where to self snorkle?

Sydney66

I am bringing my own snorkle gear to Grand Cayman and was wondering if the ocean off Seven Mile Beach is good to just go out and snorkle in. Im doing a tour in the morning but would like to spend some time snorkling by myself in the afternoon. I was assuming I would just go to Seven Mile Beach, but Im not sure if its good or if there is somewhere else I should head to... any ideas?

We walked to Eden Rock last time we were in GC. It is just about 1/4 mile to the right as you get off the tender. It was very good snorkeling. They rent equip ( we had our own).... they have bathrooms, restaurant, picnic tables, some lounge chairs and a bar. We spent a couple hours and saw some great fish some very large and some colorful (they feed them so they stick around) swim out and you will be rewarded by some nice coral and more fish...

We were just on the Century April 2 and took our 10 and 7 year old to Eden Rock. This is the 2nd time I have snorkled there. It has a rock platform with a ladder into the water. The dive shop has restrooms and lockers. The snorkeling is very nice there. We saw some large and colorful fish along with a baracuda.

We brought cans of cheese whiz to use in the water. The fish love it and come all around you. Just put a little in your fingers and rub it into the water.

From the map it looks a lot further. Other posts that I searched said 5 min walk. Thanks. Any other beaches heaading towards 7 mile walkable that the kids will enjoy doing the sand stuff in? DD who is 11 will not snorkle so we want to also go to a beach that is nice for her and son to play in the water and the sand. Thinking of renting a car and doing rum point but have limited time. Only from 8 to 4 meaning be on the ship by 3:30 the latest.

So would like to stick with Eden Rock and then do something else for the kids. Any help w ould be appreciated? Have posted this several times in other posts to get the most response...thanks!

We were just on the Century April 2 and took our 10 and 7 year old to Eden Rock. This is the 2nd time I have snorkled there. It has a rock platform with a ladder into the water. The dive shop has restrooms and lockers. The snorkeling is very nice there. We saw some large and colorful fish along with a baracuda.

We brought cans of cheese whiz to use in the water. The fish love it and come all around you. Just put a little in your fingers and rub it into the water.

The dive shop has fish food you can buy (cheaper than a can of cheez wiz) to feed the fish.

Please do not feed the fish people food, it is not good for them.

From the map it looks a lot further.
Really? I doesn't look all that far to me if you consider the blocks aren't really long.

Any other beaches heading towards 7 mile walkable that the kids will enjoy doing the sand stuff in?
I am not aware of any that have sand that goes out into the water before you get to 7mb. In general, sandy beaches have poor snorkeling. Corals and sponges need the hard surfaces rocks provide. Sand doesn't have the right surface for them to anchor to. 7mb isn't really walkable. Sure, you could physically make the trip, but you probably wouldn't want to walk that far. It is a couple of miles to the point closest to Georgetown.

Is there some reason that you aren't doing the stingray city trip? I know that it is called a snorkel trip, but in reality it isn't. The water if pretty shallow and all there is to see there is sand and stingrays. Most everyone just stands in the water. The only real use of the mask and snorkel is to stand there and look down into the water to see the rays. The guides will hold the stingrays for people to touch. Feeding the stingrays is optional.

Consider the Stingray City trip if you will only be there once as this is a very unique experience. Most excursions also stop at an area locals call the Rock Garden for about a half hour to hour of snorkeling then head over to Stingray City sandbar. You will get some great pix and have a wonderful experience. Because of the shallow water on the sandbar it can be done by non-swimmers and young children. Most all of my clients love this tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Lockers are available at both Abanks Dive (Paradise Restaurant) and Eden Rock Diver center.

To make sure there is no confusion, Eden rock is maybe 200 yds from the tender docks. 7 mile beach begins about 2 miles from the tender docks (and isin the other direction). No real snorkling at 7 mile beach except at the nortern most part and Cemetary Reef.

A good guide to shore snorkeling locations:

http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

Archived