Weather on ocean LA to Hawaii?

fitznorton

I am looking to all who took the March 12th Summit cruise to Hawaii. How was the weather from LA to Hawaii? Were you able to sit by the pool? How was the weather in the islands? I am looking to finalize my packing for the 4/9 cruise. Do I take pants, capris, or shorts? Thanks so much!

The first 2 days out of LA were a bit on the cool side. The first day was overcast but not the next. There were many people sitting outside, near the pool, in the sunshine, with these lovely blankets that Celebrity provides. After that we mainly had sunshine in the 70's.

When we got to the Islands, we had a 2 Islands that were overcast but not the others. I wore shorts and capris. It was especially lovely in Honolulu, in the 80's.

On the way home we had sunshine, with temps in the 60's and 70's. I sat in the sunshine at the front of the ship. It was out of the breeze and there were many people in bathing suits there.

I would have a pair of light pants with you, just in case.

Thank you....after reading about the weather I was concerned it would be really cold! Another question if you don't mind. What time were you off the ship? I am a little nervous about making my flight home. Thanks again!

Gross generalization of course - but often chilly and a little choppy 1st two days out of LA, with temps increasing and seas smoothing as you sail West.

Should be good pool weather - at least it has been for us.

Love those sea days - we find them very relaxing.

If you are flying home directly after disembarking, you shouldn't have any problems making a flight after l2noon. I wouldn't try for an earlier flight - but I tend to err on the side of caution.

We were in Honolulu early April last year (not on a cruise unfortunately). The weather was lovely every day in the high 80's, however we also got some rain every day so do take a brolly and/or light raincoat. It only every rained for about 15 minutes but boy did it come down.

Thank you....after reading about the weather I was concerned it would be really cold! Another question if you don't mind. What time were you off the ship? I am a little nervous about making my flight home. Thanks again!

We had an 11:30 flight out of LAX. We disembarked at about 8:30 a.m. We were at LAX by 9:00a.m. There is quite a bit of security at LAX but we had plenty of time.

We didn't take chances with transportation. We grabbed a taxi.

Did you have priority disembarkation with Celebrity to get off the Summit that early? If I have an early flight (11:30 AM) who do I speak with on the ship? Did you carry your own bags off the ship? Thanks again!!!!!

On the second day of the cruise, they handed out a form to fill in. On it you had to list you flight and number and your departure time. We were the second group of the ship. There were some with 11:00 a.m flights.

If we hadn't of got an early disembarkation, we would have spoken to someone. Who I never found out.

Hope this helps. I understand your concern. I was very nervous myself. But it all worked out fine.

If you need to speak to someone about changing your disembarkation, do so at the purser's office. On the day they handed out the luggage tags, they also had special desks set up to handle the steady stream of people making requests.

Fitz, I know it's not Brand X, but we sailed to and from Hawaii on QM2 in late Feb/early March. It was our second cruise to Hawaii. Generally, the first couple of days are chilly--not freezing, but given the speed of the ship, brisk. Sure, you can sit by the pool if it's sunny, but it's not what I'd call swimsuit weather. However, by day three or so, it begins to warm up and you can enjoy the pool area and sun decks. And in Hawaii, you can absolutely count on it being warm, rain or shine (average temp in the islands is 80-ish in the daytime.

Unfortunately, Hawaii has had some record rain lately (they even closed Waikiki because of a massive sewage spill that was rain related). However, as of today (April 5) it is sunny and warm. I'd say, before you go, check the satellite weather map and see if there's any bad stuff lurking over the islands.

For clothes, I'd take maybe a sweather or windbreaker for those first days on deck during the cruise. But after you're in sight of Hawaii, I think shorts and stuff will suffice. Besides, inside the ship, it's temperate and on our cruise, most of us West Coasters wore our Hawaiian shirts.

The best day we had while at sea (not cruising in the islands, which is almost always nice) was day two out of Hawaii when we had absolutely flat seas and great, sunny weather. Of course, then it got windy and choppy, but hey, two out of three ain't bad.:) Enjoy your cruise. Wish we were joining you.

We were on the March 12th Summit and had an 11:18 flight, with first call to disembark. You pick up your luggage when you get off, we had too much to try to carry it off ourselves.

We took a cab which cost approx. $45.00 to the airport pre-tip. Don't worry about cabs, there are lots of them waiting. We had four of us, and lots of luggage. We asked for a van and they directed us to the first taxi-van in line. We got to the airport by 9:30. Plenty of time.

Oh and he did take the freeway, and he drove extremely fast! My husband said he looked at the guage and it read 90mph. He said, 'I sure hope that's broken and that we aren't really doing 90'. (I think he was probably doing 80. ) I just assumed he was trying to drop us off and make it back to the pier before it was too late for more customers.

I was a little worried, as I've read where San Pedro security doesn't always go so smoothly. But it all went fine.

Archived