Taku Glacier Jet Boat Exploration

cruising3

Has anyone taken this Juneau excursion? We are going on a Royal Caribbean cruise next Alaska and I am thinking about it rather than taking a bus trip to Mendenhal Glacier since a member of our group cannot go on any type of plane/helicopter excursion. I have seen a number of references to a Taku float plane trip but none to the Jet boat trip.

Thanks in advance .

Cruising 3

This will be a new tour this year. I know it was not operating here for the last several years. I do not have any of the details for the tour. I do not personally feel the Taku Glacier is as impressive as the Mendenhall, or other glaciers you might see where there could be some calving. It may turn out to be a good tour, we will have to wait and see.

Capt. Larry

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just came back from our 4th trip to Alaska and did the Taku Glacier Jet Boat excursion and thought it was one of the best excursions I have ever taken. I think only Royal Caribbean and Celebrity now offer this tour. There were about 15-20 people on the jet boar. It is completely covered and the driver is very skilled at what he does. There was also a person who told us what to look for etc. It is about a 100 mile r/t into Taku River and then to the glacer. As mentioned above it is not as impressive as Mendenhall Glacier but the size is immense. We saw eagles, all kinds of birds, seals, etc. Alot of waterfalls, just beautiful scenery overall. We did this tour around May 17 so the later you go probably alot of the snow will have melted. Overall I recommend this excursion.

Marilyn

Archived