Life Jackets for Kids

crangirl

:rolleyes: We are cruising next weekend on the Navigator and taking our 4 boys

ages 3,5,7 and 9. My younger boys are use to using life jackets to go swimming do you think it is nessessary to take life jackets with us for the beaches and pools or not? We are going to Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Marteen and San Juan. Do you know if there are beaches that are pretty shallow and kid friendly? I don't want to pack the life jackets if not nessessary- thanks janeen

Maybe try "water wings" enstead?? They would take up ALOT less room. Most ships have "kiddy" pools also that would not require any sort of life jackets. Also on those ports do you know which beaches you plan on going to?

Also prepare them ahead of time of the salt water pools!!

Have a great time!:)

Thanks. I never thought of the water wings great idea. I am not sure what beaches. My husband and I have been to Magen's Bay, which I thought would be good for the kids. The other islands I am not sure what

would be good. In St. Maarten is Maho Bay Beach a good one for kids? My kids would get a kick out of the airplanes going overhead but is it too loud? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks-janeen

Have you seen the swimsuits with the floaties sewn inside? They work really well, my two youngest used them when they were smaller. They are less conspicuous than life jackets and also less bulky so you should be able to pack them nicely in a suitcase. They sell them at Target and Wal-Mart. I'm sure they sell them at other stores as well.

If you are just going to calm beaches, I agree with the water wings idea. However, when we were there, Orient Beach in St. Martin had pretty serious surf which knocked my kids off their feet (2 and 6).

There is a recent thread here discussing the best beaches for kids in St. Thomas and St. Martin.

Slightly off-topic, but we took a collapsible, foldable kite with us for the fort in San Juan. The kids had a blast!

Have a great time!

Archived