1st time in Key West

1CRUISINGMAMA

My DH and I along with another couple will be in Key West for the first time in two weeks. We coming in on a ship and will only be there for 8am to 2pm. What are the must tries or do's in Key west. I know about the Key lime pie but I'm not sure from the site who's to try. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

Here are some ideas of things to do:

• Walk Duval Street (sort of unavoidable, but still I wanted to mention it. Tons of shops, many cheesy t-shirts, bars, and more bars. Good people watching and delicious local cuisine will make this a nice way to spend an hour or more.
  • Walk around the Historic Seaport - check out the fleet of boats, schooners, and other "Bight" sights. Might want to have a drink at the Schooner Wharf Bar - a slice of ole' Key West.
  • Rent a bicycle and ride around the historic neighborhoods of Old Town. Or just walk it. The houses are beautiful and tropical and you are sure to get a real flavor of island life.
  • Museums: Hemingway House (if the writer interests you...otherwise a little underwhelming), Audubon House (lovely tropical garden and historic home), Truman's Little White House (again, if this part of history interests you then go for it)
  • Mallory Square: sounds like you'll be leaving before sunset, but if not than this is a great place to see the sunset (of course your ship is blocking the view :eek: ...wouldn't that be ironic :) )

Or, you could just get on a Conch Tour Train and get the canned version.

Also, you have enough time to get on the water and go snorkeling/jet skiing/fishing. The Keys are the perfect environment to enjoy all of these.

Hope this gives you a starting point. Have fun!

Oh yeah, Key Lime Pie. Head on over to Pepe's Cafe on Caroline Street, Key West's oldest restaurant and a very funky atmosphere, and enjoy their delicious and authentic Key West pie. Other good choices are the Blond Giraffe and the Rooftop Cafe.

Archived