Laws in Bermuda

jchiefs13

Reading up on Bermuda in the destinations section of this site there are two places that hint that it's a bad idea to have short on that are shorter than two inches above your knee.

Is this just a cutsey push for bermuda shorts or would there really be a problem?

Here's what I saw that makes me wonder:

"Civilized right down to the last grain of pink sand, they'll let you show some skin by encouraging the wearing of the national dress, Bermuda shorts (which, by the way, are rarely "on sale") -- but never wear a pair that rises more than two inches above the knee, thank you very much. On the other hand, don't even think about taking your bikini-clad body more than 25 feet from the water. "

and

"Bermuda shorts and the rest of your country-club casual (leave the short-shorts home). "

Anyone?

JC

The first quote is a bit tongue in cheek, don’t take it seriously. The bit about not wearing a bathing suit is partially true; it isn’t really acceptable to be shirtless anywhere in public except the beach, you might get some strange looks but I highly doubt anyone would say anything about it. I think the second quote is just a suggestion; no one will care if you wear short shorts.

I have that travel guide as well and laughed when I read it. I was in Bermuda last when I was 18, wore halter tops and short shorts. Nothing was ever said to me. Bermuda is a huge tourist attraction, they can't expect people to come fully clad in head to toe clothing. I think they are trying to say that a lot of businesses and restaurants are not as casual as the ones here in the states.

Archived