Jewel Freestyle Dining Question

gamer99

Can someone elaborate on how the specialty restaurants work? I understand that there is a cover charge for the restaurant and that reservations should be made in advance. Once there, are you then charged for your meal inside the restaurant? Deciding on whether to try freestyle cruising or not.

Freestyle cruising is great, you can eat when and where you want.

For the speciality restaruants, such as Cagney's, Le Bistro & Chin Chin you should make your reservations early either by telephone or on Deck 7. While we were on the Jewel, all speciality restaurants were 50% off from 5:30pm - 6:30pm, all food cover charges excluding 'a la carte' priced items and Teppanyaki. At the end of your meal, they will ask you for you ship card and charge the meal to your account.

If you make a reservation in a speciality restaurant and you decide not to go, you must cancel - I think by 5PM - or you will be charged the cover charge.

I'm not certain of the time, maybe someone else here can confirm that:)

Freestyle is wonderful.

If you make a reservation in a speciality restaurant and you decide not to go, you must cancel - I think by 5PM - or you will be charged the cover charge.

I'm not certain of the time, maybe someone else here can confirm that:)

Freestyle is wonderful.

For specialty restaruants, you must cancel your reservations 24 hours prior to your designated time, otherwise you will be charged a penalty fee of $5.00 per person.

I was on the Star and wrote a long review, which goes into great detail regarding Freestyle dining. It comes early in the review, so you don't have to read the entire review. Here is a link to the review ...

http://www.cruise-critic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=13327

This is from my review ...

What sets Norwegian apart from everyone else is the Freestyle dining. As I mentioned, there are ten dining areas. Six are free, four cost extra, and only three do not require reservations (Aqua, Versailles and the Blue Lagoon). It is noted that Norwegian does not allow blue jeans, tank tops, shorts, T-shirts or beachwear in any of the restaurants after 5:00pm. It is also noted that Aqua and Versailles (the two main restaurants) get very busy between 7pm and 8pm.

The advantage of Freestyle dining is you can eat when you want. However, that is only true in three of the ten restaurants. All the other restaurants require reservations. What is the difference between making a reservation and having a set dining time? Also, for groups this can be a problem. In traditional dining you show up at your table at the assigned time. You know the rest of your group will either already be there, or will arrive soon. With Freestyle dinning, your group has to decide where it wants to eat and when. If you have ever tried to get a group to agree on anything, you know what a chore this can be. Also, if your group is large enough, you can guarantee that someone will show up at the wrong restaurant at the right time, or show up at the right restaurant at the wrong time. For me, I dont like having to take time out of my day to make a reservation. The whole idea of cruising is to have a carefree vacation. I believe that having to make reservations takes away from that experience.

The ten restaurants are:

Cagneys - Steak House - $20 extra The Soho - Pacific Rim - $15 extra Le Bistro - French Cuisine - $15 extra Ginza - Asian Fusion Cuisine - $12.50 extra Teppanyaki - Cooking just for you - A la carte pricing Sushi Bar - Japanese Specialty - A la carte pricing Endless Summer - Tex-Mex cuisine - reservations required La Trattoria - Italian Cuisine - reservations required Aqua - contemporary cuisine Versailles - traditional cuisine Market Café - buffet Blue Lagoon - 24 hour sit down fast food

Archived