Wearing medals

michaelq

I'm retired AF and wear mine on formal nights with a tux. However, I

believe you can also wear them with a suit on formal occassions - I

believe Formal nights on a cruise or almost anywhere would count.

Although some might think it pretentious to wear medals, it is a fairly common practice, perhaps even more so with our UK & Commonwealth Comrades-in-Arms.

I personally think the minatures, as opposed to the full size, are more appropriate looking, although I have no authority backing that position.

Is it appropriate to wear ones medal(s) at the formal evenings? Won a medal and never have a chance to wear it !!

I think the technical answer is:

"Members of the various Orders of Chivalry and all other persons who have been awarded Decorations and Medals may, should they wish to do so, wear their Insignia on those occasions when the person responsible for a function deems it fitting for Decorations to be worn."

In other words, IF the invitation specifies wearing of medals then it is 'appropriate'. Would you wear them to visit a restaurant?

On the other hand.....I'm sure your dining companions would be interested to learn what your medal is about and how you got it....bearing in mind that not all of the US's or UK's military adventures have met with unreserved enthusiasm!

A fuller explanation of American conventions can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/6708/dec1.txt

Peter

yes sir !!!you earned them!!! you wear them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! we should always be proud of what we did or do!!!!!!! I wear mine you wear yours!!!!!!!!!! semper fi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! do or die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ugh ugh ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the technical answer is:

"Members of the various Orders of Chivalry and all other persons who have been awarded Decorations and Medals may, should they wish to do so, wear their Insignia on those occasions when the person responsible for a function deems it fitting for Decorations to be worn."

In other words, IF the invitation specifies wearing of medals then it is 'appropriate'. Would you wear them to visit a restaurant?

On the other hand.....I'm sure your dining companions would be interested to learn what your medal is about and how you got it....bearing in mind that not all of the US's or UK's military adventures have met with unreserved enthusiasm!

A fuller explanation of American conventions can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/6708/dec1.txt

Peter

dear peter I wear mine to celebrate the protection of your right to suggest to speak your real thoughts semper fi do or die ugh ugh ugh

Can I wear my girl scout badges?

How about my CAP medals?

Karie,

Who is feeling mischeivous tonight after not checking in for a couple of days.

(Truly I think it is marvelous for those who have earned an honor to wear it proudly.)

Wear those medals and be proud of them and what they stand for!! I for one would be honored to hear how you earned them.

As to the tiara...darn..I tossed mine. Never thought of formal night ....

Cheers, Penny

dear peter I wear mine to celebrate the protection of your right to suggest to speak your real thoughts semper fi do or die ugh ugh ugh

So that was in 1945.....problem is, medals won after that may be a little more contentious......I think there would be little objection from fellow diners to wearing WWII decorations.....'Operation Iraqi Freedom' medals on the other hand may generate more heat than light......

Peter

You will see quite a few people wearing medals on formal nights particularly for the Captains Welcome Aboard Party. I think it is very appropriate. I am sure I have seen some of the officers on QE2 wearing medals. Some people even wear their Gold Cunader pin.

I am sure nobody would have a problem with you wearing medals. They reflect a personal contribution of service to your country. I would respect people who have won medals regardless of my view of the politics of any conflict involved. Also not all medals are awarded for military service.

Best wishes, Stephen.

I left my medels at home along with my contentious political and religious opinions!

Jack

Dear jack i believe you are the gentleman that kept us posted on your recent trip on the QM2 to south america. Thanx for the daily reports and I hope you and your wife are feeling well as i recall b oth you and your wife were not feeling well at the end of your trip!! thanx again!!

Of course everyone has an opinion but, from a British point of view, the general feeling would be that medals are worn only at military gatherings, remembrance parades, mess dinners and civic occasions where medals are specified on the invitation. I would not have thought that dining on a cruise liner, often with strangers, would be the right place. In any event, most Brits would be too modest for such ostentation (and, I'm sure, many Americans too). Have I got any British military medals? Yes! Would I wear them on a cruise liner? Perish the thought! In a previous post Karie asks if she can wear her Girl Scout Badges? .. and I was tempted to ask if Dance Medals would be permitted! You see where it could all lead? There's a time and place for everything but if it turns you on then go ahead. But spare a thought for the chap without any who is allocated to a table occupied by gentlemen decked out in assorted medals. It's enough to give a hapless cruiser an inferiority complex!

Keep smiling,

Slow Foxtrot.

This may seem nit-picking to some of you, but I feel compelled to say this:

As someone who has been in combat and wore the uniform, I really don't care for campy comparisons of military medals to girl scout badges, tiaras, etc. I know it was meant in jest, but it is not appreciated. Political ideology should never prevent someone from respecting sacrifices of others.

Often those medals represent people shedding blood or witnessing the death of close friends and deserve to be treated accordingly.

As someone who has been in combat and wore the uniform, I really don't care for campy comparisons of military medals to girl scout badges, tiaras, etc. I know it was meant in jest, but it is not appreciated. Political ideology should never prevent someone from respecting sacrifices of others.

Often those medals represent people shedding blood or witnessing the death of close friends and deserve to be treated accordingly.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, exactly, well said.

That's why I left them at home.

2moose

Both Ann and I are now fully recovered. It's taken nearly two months but we're finally putting some weight back on (grin).

We really enjoyed the cruise despite the last 10 days.

My next holiday is in Crete, June 20 to July 4 and I plan to do a sub section of JackatSea called JackonLand, as this time I'm staying in a hotel, which hopefully won't "lose a pod".

Many people emailed and asked me to install a way for them to post feedback and tell their stories, so I uploaded probably the easiest (free) guestbook/blog comment program in the world.

