Weather ?? Oct Med Cruise

katz

Please tell me what the weather is like during the beginning of October in the Mediterranean. Our ports are in Spain, Italy, France, Croatia, Turkey and Greece.

Also, what would be your suggestion on the type of clothing to pack for the excusions. We have only been on Caribbean cruises and don't if we should pack "nicer" clothes for our excusions. What I think I am trying to ask is if jeans are acceptable.

Thanks for you help.

I think you can expect pleasent weather, ave highs around 70. evenings could dip into the 50's. Not quite "carribean" temperatures, but still usually nice. We originally though about October, to coincide with a "big" birthday. However, we changed our mind and pushed back to late August/ early September so that the days at sea stood a better chance of sitting by the pool... a priority for my spouse.

Jeans should be OK; however, tennis shoes are not worn nearly as much, and make you stand out as a "North American" at best, or "clueless American" at worst. No sense in my book to not dress up with comfortable leather shoes and Dockers.

Side bar:Great reason to support a struggling Italian industry and buy a pair of Italian made shoes. I bought a pair that I loved in Italy, right in the heart of Rome for about $75US. My US shoes "failed", and I was forced into some ratty tennies. At the end of the transaction, the clerk said "will you be taking these home?" I replied "not a chance" She smiled politely and said "Good choice, sir"

I was in the Med. this last Oct. 25th. The avg. temps. were around 68-70.

I brought a lightweight jacket and wore it several times.

The evenings get a little chilly walking around.

I wore jeans in every port and so did hundreds of other people.

I also wore a comfortable pair of tennis shoes.

As far as looking like North Americans............so does thousands of

other people walking around with cameras, backpacks etc.

Just make sure you don't wear shorts or shirts that are sleeveless

if you plan on going into any churches. I also brought a couple of

sweat outfits for the days at sea and glad I did as it way a little

windy around the pool area. Hope this helped.

Oh, and I brought an unbrella but I only used it for about 10 mins.

in naples. I found a unbrella at walmart that's really small and hooks

onto your belt loop so I didn't have to carry it.

Please tell me what the weather is like during the beginning of October in the Mediterranean. Our ports are in Spain, Italy, France, Croatia, Turkey and Greece.

Also, what would be your suggestion on the type of clothing to pack for the excusions. We have only been on Caribbean cruises and don't if we should pack "nicer" clothes for our excusions. What I think I am trying to ask is if jeans are acceptable. Thanks for you help.

We generally had great weather. It was cool but not cold. Light jackets at night were sufficient and polo shirts and slacks during the day. Remember shorts / tank tops / flip flops are not worn if touring cathedrals and churches.

We did have some light rain in Athens, late afternoon one of our days in Rome, and one late afternoon in Venice. So I would take an umbrella (or be ready to buy one from a street vendor for 5 euro).

Spain and Croatia I cannot comment on.

We had beautiful weather in Spain (Barcelona) although the evenings were cool and breezy (in the 50s). The days were in the upper 70s. Villefranche (Nice/Monte Carlo) was about the same. We had rain during all three of our Italy stops, usually started in the morning and cleared up by noon. The highs were in the upper 60s/low 70s and breezy so I carried a jacket with me. Turkey was about the same as Barcelona - sunny, upper 70s. Greece was very cloudy and windy at all three stops (Santorini, Mykonos, and Athens). I really wanted to go to the beach on Santorini since we had heard how beautiful the black sand was. We walked around but it was too cool for swimming. It was very windy for most of our sea days so very few people were laying around the pool. The temperatures were in the 70s for highs and 50s for lows, but the wind made it feel much cooler.

Plan on carrying either a small umbrella or a poncho or waterproof jacket for most of your stops since the weather can get cool and rainy.

Just to give you another persons experience... my husband and I cruised the med last October. barcelona was warm, around 70, and had a downpour in the afternoon that lasted about an hour. Villefranche, was probably our warmest daymid 70's. Italy was all around high 60's. We had rain in Dubrovnik, but it cleared up in time for our sailaway.

I wore mainly jeans and a wool blazer. brought a few different button downs, nice t shirts and a couple wraps too. bring a light jacket and umbrella... the rest is easy.

And remember to take a moment to breathe in the air and look around. The time goes so quickly, enjoy it while you are there.

Did Venice to Venice last October. 2 days of absolute downpour in Venice prior to sailing. Rain in Dubrovnik changed to sunshine and weather after that was reasonable, not hot, but pleasantly mild (no jackets). Had been in Villefranche in early September and had a fair bit of rain - I had assured my wife that was one place we were SURE to have good weather! We spent 9-10 weeks, including the cruise, and Venice, Pisa and Villefranche were the worst for rain. Further north and inland we had great weather.

Archived