when on islands is better to cash/credit cards

cabbjp

hi, we are going on a cruise to the southern carribean for 10 nights. the serenade of the sea.leaving april 29. i am just wondering is better to use credit cards on purchases like jewerly and more expensive things.i am planning on buy jewerly.what island is the best for jewery?any good stores to shop in? thanks:)

You may want to check with your Card Provider to find out in advance if, and how much the charge is for international prurchases. The percentage varies, but we have been hit with a 2% charge for all but the USVI. We started using cash in those cases to avoid the surcharge. There are advantages to charging some items however, you just have to weigh it out.

We will only use cash in ports from now on. Really bad experience in Jamaica last year. They cloned our card... when we got to Cozumel and went to use the card again Bank of America had put a hold on it. We called the U.S. from Diamonds International. Needless to say $4,000 later we finally got it fixed. Plus the rate they charged us for conversion.

Missy

I will also add that this was a ship recommended store that did this. I did notify RCCL of what happened. Needless to say, the cruiseline, did not help. They gave me a number to call that has nothing to do with them and said that they are the ones who handle the media.:mad:

Missy

We will only use cash in ports from now on. Really bad experience in Jamaica last year. They cloned our card... when we got to Cozumel and went to use the card again Bank of America had put a hold on it. We called the U.S. from Diamonds International. Needless to say $4,000 later we finally got it fixed. Plus the rate they charged us for conversion.

Missy

thanks so much . i have been really so scared to use our cards on some of the dtories i have heard. my husband say's you don't need anything. he must be nuts to think i am not going shopping. thanks again.:)

I guess i've been really lucky because I have always used a credit card

when purchasing jewelry. Just be sure you stick with the ship recommended stores. I purchased a Rolex watch in St. Martin a

few yeary ago and I can't imagine walking around with that kind of cash.

If you plan on making a large purchase, just be sure to call your credit card company before you go to let them know you will be out of the

country and using your card. One time Bank of America put a stop on my card because they seen a large purchase out of the country.

I had to call them from port. Happy shopping.

One thing we did later was shop near the port and if we found something we did not have enough cash for, one of us ran back to the ship and used the atm there and got money out of our checking account. We had called our bank before we left and they raised our daily spending limit. Or if there is something particular you are looking for, get the money before you leave the ship! That way, you already have it. If you don't use the money, you can put it back when you get home... plus no interest:) because you are using your own money!

Missy

Archived