You can post comments on the blog at:

http://www.jackatsea.com/comments/guestbook.cgi

No need to register and it doesn't require or display email addresses.

Hopefully, some of the friends we met on board and on this board will look in and have a chat.

Best regards

Jack

Of course everyone has an opinion but, from a British point of view, the general feeling would be that medals are worn only at military gatherings, remembrance parades, mess dinners and civic occasions where medals are specified on the invitation. I would not have thought that dining on a cruise liner, often with strangers, would be the right place. In any event, most Brits would be too modest for such ostentation (and, I'm sure, many Americans too). Have I got any British military medals? Yes! Would I wear them on a cruise liner? Perish the thought! In a previous post Karie asks if she can wear her Girl Scout Badges? .. and I was tempted to ask if Dance Medals would be permitted! You see where it could all lead? There's a time and place for everything but if it turns you on then go ahead. But spare a thought for the chap without any who is allocated to a table occupied by gentlemen decked out in assorted medals. It's enough to give a hapless cruiser an inferiority complex!

Keep smiling,

Slow Foxtrot.

With respect, those QE2 officers who served with their ship in the Falklands conflict, do wear their medals on formal nights. I think if they think it appropriate, that makes it appriate in my book!

I do not think anyone said they didn't respect any of you and your medals. It's about where do you draw the line, and who will you make uncomfortable wearing whatever. It's important to remember we all have personal experiences and none of us, for the most part, know anything about who is writing on this message board. I don't think anyone means to offend anyone. It's a message board that reflects many diverse opinions.

HeelMD,

I apologize. No excuses. I sometimes make comments to make people laugh (and gain attention) without realzing that they could be hurtful to some.

I was turned down for military service (and the Air Force Reserves) due to medical history. I served in Civil Air Patrol a civilan Auxialiry of the United States Air Force. It's where I got my first flying lesson at the ripe old age of 14. i won a flying scholoarship. I've served as commander of a search and rescue mission. I learned my military protocols and can still count cadence (at 51) with the best of them. Watch me march them into King's Court!<LOL> Despite my politics being somewhat left of center (though varying at time and on particular subjects) I have always had the utmost respect for our men and women who serve, regardless of my feelings about the war or conflict they served in. I was actually given an honorary membership in the Viet Nam Vets association at the University of Tennessee. One of my strongest regrets was not paying more attention when we were LIVING history (good or bad) and today I coax others to tell me about it, IF THEY FEEL COMFORTABLE! Some will not talk about it. I would never push. Some want to put it behind them, others want to remember and work through unresolved issues. And no doubt, such experiences cn be intense emotional times which create permanent bonds.

Doc (Heel just doesn't sound right!) I thank you for defending whatever country and rights you fought for, and the pride you had in service. Even those who went to war because they had no choice (drafted), or maybe even for the wrong reasons (hey! It happens. Some kids want to get out of the house, or maybe get the college meoney withouth thinking they could end up in a war, or getting killed or maimed!) I have respect for all. I work down the street from the Rocky Hill, CT Veteran's home. I have attended observances, special memorials and more, in honor of our vets.

Although I made light, and there are, occasionally, what one of my commanders once called "dime store cowboys who got their medals at the Army Navy store," most people who wish to wear their medals (especially something like a purple heart) do so with pride, and should be respected as such.

Indeed, if I were seated with someone wearing their medals I would very much want to engage them in explanations of what each medal was for, what campaigns, and what it all means to him or her. Heck, I mean this as no disrepect to military medals, but I was honored when I was given a pin for my participation in Habitat for Humanity. It means a lot to me. I am in decrepit physical condition, but never too broken to help another to rise up and stand tall, in their own home which they helped build. And yes, I always wear at least ONE of my Cunard pins to the special cocktail parties.

So truly,

I apologize to you. And thank you for whatever your service was. Even if I might not have support the cause, whatever it was, I respect the fact that you (and others) served proudly.

Karie, Who is truly ashamed that she has appeared to have made light of someone else's acheivements and heartache.

Michaelq who began this thread said he 'never gets a chance' to wear his medal. The only time I have ever seen medals worn is at Remembrance Services and social occasions which are specific to military experience- my uncle used to attend dinners to commemorate the Battle of Cambrais etc. I wonder if Michaelq gets the chance to attend at least a Remembrance Day?

I truly am thankful to all those who offer their lives to protect us but personally do not think a 'civilian' social occasion is right. Please note that's personal and I do not want to cause offence. My father was in Burma and my father in law in the D-day landings- neither ever spoke to us children about their experiences. On the other hand my uncle who was in at El Alamein loved to talk- people deal with life differently. My husband- a conscript was in Cyprus and my nephew- a Falklands veteran enjoys Trafalgar day but doesn't wear his medal.

As I write this I am extremely proud and moved by my immediate family's sacrifices but nevertheless would not expect medals to be worn unless it was a military commemoration.

Heywood

My husband- a conscript was in Cyprus and my nephew- a Falklands veteran enjoys Trafalgar day but doesn't wear his medal.

As I write this I am extremely proud and moved by my immediate family's sacrifices but nevertheless would not expect medals to be worn unless it was a military commemoration.

Heywood

That's my view too. After all, this is supposed to be a relaxing cruise holiday, not a military jamboree. Yes, most people have the utmost respect for all aspects of the military but there's a time and place for everything. I'm sure that when packing for a holiday most people include the sun cream, sun glasses and shorts, but, on a personal basis, the thought of also throwing in my paltry couple of military medals never enters my head! However, if the habit persists, I'll consider taking it a stage further and turning up in uniform. That should add to the relaxing holiday ambience!

Archived