Webster says jeans are slacks

I personally don't mind jeans in the dining room as long it's not on formal night. Some jean styles can look really classy with the right top and shoes. I'm one of the younger generation who wears more jeans than anything. I did not pack any jeans on my cruise but next time I may.

Logically unsound reasoning. The fact that jeans are trousers and slacks are trousers does not mean that jeans are slacks - if it did it would mean that since my wife is a woman and Angelina Jolie is a woman that my wife is Angelina Jolie. Alas, not the case.:)

I posted this sometime back:

slacks:

Entry Word: slack

Function: noun

Text: 1 the extent to which something hangs or dips below a straight line <take up the slack of a rope> -- see SAG

2 slacks plural

an outer garment covering each leg separately from waist to ankle <she prefers wearing slacks instead of a dress> -- see PANTS

pants:

Main Entry: 3pant

Etymology: short for pantaloons

1 : an outer garment covering each leg separately and usually extending from the waist to the ankle -- usually used in plural

jeans:

3 entries found for jean.

To select an entry, click on it.

jeanJeansblue jeans

Main Entry: jean

Pronunciation: 'jEn

Etymology: short for jean fustian, from Middle English Gene Genoa, Italy + fustian

1 : a durable twilled cotton cloth used especially for sportswear and work clothes

2 : pants that are usually close-fitting and made especially of jean or denim -- usually used in plural

Is this fun or what! :D

....Personally I wish they enforced the dress code again. Stop all the debate over this issue, because really is it that big of a deal if folks dont want to dress up a bit and look their best?

So you paid to attend a formal dinner but you're ok with whomever wants to show up in their grungy stuff or whatever because of some need they have to express their personal style or lack there of? Formal Dining expectations mean I can either dress as expected or I can call room service - I have no right to show up looking like a bum. Who makes the rules here? Don't we pay RCI to do that? Couldn't you have just gone to McDonald's for casual wear? Aren't there other venues for people to dress however they want? Don't you have the right to expect RCI to enforce expectations and isn't that where the problem lies?

Once again we have a thread where the lack of enforcement on the part of RCI's staff is squarely deep down at the base of the problem. We should collectively expect more out of RCI because we can increasingly count on our fellow passengers to not automatically be able to follow expectations on their own.

Once again we have a thread where the lack of enforcement on the part of RCI's staff is squarely deep down at the base of the problem. We should collectively expect more out of RCI because we can increasingly count on our fellow passengers to not automatically be able to follow expectations on their own.

Makes you wonder why you even go a cruiseline that does this.......doesn't it??? For the life of me, if I was unhappy about the way a business was run I wouldn't be giving them my hard earned dollars. There are other choices.

So you paid to attend a formal dinner but you're ok with whomever wants to show up in their grungy stuff or whatever because of some need they have to express their personal style or lack there of? Formal Dining expectations mean I can either dress as expected or I can call room service - I have no right to show up looking like a bum. Who makes the rules here? Don't we pay RCI to do that? Couldn't you have just gone to McDonald's for casual wear? Aren't there other venues for people to dress however they want? Don't you have the right to expect RCI to enforce expectations and isn't that where the problem lies?

At the end of every cruise, RCI asks us to fill out a "Comments Card". I always urge them to enforce the dress code. I also let them know how "Grungy" some people show up in the main dining room.

Most people (including me) agree that jeans are not appropriate dress for dinner on a cruise (or anywhere else for that matter). I will go one further and probably get flamed. Most of the so-called casual dress that I see in the dining room on most cruises would be more appropriate for mowing the lawn or working around the house. First of all, most of the slacks (khakis) made by Dockers and other such brands are barely one step above jeans, particulary when they look like they have been slept in. And where did those men get the shirts they are wearing. Ban lon and wild plaid shirts went out with Nehru jackets. Truth told, I would rather see someone in a nice pair of jeans and sport shirt (preferably something purchased in the last ten years).

For the record, I never wear jeans or khakis on a cruise.

I'm ready!

Makes you wonder why you even go a cruiseline that does this.......doesn't it??? For the life of me, if I was unhappy about the way a business was run I wouldn't be giving them my hard earned dollars. There are other choices.

I "vote with my dollars" too cruisnMike, but we do have a collective voice and this is probably the appropriate forum for such declarations isn't it? Maybe you're the type of guy who isn't annoyed by obnoxious partiers at 3 am, kids in diapers in the adult pool, and the rest of the collective list brought forth in the entire CruiseCritic message board. So the question for you might more precisely then be:

Is there a different cruise line which works harder at protecting passengers from repeated onslaughts of ill behaved and inconsiderate passengers than RCI?

Thanks!!!

