New to Celebrity - Need a Bit of Cabin Help

infolady

Hi ...

My husband and I have been cruising for years (HAL, Crystal, NCL, Oceania) but have just booked our first Celebrity cruise and are quite excited about it.

We are booked on the Summit for the January 6, 2007 Panama Canal cruise from LA to Fort Lauderdale and are tentatively in cabin 7080. My question is which side of the ship (or does it matter) for the Eastern trip is best? I know 7080 on the starboard side has the triangular, larger balcony as does 7049 on the port side. What about shade? Any other cabin recommendations for this particular trip?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Cynthia

Hello,

I've been on M Class ships many times & it's our favorite type ship. We have also been through the Panama Canal 3 times & have a 4th scheduled for next Feb. As far as location on the ship for viewing the locks, the ONLY place to actually see the ship going through the locks is either in the very front of the ship or aft on the ship. If you are on either side you will not be able to see because of the overhang. Depending upon which set of locks the ship goes through you may be able to see another ship going through the other lane. However, from past experience it's best to see your own ship pass through. Once you are through the locks it doesn't make much difference which side of the ship you are on until you go through the locks on the other side of Panama. I suggest you read "The Path Between the Seas". It's very long & detailed but worth the effort in my opinion. If you have any more questions, post it here & I'll try & help. Enjoy your cruise.

Budd ...

Thanks so much for the info! It is as I thought re port or starbord. I had ordered David McCullough's "The Path Between the Seas" and am very much looking forward to reading it!

If I come up with any more questions, I will most assuredly post them. Thanks again!

Cynthia

Cabin 7080 will give you afternoon sun as you cruise down the Mexican coast.

And your cabin - balcony will face out to sea.

There is only a 50% chance for any real advantage as you go through the locks. That your balcony is facing the middle lock. But your into the Canal at about 5:00am and it's dark. But by about 6:30am the sun is up.

There is no real advantage once you have left the Canal as the ports are far apart. And you would be at sea and unable to see much of anything.

You will get a bit more sun once the ship moves from Panama to Aruba.

Then it reverses as you leave Aruba to Ft. Lauderdale you would get AM sun on your balcony.

That is the information I was looking for regarding the sun! Thank you. I assume that the balcony above us will afford us some shade for the early part of the afternoon. I am more interested in the morning as I enjoy having my morning coffee on the balcony and thought I had selected the proper side of the ship to not have the sun beating on me in the morning for most of the trip.

Cynthia

Archived