think bears like mice too...heehee Who knows how to make other icons symbols like the green toothy one ??

enour pairs of shoes:eek: . On my last cruise I took 9!! Yes, you did read that

right. I think I took 7 or 8 for my daughter and she was only six!! Now you can really see my dilemma about traveling cross country, with four people, and fifty pound weight limits per bag. I am really in trouble:confused: . I've been trying to come up with a plan to take five or six pairs, including the ones I wear on the plane, which will be sneakers or hiking shoes as they weigh the most.

On top of my packing issues, my kids have decided we need to smuggle our yorkie on the plane, then on the train to Vancouver, then onto the boat as they feel it is unfair to leave her for ten days.

My husband only takes two pair of shoes. He says that if he has to pack more there will be no room for his clothes.

Hey bunny, great weather today!!! My windows are still open. I had my windows open on Saturday and ran my hand across my table and it came up YELLOW......POLLEN!!!!!

This thread is just the best! Just the light-heartedness my vacation preparation needed! I'm *SO* glad I'm not the only one confused & obsessed over what to pack.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that I *will* overpack. Such is life.

But I have my Goretex jacket (Eddie Bauer) so I'm ready to go!

sayhello

GlacierLady - wow :eek: Everyone would need sun glasses if we all wore those boots!!!

Emarismom - 9 pairs - you really come prepared - When is your trip - sounds like June (same as me :D )

Set2travel - they are so cute.

Sayhello...Hello! You must be one one of the first sailing in Alaska? I still have 56 days until we leave and 59 until the cruise. We have been discussing one of my favorite items...SHOES...It is a sore subject with DH as he is the one who luggs the shoe bag around thru airports, cruise ships, and in and out of the car. He takes two pair no matter what. Now I am short and I love to wear heels...gives me a feeling of Power.heehee I know what good are they in Alaska...maybe a whole new meaning to glacier hiking! I am packking 3...1 heel...2 walking and whatever I wear on the plane. DH will be shocked!

Hopelea... we are on The Radiance June 3rd. We are supposed to leave Atlanta on the 2nd in the AM and change planes in Seattle and fly on to Anchorage. I might change that flight to Thursday instead. It sounds like a really long day! We are going up to Whistler after the cruise.

I wish we could have done a longer vacation. I would love to have explored Alaska a little more. My husband couldn't get off for that long. I am happy that we get to go. Maybe I can talk him into doing it again.

Set2travel, I'm doing a cruisetour, with the tour part first, leaving on May 23. The cruise starts May 29. Yep, pretty early, but not soon enough! :)

In regards to shoes, I'm expecting to take 4 pairs. Sneakers, trail sneakers (sort of like hiking boots, but *much* lighter), waterproof sandals, and a dress pair for dinner.

All comfy and practical. Comfort is paramount for me when I travel!

sayhello

Archived