Tour Coach vs. Private Driver/Guide

Threadfin

I have a few questions. First, if the ship arrives say at 9:00 AM, what time should I tell the driver to pick us up? I realize if I have to take a tender that it will take longer.Also, what is the standard tip for a driver? Finally, is it really worth the extra money for the driver instead of the tour coach? I haven't made up my mind as to which to choose on the Mediterranean Explorer. Thanks so much for your help. Thread

I'm arranging a driver through my Travel Agent, a lady who teaches with me. It's 750 Euros per eight hour day. Other companies were even higher. My original question was, although I don't believe I made myself clear, how long does it take to get off of the ship after arriving in port if you have a driver? From what I've read, you are allowed to go first at the port. It would then seem that an hour after arriving one could meet the driver. I was hoping that someone had that information. Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I received a book last week that lists the excursions on the Med Explorer 12 day trip. Can you book those trips before the trip through Cunard or do you have to do it on the ship? I decided to only use a driver just for the two days in England and do the excursions on the Med trip. The drivers charge for four and eight hours only, not by the hour. I have no idea how long it takes to get off the ship. Plus the length of time in every port is a bit different. So I'm going to see what a bus tour is like. After this trip, I'll have a feel for the time involved and hopefully book drivers on my future cruises. I wish that I could help you. Threadler

The first passengers off the ship are usually those taking the earliest trips, though there is no reason why anyone could not go ashore as soon as the gangway is cleared for passengers.

David.

When we have visited Barcelona on cruises, we have used the Barcelona Bus Touristic. There are three intersecting routes, red, blue and green line. We got it quite close to the ship. The fare was 17 euros, and we could get on and off all day, visiting whatever attractions we wanted to see. We were given a map, and the trip was narrated. We bought our tickets on the bus. We thought it was a great way to see much of Barcelona very reasonably. There are also tramways available, for an additional cost, I think, to go to see views of the city from high above.

You can get information on their website - Barcelona Bus Touristic. Barcelona was a favorite city for us.

Unless you have specific things you want to see and do, I wouldn't book a driver - especially not at those rates! You'll find taxis at the piers and the stops you name are all good cities for self exploration (although I like the Barcelona tour bus idea) - I think you'll find a driver superfluous as taxis should be pretty easily available. It does depend, though, on your sense of adventure and independence. You would also want to be sure to know how to arrange a taxi back to the ship by boarding time. Alternatively, have your TA arrange for a private pick up and drop off at a fraction of the total day cost.

Would anyone possibly know if you can book bus excursions before boarding? If not, is it wise to go directly to wherever on the ship that one books them when you first get on in order to be sure that you get the trip you want. I just got off the phone with Cunard and forgot to ask. Threadless

Would anyone possibly know if you can book bus excursions before boarding? If not, is it wise to go directly to wherever on the ship that one books them when you first get on in order to be sure that you get the trip you want. I just got off the phone with Cunard and forgot to ask. Threadless

Sometimes you can book a tour in advance, but it's not usual. Most tours have plenty of availability, but if you want to be sure then you should make the tour office your first call. Remember that for the price of a tour for two you can normally book a taxi for a whole day - he'll go where you want without having to wait for other people.

Malcolm

Thank you, Malcom. I'm a teacher also. My wife is a computer teacher as well. The taxi idea sounds great. I am a huge Lewis Carroll fan. While in England, I'm going to visit Oxford where he was a math instructor for twenty-six years. I have always been fascinated by his logic and love of words. Threadsel

Teachers? and Computers? They get everywhere:D

One thing that is worth doing is buying a guidebook for each port before you go - that way you get the joy of reading about where you're going to go and you can also decide what you want to see before you get there (Although be prepared to change your mind if your driver recommends something else).

Teachers? and Computers? They get everywhere:D

One thing that is worth doing is buying a guidebook for each port before you go - that way you get the joy of reading about where you're going to go and you can also decide what you want to see before you get there (Although be prepared to change your mind if your driver recommends something else).

One book I have bought repeatedly is Caribbean Ports of Call- (There is a version with and without Panama and South American Carib Ports) by Kay Showker. published by Saybrook Press, I think (I don't have it handy.) It's always been under $20.00, but I haven't updated it in a few years. That won't help with the Mediterranean, but I am sure there is a similar book for there. It gives a brief synopsis of each country/island/port their political system, history, culture, holidays, religious make-up, monetary system and then some typical shore excursions with approximate prices and operator information and typical taxi fares and whether regulated. It gives you tips on not getting ripped off.

One secret. Most cruiselines use most of the same tour operators. I have even compared between cruiselines. If you want to see what might be offered and the apprximate cost, and Cunard does not yet list their tours online, go to RCCL, Princess, NCL, HAL or the dreaded Carnival and see what they are offering for excursions and at what cost. Remember that the QM2 will often have to tender when others do not, due to her size.

This method may not get you exactly the offerings and their current costs, but they will come close and give you a good idea of what to expect.

Karie, who has done this before!

We tend towards the Rough Guides "Directions" series. They are written about a specific town or area, eg Lisbon, Barcelona, They are written with the short break market in mind, are small enough to go in a pocket and come with an e-book version to put on your PDA.

Malcolm

Thanks, Super K! Cunard sent me a book with all of their Shore Excursion options and prices. I will seek the Med. version of the book after school today. I guess you have to do it once to really get the hang of it. In 04, I had a driver for 12 days in England and Ireland. I was on business for my trust. It, having a driver, made it very easy. The Ireland driver was one of the neatest persons whom I have ever met. In the evening he would always come to pick me up when he was off the clock. We'd then go to pubs and hear Irish music. In Dublin, he walked 45 minutes to my hotel because of traffic and we went out to the pubs downtown. What a great trip. Talk about a party city! Dublin is it! Threadum

aren't there guidebooks in the library on the QM2?

I would think that there will be - there are on QE2 - but remember two things: it's not just one person who might want them, there's no guarantee that someone else won't be looking when you look and you miss out on all the fun of researching the places you're going:)

There are on QM 2. I've seen them; however, I believe that I would rather purchase them to have time to peruse the texts before June 9th. I'll bring the ones I buy on the ship, LC, and you can read them if you wish. Look for me directly in front of a draft Stella tap. Threadquaffer

There are on QM 2. I've seen them; however, I believe that I would rather purchase them to have time to peruse the texts before June 9th. I'll bring the ones I buy on the ship, LC, and you can read them if you wish. Look for me directly in front of a draft Stella tap. Threadquaffer

I believe you will find our thready finny friend at the Golden Lion.

Ah yes, the trust. I had forgotten about that.

And the Palm Beaches have some partiers, too! I know some of them, and have partied with them! <G>

The good thing about buying the books is that you can get an idea of what you want to do BEFORE you go- I can spend the first three days hemming and hawing about what to do on the second day!

And I can't guarantee Kay Showker did a version on the Med, but I am sure you can find a similar book. And Yes, there are TONS of them in the QM2 library. And I always bring mine with me.

Karie,

who now has to figure out how to go on Threadfin's cruise, too!

Archived