Change in Embarkation Port

cookie1961

Hi everyone,

It seems that our December 23/06 cruise, which was supposed to leave from Fort Lauderdale is now leaving from Miami instead. We have already booked our custom air through Celebrity.

From previous posts, I know that the ride from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the port is not very far. I have no idea how far the Miami airport is from the port, nor do I know how far Ft. Lauderdale Airport is from the Miami port.

I would really appreciate some advice on what to do. Should we fly into Miami or just take the shuttles offered by the cruise company from Ft. Lauderdale? We had a terrible experience last Christmas from Houston to Galveston and I don't want the same thing to happen.

Thanks everyone,

Teri

I would really appreciate some advice on what to do. Should we fly into Miami or just take the shuttles offered by the cruise company from Ft. Lauderdale? We had a terrible experience last Christmas from Houston to Galveston and I don't want the same thing to happen.

Thanks everyone,

Teri

I was just in Miami and made my way to FLL.

I waited an hour for my taxi to the airport. I wanted to take the super shuttle from Miami airport to FLL. The shuttle was stuck in traffic and after 45 minutes waiting I asked about an alternative. The girl told me to take a taxi to the tri-rail station to take a train to FLL airport. Taxi would be $10 flat rate. but trains run every hour... I went back to the shuttle... after another 20 minutes no luck. A guy then told me to take the bus (free) to the station, a 4 minute ride), 10 minute wait and th train took about 20 minutes to get to FLL.

The shuttle is $29 pp one way!!

The train $3.00. a bus takes you to the airport from the station.

Traffic is horrible when it's bad.

I would suggest flying to Miami or take Celebrity shuttle.

Thanks C2C. We do have Custom Air booked through Celebrity which does include a shuttle service from the airport to the Port. I guess my concern is that the Air we booked was done before the Embarkation port changed. As well, we had such difficulty with a Celebrity shuttle last Christmas with Celebrity from Houston to Galveston and I really want to avoid that such a mess if at all possible. I was glad about leave from Ft. Lauderdale because I know the port and airport are in close proximity. We could have grabbed a cab at our own expense if the Shuttle was delayed.

How far would it be from the Ft. Lauderdale airport to the Miami port?

Thanks again,

Teri

The airport experience at FLL is much nicer than at MIA. You're flying in on a Saturday, there really shouldn't be too much traffic to worry about. It's about a 45 minute ride to the Port of Miami.

Shouldn't they be able to change you to MIA since it is so far in advance? MIA is about 10-15 minutes to the Port of Miami.

Thanks for your message Howard. I just got off the phone with Custom Air and they assured me that we will get transfers to the Airport. When I asked about changing the air to MIA, they stated there would be a $64 fee because we are making changes. Since FLL is an alternate airport they use for the port of Miami, they said we should get there no problem. The service rep told me though it's only 20 mins from FLL to Miami pier!!! Oh well, we should be arriving in FLL before 10 am. That should give us lots of time.

Should I press the issue about booking us to go through MIA? I could make a fuss about them waiving the service fee, since they changed the embarkation port.

Thanks,

Teri

There is construction along I-95 between the two. The shuttle people told me normal travel time is about 45 minutes between airports.

Microsoft Streets & Trips gives a distance of 27.3 mi. from MIA to FLL and a time of 39 minutes.

The cost of a taxi is about $70.00.

I am sure weekend travel is much lighter and the roads should be ok between the two for cruise departure.

For anyone who wants to travel from one airport to the other in case of traffic tie-ups or accidents, the tri rail offers a good alternative at a cost of $3.00. There is a free shuttle bus from each airport to the station.

Archived