Food in Alaska ports

sk84fungirl

OK, while everyone is asking about shore excursions, I thought I would ask about restaurants. I know, I know...there is plenty of food on the cruise ship. But I want to know where previous cruisers and residents enjoy eating near the port. It doesn't matter the fare, we will try MOST things. Not big on sushi...;)

Thought this would be an interesting thread for all the travelers visiting the same ports as myself. They are as follows:

-Ketchikan

-Juneau

-Skagway

-Prince Rupert

I've made note of some recommendations from previous threads for some locations, but not all. So tell us, what do YOU recommend?

For downtown (no hired transport to get away from downtown) dining, most locals would probably recommend:

- The Hangar - Surf & Turf, Burgers & Beer. Good consistent food, but the restaurant can be quite busy during peak hours. Lunch and Dinner only.

- The Twisted Fish - Same staff and menu variations as the Hangar. I think of it as the Hangar plus one star. Dining room can be very noisy if they're busy, but the service and food is usually great. (Good wine list too.)

- Wild Spice - Folks either love it or hate it. It's a self-service raw ingredient mongolian grill type of place. Put all your stuff in a bowl and bring it to the grill to pay at watch it cook. I didn't care for it, but others really enjoy the place.

- El Sombrero, Fernandos, Olivias - 3 _DIFFERENT_ downtown Mexican Restaurants. All have good food. All have had the same cooks at one time or another, so I honestly have trouble telling the difference, even though it's always good.

- The Red Dog Saloon - isn't really a restaurant. Alaska's oldest and most historic man-made tourist attraction (as designated by the State Legislature) is a gold-rush-era Saloon. Expect limited choices (one step up from "whiskey or beer only") and usually large crowds. This is one of the "must see" places for Juneau, and the sandwiches aren't bad for a quick lunch and a "rollicking" good time. If you get "insulted" by the piano player at the door, you could try telling him you know Case...

- Baranof Gold Room - This is Juneau's version of fine dining. Think 4-star gourmet, but you'll be comfortable wearing a sweatshirt and Xtra Tuffs too!

Those are the "biggies" downtown. There's also a McDonald's and Subway for fast food, and a variety of street vendor carts selling everything from coconut juice to BBQ Teriyaki to Taco Salads and Hot Dogs.

If you're taking an excursion to fish or whale watch out of Auke Bay, I'd recommend a burger or fish & chips at The Hot Bite. Only problem is they're usually VERY busy, and can take 30-40 minutes or more to get your food ready. The charter captain can (sometimes) call your order in ahead of time so it's ready for you to pick-up when you return to the dock... never hurts to ask the captain!

I'd really be curious to know what Capt. Larry, Capt. Lewis, Harv & Marv or Ceco would recommend... anyone?

EDIT: I forgot to mention... all things sold in SE Alaska are subject to some crazy freight and shipping charges. Juneau freight (including food) is either flown in or sits on a barge for 5 days out of Seattle. This usually translates into higher prices. I've never felt meal prices were too atrocious here, but you won't find any $3 breakfasts or $5 burgers... Be ready for $15 - $20 for a burger and beer lunch (or $4 - $6 for just the beer) and at least $20 - $25 for a memorable dinner. I'd say it's comparable to other "destination" towns or major airports with bars and restaurants.

-Case

This isn't exactly a restaurant, but I highly recommend going to the Alaska Fudge Co. in Juneau. I believe the name of the street is Franklin St.; it is the main street you walk up and down while shopping near the ships.

I love peanut butter fudge, but ALL of their flavors are very good! And not terribly expensive. In line with any other fudge shops.

Enjoy!

Hikini:D

• 3 weeks later...

In Ketchikan try Steamers, Annabelles and Ocean View if you don't mind the walk or a short taxi ride. Also, the Fish and Chip guy on the dock has some good eats. Subway is right in the middle of downtown.

So you listed Skagway, and I can tell you that we have only two restaurants open right at the moment: Those are the Sweet Tooth on Broadway and The Corner Cafe on Fourth. These are both within a ten minute walk of the any ship if you want local fare. As of about May oneth there will be about thirty joints open where you can dine from "with a view" all the way down to a hot dog with mustard and chips at The historic Mos' Bar if it is not to rowdy for you sensibilities.

The Fish Company is the one with the view, out on the rairoad dock where the Princess Ships tie up. Also, you can find The Stowaway next door to that one in probabaly the most un stowed away location in this here town: go figure, names can be misleading but they all have good food with the memorable prices mentioned in the previous post!?!

Finally, some of my clients press me to define the difference between the Corner & The Tooth, as they are locally known.

Well the men go to rationalize the weather at the Corner Cafe, while down at the Sweet Tooth, if you have a good ear, you can set back near the back table on any morning, but especially on weekends, and if you are there around six in the aye-hem the ladies who frequent that table will be more than happy to bring you up to the moment on what I did the night before!?! Sometimes I go there just to see if I forgot something already. They never do!?! Heres to tiny towns!?! :rolleyes: DD

Archived