Travel Insurance Question

Annie34

I agree that if I'd been working with a person I should expect a greater penalty, but I booked online and didn't talk to an actual TA until I went to cancel. (Oh, I did ask for a rate reduction once after it was lowered on their web site, but it only took a few minutes.) The $15.00 booking fee seems appropriate, but $50.00 to compensate the time and energy of a computer/search engine just seems a little high.

I did find another TA through CC who has been extremely helpful in getting my other cruise booked. Very friendly, knowledgeable, and really wants to help. Wow!!!...what a difference!

So at this point I think I'll just cut my losses and move on. You're right, live and learn! :)

If you have any medical conditions requiring recent or ongoing treatment [i.e., blood pressure pills, insulin, etc.], you must purchase travel insurance within a short period after booking your travel. [Most companies] If you wait until a penalty period to buy, then anything that happens that could be tied to a pre existing condition would not be covered.

I would keep after your present insurance co. for a transfer. Speak to a supervisor and go higher up if necessary. As a rule insurance cos. want every cent they have coming but really don't want a penny they are not entitled to. They are very heavily regulated in every state and need to account for everything. If they won't transfer coverage, ask for their home office address and the insurance commissioners office in that state.

If neccessary contact the state commish.

Dan

Yes! I learned from experience that you should purchase the insurance separately and on your own outside of the TA.

Annie, you might want to call back to the insurer.I had to make three calls to get mine transfered. I FINALLY got it transferred. The first person I spoke to was very helpful and seemed knowledgable, the second seemed less knowledgable and helpful, the third was knowledgable and helpful. It seems the concern was the commission to the selling TA. I told them I did not care who recived the commmission I just wanted my cruise to be covered. Finally, they transfered everything and I got everything sent to me via email and have it printed out....just in case!

I've never had a problem transferring an insurance policy to a different cruise. They just had me put it in writing and they informed me if the new trip was more costly, I would have to pay the difference in premiums. Never had a problem at all. I think the agency is giving you a line of crap.

To the TA who said she always advises her clients to wait until nearer to final payment to purchase insurance, I think that is very bad advice. The policy you mention through CSA is much more costly and who's to say they don't get rid of that policy, and then your client is up a creek if any pre-existing conditions come into play.

We always purchase insurance within the timeframe (Travelex is 21 days) necessary for pre-existing conditions to be covered. We did it even before my husband had a stroke, because we worried about any of our non-traveling members of our family having pre-existing conditions (note: not all policies cover family members not traveling with the insured, but Travelex does).

Archived