Tipping on Dive Trips

SantaAna,CA

I'm boarding the Seabourn Legend April 9 to the Caribbean and I set up two tank dives in several ports. These were not arranged through the ship, I arranged them myself. Over and above the fees for the dive...do you tip anyone? And if so, how much? Thanks!

Jane :)

Tip your divemaster if they don't put out a tip can. They usually split it up, anyway. I tip $10-$20 per diver for a two tank trip, depending on the service.

I agree $10-$20 per diver. Depends on whether they were a full service company (helped with gear, setups, put a dive master in the water with you, etc.) or they just provided water taxi service and a 5 minute briefing.

Randall

For a warm water dive trip I generally tip $5 a tank, which would be $10 for a 2 tank morning trip. Usually the DM and the boat captain split the tip, at least I know for sure the do that in Cozumel.

For cold water dive trips, I usually tip less as the DM have much less involvement with the diving. They don't get in the water and divers always set up their own gear (and prefer it that way too). The DM generally just helps haul gear to/from the boat and helps out on deck while divers are getting in/out of the water.

I tip $5-$10 per trip (for a two tank dive) depending on service. If the DM is good and keeps us informed of sea life and other sights to see and gives a good briefing on sea and bottom conditions, I may even tip $20. I always carry my own gear aboard and set up my gear myself. Not that I don't trust anyone else to do it, ;) but I know my gear and what needs to be done.

I always give them $20 per 2-tank dive. They do so much to get us ready and show us interesting sea-life underwater. They also set up your gear for you (if you wish) and generally they deserve what they get. It is divided up among the crew, so $20 does not go very far.

• 11 months later...

I am glad I found what others tip. Good to know I've always been in the same ballpark as everyone else....

I am taking my cousin with me on my upcoming dive, and during my dive 1, she'll be taking the intro to scuba class. On dive 2, we'll go together with the DM. Should I use the same tipping guideline with the Intro to Scuba Instructor? Or is it more because he is more hands on?

Thanks

I'd have your cousin tip the Intro Instructor separately, especially if she loves the experience, and then between the two of you for the other dive, ten bucks would probably be the least I'd give. I typically tip at least $20-25for both my wife and I on a typical dive charter, and if we're diving with just the two of us and a DM, I push the amount up, sometimes X2. Years ago, aboard my boat, I appreciated anything I might get, and things don't change. If you enjoy, tip ahoy!:eek:

DH handles the tipping - but it usually starts at $20 for the two of us on a two tanker, more if the DM sets up gear, I shuck my gear in the water, etc.

Sometimes I get really spoiled, too... Lady divers are no longer an oddity, but that little nod & smile when they recognize the real thing is always good for some extra $ in the tip packet.

Hope this helps!

Wendy

Archived