August T/A WB Weather

tabascored

Can anyone share their weather experiences on sailing transatlantic late August? :confused: Also, what is the weather in Southampton the same time as we will be staying there a few days before leaving for sea.

Thanks

Sue

Tabascored:

Have seen beautifully calm weather in August with great sunsets. Is also refreshingly cool at sea. The only usual problem at that time is if a tropical storm/hurricane gets that far north. Usually they are predicted and are mostly avoidable. Have seen weather in Hampshire sunny and hot with highish humidity in August. The only real problem is crowds everywhere. head for the countryside.

Sounds like a good trip.

Jim.

@ tabascored,

We've been on an W/B crossing last year in Aug. and it was sunny the whole way. Just try to get a "posh" cabin which means Port side if you are leaving the old continent. Then you'll have the sun in your cabin. We also had wonderful sunrises and sunsets every day with just one foggy morning. Which deck are you going to stay?

All the best to your trip from

Hello, the weather in Southampton in August is the same as the rest of the UK: unpredictable. If you're lucky it will be sunny and hot. If not, it will be wet. It shouldn't be cold, but no-one can give any guarantees. BBC have excellent website (bbc.co.uk/weather), from which you should be able to get average temperatures/rainfall etc. for Southampton in August. The good news is that the south of the UK is warmer than the north.

Sorry to be so vague, but that's how our weather is; if it were predictable, we would have nothing to moan about.

Regards, Mary

Jim, Robert & Mary,

Thanks for your valuable information. I just don't want to overpack for this trip.

Robert, unfortunatly we already have a starboard cabin mid-ship on deck 11. So I guess we'll be shaded. There are so many open decks on the ship I don't think this is in anyway an issue. I'll know for my next crossing.

Can't wait to go. I've been planning this for two years.

Best regards,

Sue

Sue:

You will have a great time. Glad you picked the Westbound, thats our favorite. Cant beat those 25 hour days and the somewhat different passenger mix. Too bad we have to wait till April 07 for our next QE2 crossing. Be sure to post a review when you return.

All the best,

Jim.

@ tabascored,

eleven deck is fine anyway with just a few steps to the top of the ship. If you like sunrises, try to get up in the morning, its in the ship news when the sun will appear. I got my best pics in this moment.

Would like to come with you, but have to wait, best regards to the RMS QUEEN MARY 2 and to NYC from

Sea state is always a crap shoot!

We did a WB trans-Atlantic 8-90, Southampton/NYC on the Crown Odyssey, and it was fairly rough.

We did another WB trans-Atlantic, 8-02, Venice to NYC, and it was very rough. We hit two different storms dying out in the Atlantic West of the Azores. We had bow slap spray raining DOWN on our balcony on Caribe deck (Deck 10), and several windows along Prom Deck shattered while ship was fighting for headway. Rough water put us into NYC 6 hrs late - what a zoo that disembarkation was!

Druke,

I was mainly concerned about air temp. The Atlantic can be pretty snotty and with the frequency of tropical storms last year it will be a blessing if seas are calm. Glad we're on 11 deck!

Robert,

We will surely get up for sunrise. I can picture it now, sitting in the whirlpool aft on 11 deck with the sun rising over the Atlantic. Brings tears to my eyes. At that time of the morning we can dress in our Cunard robes and not have a care.

The only real problem is crowds everywhere. head for the countryside.

Sounds like a good trip.

Jim.

Hey Jim,

Any suggestions? We have a car for a few days. The only two things we had planned was to go to Portsmouth and Tourqay (big Fawlty Towers Fans).

Thanks,

Sue

Hi Sue:

Cornwall is beautiful and you can stop in Devon for the clotted cream. Portsmouths Naval Museum is well worth a look. There are some lovely villages in the New Forest not to distant from Southampton. Possibly some of our British CCers can add more.

All the best,

Jim.

Archived