Seattle or Vancouver?

pcbeck

My wife and I are looking to go to Alaska for the first time. HAL gives options for both cities and we have never been to either. Given a two day pre-cruise option, which city would you choose and why? We will use American Airline frequent flyer miles so cost isn't a factor for airfare and we both have passports already.

I am, admittedly, kind of biased because I live in Vancouver, but I would pick Vancouver :) Seattle is a beautiful city, but there is something special about sailing out of Vancouver from Canada Place, and passing under the Lions Gate Bridge at the start of your trip to Alaska.

Another reason for cruising from Vancouver is the scenery from the Inside Passage.

When you depart from Seattle, there is a lot of open ocean cruising around Vancouver Island, while from Vancouver, you are cruising the Johnstone and Queen Charlotte Straits and have many great viewing opportunities.

Also, open ocean cruising can have considerably more "ocean motion" than ISP cruising.

Have a great cruise.

Sam

i echo the above posters ---vancouver--------------on our alaska trip i had the same decision to make --i could drive to seattle and park the car or fly to vanc---------------i chose vanc mostly because i decided that glacier bay was better then the hubbard glacier ---im sure there will be people who disagree with me about that one

Another reason for cruising from Vancouver is the scenery from the Inside Passage.

When you depart from Seattle, there is a lot of open ocean cruising around Vancouver Island, while from Vancouver, you are cruising the Johnstone and Queen Charlotte Straits and have many great viewing opportunities.

Also, open ocean cruising can have considerably more "ocean motion" than ISP cruising.

Have a great cruise.

Sam

Both cities have a lot to offer. You won't be disappointed whichever you pick for your pre-cruise visit.

The main reason you're there, though, is the cruise and IMO ones from Vancouver offer better scenery. We live in the Seattle area, perhaps 40 miles from the cruise dock, but we chose Vancouver precisely for the reason Sam stated. We also wanted to see Glacier Bay.

We cruised out of Seattle and truly enjoyed every minute. Having said that, next time I would choose Vancouver because Seattle departures have a stop in Victoria (Jones Act requirement). Victoria is a beautiful city, but I'd much prefer to spend as much time as possible in the Alaska ports.

My wife and I are looking to go to Alaska for the first time. HAL gives options for both cities and we have never been to either. Given a two day pre-cruise option, which city would you choose and why? We will use American Airline frequent flyer miles so cost isn't a factor for airfare and we both have passports already.

As many have said, both cities are wonderful to visit and the scenery the first and last day is more scenic. Cruises departing from both cities go to Glacier Bay but it appears that the only round-trip cruises to Hubbard Glacier (on HAL) leave from Seattle. One other difference is that the cruises from Seattle appear to spend a day in Sitka, the Vancouver cruises stop in Skagway.

The advantage Seattle has is easier access. There are stories here of it having taken over an hour to get through customs flying into Vancouver, additionally there are more flights (and better prices) available for flying into Seattle.

I would choose vancouver not only because i live here but because it's just a beautiful city, as is the port and the lions gate bridge. Also touring around before or after the cruise will be wonderful expecially stanleypark (my fav) just ask atomica!

Seattle is a wonderful place but I’d have to vote for Vancouver. Sailing out of Vancouver’s port was breathtakingly beautiful.

Vancouver is a gorgeous city full of friendly, interesting people, great food and wonderful sights. Granville Island is not to be missed. Here’s a link – maybe will help you make your decision. http://www.granvilleisland.com/en

Whichever you choose – have a wonderful cruise to Alaska. My fondest memory is of cruising through the inside passage, sitting in the hot tub with snow capped peaks on both sides of the ship. Fabulous!

We cruised out of Seattle and truly enjoyed every minute. Having said that, next time I would choose Vancouver because Seattle departures have a stop in Victoria (Jones Act requirement). Victoria is a beautiful city, but I'd much prefer to spend as much time as possible in the Alaska ports.
Victoria is a really beautiful city and definitely worth a visit. The real problem with with at stop there is that most ships stop there way too late in the day to really enjoy the city.

As nice as Seattle is as a place to visit, I'd pick an Alaska cruise that departed from Vancouver because it sails up the inside passage and usually has better port times.

You can still fly into Seattle if that is the city you want to visit, then go up to Vancouver to board your ship. The two cities aren't that far apart and the train ride is supposed to be pretty nice.

Both Seattle and Vancouver are world class cities, with lots to offer.

Personally, I think Vancouver's harbor, with Lion's Gate Bridge, etc., is much prettier, but again, both are great cities.

Why not visit both, using one as an overnight base, and sailing from the other? Get the best of both worlds that way.

Do you see a pattern here! ;) I'll also have to vote for Vancouver. All the reasons listed above. Plus, with a couple of days you can see so much more of the beautiful area. Rent a car and drive out to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. It's georgous out there. Then go just a bit farther and ride the tram up to the top of Grouse Mountain for lunch. Amazing view of Vancouver from up there (if the clouds will stay away.) Be sure to walk around and see the bears and the wood statues. Take a leisurely stroll through old Gastown, stopping to watch the steam-powered clock announce the hour. Down the street is Storyeum, a unique underground attraction that tells the story of the area in drama and song.

Then there's Granville Island, Elizabeth Park, and so on. There is truly lots to do and see in Vancouver. So it also gets my vote.

We are also contemplating an Alaska cruise and I'm pricing cruises out of Seattle vs. Vancouver : Round trip

When I look at the ports of call offered by both Seattle and Vancouver they are basically the same. They all offer Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway (some offer Sitka in lieu of Skagway).

I'm trying to rationalize paying more for the Vancouver departure, especially due to higher air fare from NYC, if the ports of call are the similar ... and even the Seattle departures offer "glacier viewing".

If you are going this summer, and if you are planning to use "plan ahead" miles and not "fly anytime" (double the miles), I think you'd better check for available seats first if you are counting on frequent flyer. One city might be available while the other might not.

If you are planning for Alaska next year, then by all means go from Vancouver and book your free air as early as possible. Anymore, there are less flights, less free seats, and more people with miles trying to get those seats.

Archived