Xpedition Itinerary Mods

Kamper

I just got a fax from Celebrity. It looks like for sailings beginning with June 4th there are going to be some changes. I was waiting for this after seeing a notice on the IGTOA website that they and the park were working on itinerary changes for tourist vessles to lessen impact in certain areas. Here are the changes:

Tuesday AM was Puerto Ayora on Santa Cruz, now Cormorant Point on Florena

Tuesday PM was Cerro Dragon on Santa Cruz, now Baroness Outlook on Florena

Thursday AM was Caleta Tagus on Isabela, now Elizabeth Bay on Isabela

Saturday AM was Bahia Post Office on Florena and PM was the second trip to Puerto Ayora, now the whole day will be at Puerto Ayora

My book says Cormorant Point has a big flamingo lagoon (but no cormorants). I don't see Baroness Outlook in the book. It's interesting to note that Elizabeth Bay is not a landing site. Instead you cruise through the mangroves. I guessing that some people will be upset with the loss of the trip to the post office barrell.

I am surprised there will be so many changes to the itinerary. I hadn't heard anything about the need to change the landings. I will be on the Xpedition next week--I will ask them about the changes and what it means as far as wildlife viewing.

I would like to hear what the guides have to say. I think that Cormorant Point and Elizabeth Bay look interesting. I can't find anything on Baroness outlook though. Perhaps you can find out what that site offers. I wonder if we'll get to go snorkeling at the Devil's Crown. That would be cool!

The notice about the changes is here:

www.igtoa.org/newsletter/2006/february/

I imagine the fact that Celebrity was fined recently put them in an akward place for negoitations with the park officials.

Safe travels.

We received the new itinerary from our TA this morning. Has there ever been a resolution with the Park Service? Last I heard, X was going to have to suspend cruises for 60 days, but there's been no more word.

I wouldn't even worry about it except my cruise luck has been terrible lately. It started with the amended Millie transatlantic, which turned out fine, and then progressed on to our recently cancelled Star transatlantic. We have since rebooked a Danube river cruise to replace it, but the Danube is flooded and shut down to shipping. It makes me just a little bit nervous that they'll haggle and haggle, and then take their suspension fine just as we're getting ready for our Xpedition in December:eek: I would like to apologize in advance to anyone that has a booking around the same time that I do:o

I haven't heard anything about the suspension either. The fax shows sailing dates through April of next year, except for the planned dry dock in September. I bet they are just going to pay a fhefty fine.

I know what you mean about bad luck. I use to be known as the hurricane kid! It got so bad that my co-workers would check to see that I wasn't going to the Caribbean when they were.

I haven't heard from our travel agent yet, but am not going to concern myself. I'm sure that whatever we do will be wonderful. If the changes mean that there is less harm to the animals and the islands then I'm all for it. :)

Babo

Archived