Advice for NCL newbie - Pride of Aloha questions

Hootie&Pokey

I am hoping you will all be so kind as to help me out. I am trying to gather some information for a friend who has never cruised before & is sailing on Pride of Aloha on 5/26. (She also hates the computer, which is why I'm asking for her!) My husband & I have only sailed on Princess & Celebrity, so I can't give any NCL advice.

Which restaurants on this ship have a surcharge? Which restaurants do you particularly recommend? Any special dishes? My friend is quite particular about her diet, will she have a hard time finding or requesting food prepared very simply?

What drinks (juice, iced tea, etc) are offered free of charge on NCL?

Can you recommend any shore excursions? I know she has told me she is most interested in the volcano (don't know which one she means) and Pearl Harbor. She also loves shopping in small local markets for crafts & gifts.

Can you think of any other special things she should know - you know, those little tips we all have about our favorite ships and/or lines that make them so terrific. Any information on Pride of Aloha will be appreciated. Thanks!

Karen

We cruised the Pride of Aloha a few months ago and I will try to answer your questions to the best of my memory.

The speciality restaurants were the Royal Palms Bistro (French Mediteranian), Kahili (Italian) and Pacific Heights (Pacific Rim). Except for the first two nights, when Kahili and Pacific Heights were half price, the price was $10 per meal. We enjoyed Royal Palms Bistro the most. We had filet mignon you could cut with your fork and the chocolate fondue was almost worth the price of admission by itself! I'm not sure about your friend's diet. When we asked to vary from the menu, the staff certainly tried to accomodate us, but our requests were more in the line of substitutions, not custom order meals.

The beverages that were included with meals were coffee, tea, milks and juices (usually orange, pineapple and I think apple). Sodas and alcoholic beverages are available for an additional charge.

On our shore excursions, we rented cars in each port and used the Revealed series of books to guide us for each island. The volcano is a neat tour but you probably won't see lava flowing while on it. It's is a pretty rugged hike of several miles over uneven and jagged lava flows to see the active lava. (You will probably see the active lava as the ship sails past the volcano.) Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial are certainly a must see, which you can do on your own as well. Entry into the Memorial is on a first come first served basis, so get there as early as possible. There is no fee to actually enter the Memorial. The costs are for the transportation you might need. It can cost anywhere from $8 to $45 per person depending on the tour.

As far as tips, I put together a Word document for a friend when we got home and offered it on the boards a few weeks ago. If you would send me an email requesting it, I would be happy to send it to you. It's just my observations and tips I picked up from the Boards and our trip.

My email is dcp81@yahoo.com

Aloha!

Don

Thanks, Don, for your help.

My husband & I also usually do the "rent a car & set out on our own" type of traveling. But my friend, who is in her 60's & is traveling with another lady, doesn't like to drive in unfamiliar places, so I am sure she won't be renting a car & will be participating in excursions offered through the ship.

I also don't think she's up for the rough hike to get to the lava flow. Glad to hear she should be able to view it from the ship. But do I understand that you think the tours offered by the ship to the volcano area are worthwhile anyway?

As far as her diet, I think she would be most concerned if she could get a dish with, say, no sauce. That type of thing. And I was wondering about no charge beverages offered at other than meal times. For example. on Princess we can get iced tea anytime, anywhere at no charge. She's definitely not a big drinker.

Thanks again, and I'll be emailing you for your tips...

Karen

The ship offers just about any type of tour she could imagine. They are more expensive than finding a tour on your own. She should get a list of the tours with her documents. The major advantage of the ship's tours is that the ship won't leave without you if you are late.

The organized tour we had taken to the volcano a few years ago traveled around the volcano and visited a museum there. Again, have her check with the ship's list and see what she thinks.

I don't see any problem with asking to customize dishes already on the menu. I'm sure the staff will be happy to accomodate her.

We were able to get coffee, tea and juices from the dispensers in the buffet anytime. We also requested a coffee maker in our cabin and could brew coffee and tea whenever we wanted. The steward always kept us stocked with Kona coffee and tea bags. She can also get room service 24 hours a day.

Hope this helps

Aloha

Don

When they get on go to the reservations desk and there should be a book with all the menus (and the price). See what looks good. I don;t want Chinese on a cruise ship (or at home) but on the Star the Soho with pacific seafood was my favorite and I'm not crasy for seafood. Steaks can be excellent.

If the book does not have the main resturant menus then ask what night special meals are. If there is going to be lobster one night (and you like it) there is no sense missing it, and paying for a specialty.

Ask what times offer 1/2 off. Some times it's always certain hours, sometimes it's when in port.

I suggest trying all the specialties. They have some great good and are well worth the price. I know you already paid for food on the cruise, but it can be superior foodr, service, environment and made to order so better.

Archived