Elderly passenger - Muster drill

If I sounded preachy' date=' I'm sorry. I hate muster drills so much, mainly because I arrive early and get put near the back. With the life jacket on, I'm usually sweltering. I have to keep reminding myself of the drill's importance.[/quote']

Not at all! I was referring to people ( obviously able bodied) who "chastise" those who are not by reminding us the drill is manatory and serious . I think most of us are aware of it's importance. However, if you are traveling with someone who is disabled you are all too aware already that it is you who they will rely on. I, as well as every other member of my family, take that responsibility seriously and not one of us would bet on relying on a crew member in the case of real emergency. I've been to too many drills poorly conducted to think any of them have a clue. Drills actually scare me because they remind me how inept most of the crew really are. On our cruise last week we were directed by various crew members no fewer than six times to different locations and exits. I thought my father was going to pop his cork. And as uncomfortable as it is for you to stand in sweltering heat with a life jacket on, think of how it must be for someone in a wheelchair wearing one. :(

Rainbow I am sorry you concider me being preachy but it just shows you have never been in a real emergency at sea. If your mom is having such a problem getting around when nothing has happened just imagine the problem when things do go wrong. Remember you too will not have the calm you normally do if the ship is begining to list or corridors are full of smoke. This is the mistake most people make - they don't read AND understand the signs behind the doors and then they just follow the corridor without really getting any orientation like counting the number of wall panels for example. I know it sounds really stupid but in your situation I would really get to know my way to the outside deck blind!!!

Crew members will check cabins and help will be sent for those unable to help themselves - that is what it looks like on paper however what happens if the crew member assigned to you cabin row is trapped under deck and cannot get to you..... well that is also the reason why handicaped persons are not allowed to travel on their own.

This is a general rule for life always try to be able to help yourself. I cannot stress this enough but the better you know your ship the calmer you will be in the event of such an emergency. The only death on the Star was a heart attack and I am sure panic played a role in this sad case. We ALL tend to over estimated how well we can contain our anxiety and the feelings of panic when situation threaten our lives.

One more tip before I go when booking a cruise with your mom have a look at the decks plan to see if there isn't a cabin Cat near those exists to make your life a little easier -besides I bet your mom qualifies for one of thos HD cabins and are often close to exists.

Just returned on 4/9/06 from eastern caribbean on explorer. I traveled with my mother who is 74 years old. They warn you approximately 15 minutes before the muster drill when it will happen. We went to our stateroom and got our life jackets and proceeded to our muster station by taking the elevator. They had no problem with letting the elderly passengers take the elevator but made the others take the stairs. There was also a young woman on oxygen and she also took the elevator. They are very accomadating with the elderly.

One more tip before I go when booking a cruise with your mom have a look at the decks plan to see if there isn't a cabin Cat near those exists to make your life a little easier -besides I bet your mom qualifies for one of thos HD cabins and are often close to exists.

She does qualify for HD and we consider cabin location very carefully on each cruise with her. My husband and I tend to be at our calmest in emergency situations ( we wait until it's over to fall apart <G>). My mother is 4'11'' and weighs 85 lbs. Anyone man in our family could carry her pretty easily. The more important issue with my mother is her mental capacity. She would have no idea where to go or what to do even if she could walk, so it's up to us to care for her 100% and we know it. A drill is just upsetting to her and of no help at all although I agree everyone traveling with her needs to attend and be fully aware of exit strategy.

I was not referring to you personally Moeve. I appreciate each and every tip I receive on this wonderful board. I just get weary from hearing people who do not deal with a handicap person judging those of us who do and how we do it. Some people can be quite sharp in their comments but I took no offense from yours. :)

Just returned on 4/9/06 from eastern caribbean on explorer. I traveled with my mother who is 74 years old. They warn you approximately 15 minutes before the muster drill when it will happen. We went to our stateroom and got our life jackets and proceeded to our muster station by taking the elevator. They had no problem with letting the elderly passengers take the elevator but made the others take the stairs. There was also a young woman on oxygen and she also took the elevator. They are very accomadating with the elderly.

Yes, we have been using the elevators on the last three cruises. It's the only way. We also go early and then wait about 20 mins after to catch an elevator back. All in all in takes us around an hour to complete the drill.

I´m sure if any person with disabilities tell the cruise line upfront about their needs they will try everything to accomodate. However I doubt they can release anybody from the muster drill. Accomodate during the drill as much as possible yes, but to allow to not attend the drill is beyond the cruise lines controll as it´s a coast guard regulation that the drill is mandatory.

I believe if the cruiseline would allow someone to not attend they could run into serious problems with the coast guard and it could even affect the ships classification.

Upon seeing a couple in the elevator on one cruise with their life jackets on, they said they were attending a mandatory life boat drill since they had missed the one when we sailed. Evidentally they keep track and have you attend a private one later.

Upon seeing a couple in the elevator on one cruise with their life jackets on, they said they were attending a mandatory life boat drill since they had missed the one when we sailed. Evidentally they keep track and have you attend a private one later.

Yes they do! I can tell this from own experience.

No I didn´t skip the drill. I attended like I did on all cruises but somehow they must have missed to check me off their list when arriving at the muster station. I received a letter the next day in my cabin stating that I missed the drill and giving day and time for a repeat drill. I had to sort that out with the pursers desk.

So from this experience I can tell you they do kep track!

Archived