I "vote with my dollars" too cruisnMike, but we do have a collective voice and this is probably the appropriate forum for such declarations isn't it? Maybe you're the type of guy who isn't annoyed by obnoxious partiers at 3 am, kids in diapers in the adult pool, and the rest of the collective list brought forth in the entire CruiseCritic message board. So the question for you might more precisely then be:

Is there a different cruise line which works harder at protecting passengers from repeated onslaughts of ill behaved and inconsiderate passengers than RCI?

Thanks!!!

Don't know the answer to that question but I've heard there are "upscale" cruiselines that are better at dress codes then RCI. As far as collective voice, I think you have seen the voice isn't near as collective as one might think if you have followed any of the threads. As far as partiers and diapers in pools, you must have missed those threads. Quite frankly I still don't understand folks who don't pursue other avenues to spend their hard earned dollars if they are so uphappy about certain aspects of their current situation.

At the end of every cruise, RCI asks us to fill out a "Comments Card". I always urge them to enforce the dress code. I also let them know how "Grungy" some people show up in the main dining room.

Very good point... the comment card is one voice we all do have with RCI. Excellent. On the other hand, if most people were to say on those "Forget formal dinning and lets just call it a banquet room and all dress however we see fit." then is that what RCI should or would do? Mob consensus versus leadership? And, my guess is we are already collectively saying things like "Please keep the kids out of the adult pool!" but has that caused RCI to epect attendents to identify and eject such offendors?

Thanks!

So you paid to attend a formal dinner but you're ok with whomever wants to show up in their grungy stuff or whatever because of some need they have to express their personal style or lack there of? Formal Dining expectations mean I can either dress as expected or I can call room service - I have no right to show up looking like a bum. Who makes the rules here? Don't we pay RCI to do that?

No one is talking about FORMAL NIGHT - #1

NO ONE is talking about grungy stuff...the jeans most people would wear are upwards of $150.00 - some embellished with rhinestones or beads. Most costing about $200 - tailored to fit and paired with dressy blouse or jacket. Without even seeing your outfit....I can guarantee this person would look better than you. How do I know --- I just do.

Certainly a step up from the out of style junk people pull out of their closets every year to fill up their 7-12 nights.

I've seen cheap sun dresses, outdated pantsuits and clothes that use to fit a whole lot better years ago.

i quote zz top: every woman likes a sharp dressed man lol:))) i dont really like to dress up ,but i know it makes my wife happy,so i do it for her basically,and yes for the rules or requested attire,she doesent make me do it every night of the cruise so its a trade off,its not that big of a deal to dress nice for a few hours,you were what you want during the day when your playing right?,anyway just my opinion,hope you all have a great time on your next cruise,cause im leaving saturday on the golden yeaaaaahhhh:rolleyes: :p

I totally agree that Jeans should not be worn in the dining room, as far i know, no one has ever died because they had to put a pair of slacks on for 1 hour during a meal.

this all comes down to family values or the lack of.

I chose to teach my children when it is appropriate to look nice.

I say thankyou to the people that respect the dress code.

I totally agree that Jeans should not be worn in the dining room, as far i know, no one has ever died because they had to put a pair of slacks on for 1 hour during a meal.

this all comes down to family values or the lack of.

I chose to teach my children when it is appropriate to look nice.

I say thankyou to the people that respect the dress code.

It has nothing to do with family values. The dress code says that Jeans are ok...no one needs your permission. You have a very inflated sense of yourself.

My family values are just fine thank you.

As far as looking nice....trust me...I don't look nice...I look GREAT in my $220.00 designer jeans. When people turn their head as I walk by it won't be because they disapprove it will be because I have a great looking butt.

Bon Voyage

Guest cvbart
I hope Webster is not at my table. I don't even wear "clothing"...

I wear apparel (expertly tailored at my local haberdashery)

Thank you for your support.

Wow, I can only afford clothing.

Webster

Coming to a table near you.

Guest cvbart
Yes, this known as a syllogism.......and an invalid one, at that.

Anyway, since I love a dead horse as much as the next guy..........or Alexis............or Patrick............. here's my response to the OP:

Webster is dead, and so is many people's sense of decorum, alas.

The little guy in the 70s sitcom?

Sorry to hear it.

It has nothing to do with family values. The dress code says that Jeans are ok...no one needs your permission. You have a very inflated sense of yourself.

My family values are just fine thank you.

As far as looking nice....trust me...I don't look nice...I look GREAT in my $220.00 designer jeans. When people turn their head as I walk by it won't be because they disapprove it will be because I have a great looking butt.

Bon Voyage

Hmmmmmm....kinda brings that Bob Seger song,"Love To Watch Her Strut" to mind. However I think the proof is in a picture. :D

Archived