how is CLUBHAL for kids?

nashkan

So, it's okay to 'bend the truth" when it suits your needs. Gets your 18 year old into the Club HAL teen program, gets your 11 year-old into the tweens program or maybe gets your 17 year-old a drink at the bar by stating he's really older.

How do you make the child understand when lying is 'bending the truth' and when it is just out-and-out lying? Children learn what they live. What kind of example are you setting?

So, it's okay to 'bend the truth" when it suits your needs. Gets your 18 year old into the Club HAL teen program, gets your 11 year-old into the tweens program or maybe gets your 17 year-old a drink at the bar by stating he's really older.

How do you make the child understand when lying is 'bending the truth' and when it is just out-and-out lying? Children learn what they live. What kind of example are you setting?

Right on. I had a mom and daughter walk on board once and when I asked the daughter how old she was, she started to reply 12 but the mom cut her off and said 13. I asked again and the mother said she's 12 1/2, but she's too old for the tween group, she's too mature. The daughter seemed indifferent towards the whole situation.

Now what kind of example was she setting? Is she really in that much of a rush for her daughter to grow up?

Interesting thread. When we sailed on Disney, my daughter and my friends son were in the 6-8 group and were 7 years old. The 9-12 group is where their older siblings were and I asked since they were bored in that age group (Watching movies at night wasn't cutting it for them) if we could up them to the 9-12 group and the manager of the kids club said no problem BUT if they couldn't keep up then they would have to come back down. We said no problem and I have to say they did enjoy it better. Keeping up is not a problem when you are second or third in birth order. LOL She keeps up better than her older sister.

So just be honest and ask, but first see if the kids like it in the appropriate age group first.

Everyone enjoy your cruise.

Just hung up with HAL, getting closer but so undecided between the Westerdam and the Carnival Glory

HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're in the same boat (no pun intended) - our 11 year old son will turn 12 on the 3rd day of the cruise. His brother is 13 and gets to go to the older stuff - his little (and he says that word with such enthusiasm) sister will be 10 four days before the cruise (yes this is their giant birthday present - they get nothing else!!! kidding!).

So my 12 year old desperately wants to go with big brother - dad is a preacher - lying not an option - even those little white lies (:.

So, we've decided to inform the Club HAL guys when we get there that our 12 year old would like to move up - from what I've ascertained from the boards our wish may be granted upon the following criteria:

1. The age of the 13-17 pax - if the average age swings low (about 14 ish) then his chances of moving up are good. If the age swings high (16 ish) then he really is too imature to be with that group - and I say that in the nicest mom way.

2. If there is an unusually low kid crowd onboard (we sail Alaska - Westerdam on May 21) then his chances improve also.

Any more suggestions? Otherwise he gets to spend some wonderful quality time with his beautiful little sister. :) The very thought actually makes me laugh out loud. Yes, she's praying he gets to move up too! :) :)

I found it quite odd the poster Buggies10, a former Club HAL staff suggested lying about your child's age so they get in the group that you want.

I'm pretty sure they ask your birthdate when you book the a cruise and that info must be matched to the Passport info.

To me this seems a like an embarressing moment when you get caught lying once you have boarded just waiting to happen.

I don't think I would do it....

As I said above I would not do it - just not worth it. I have found that the HAL staff is very reasonable to work with and they will do just about anything to accomodate a passenger.

We're in the same boat (no pun intended) - our 11 year old son will turn 12 on the 3rd day of the cruise. His brother is 13 and gets to go to the older stuff - his little (and he says that word with such enthusiasm) sister will be 10 four days before the cruise (yes this is their giant birthday present - they get nothing else!!! kidding!).

So my 12 year old desperately wants to go with big brother - dad is a preacher - lying not an option - even those little white lies (:.

So, we've decided to inform the Club HAL guys when we get there that our 12 year old would like to move up - from what I've ascertained from the boards our wish may be granted upon the following criteria:

1. The age of the 13-17 pax - if the average age swings low (about 14 ish) then his chances of moving up are good. If the age swings high (16 ish) then he really is too imature to be with that group - and I say that in the nicest mom way.

2. If there is an unusually low kid crowd onboard (we sail Alaska - Westerdam on May 21) then his chances improve also.

Any more suggestions? Otherwise he gets to spend some wonderful quality time with his beautiful little sister. :) The very thought actually makes me laugh out loud. Yes, she's praying he gets to move up too! :) :)

It sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of how it works. We're usually not willing to accept a 12 year old (esp. one who just turned 12) if it means sacrificing our older teens. We usually suggest that the 13 y.o. move down, which sometimes works if the 13 y.o. has the right attitude. Of course this all depends on the CH Director, and some will not budge - EVER

Caribbean Girl.... Thank You for the well-wishes, I know we all will have a good time!!! 192 days and counting !!! :D ....as for the small amount of kids during that time of year, that is OK... that is what he is used to... we live in a very small town & there are only 35 kids in his WHOLE school (pre-K to 7th)! :)... He is used to the personal attention, so a small group of kids is a good thing for him, he is very adaptable with older or younger, so we are not worried about that.... we are more worried about DRAGGING him off the ship!! He still talks about his cruise from last year, the best vacation he ever had, better then Disneyland!... I think we have created another addict....:D .... Jordon, will you be on the Zuiderdam in October?

nashkan, sounds like you have one of the most important ingredients to enjoying a wonderful cruise: a willing participant! Just being on a beautiful ship and being treated so well everyday is treat enough. Not to mention the ports you will be visiting!! I hope you get to see Half Moon Cay as it is certainly unforgettable. Our children (and my husband and I:p ) still talk about that little piece of paradise. Have fun anticipating!! And DON'T FORGET THE SUNSCREEN!!

Caribbean girl... we are supposed to go to Half Moon Cay.... we are planning on the stingray swim with our Grandson, we have done that in Grand Cayman, he never has ...we thought that would be really special for him... he loves animals ... the water in Grand Cayman was a little deep, where we were.... have you tried this on the Cay? Anything special about the Cay we should know? Our other ports are Grand Turk, St. Thomas, and Tortola... we have been to St. Thomas several times, we will probably go over to St. John for the day ..... we have not been to the other islands.... the Grandson loves everything about cruising, even getting dressed in his tux on formal night! ..thanks again.... Dan

I hope you make it to HMC, nashkan. It is lovely just to see it, but it sounds like you have a fun day planned. It was our very last stop before the end of the cruise, so my daughter and I hung out while the boys tried wind surfing. Make sure to attend the barbecue. We thoroughly enjoyed the food and there was a steel band playing throughout the day. They were tremendous and we enjoyed them during the whole trip.:p

We visited Tortola last Feb and did a mountain biking, rain forest trip (Layou River) booked through HAL. It was fantastic! I don't know if you and your family would be up for that. A comfy van takes you about 1300 ft up the highest mt on the island and you bike down the mountain, stopping for fruit and treats. We also had the opportunity to swim in the Layou River and hot springs. It was a tremendous experience. Did you know the beaches in Tortola have black, volcanic sand? Whatever you choose to do, I certainly hope you have a great time.

We spent the day at the beach in St. Thomas as well. I think we went to Coral Bay. I believe this is where you get to feed the fish. The beach was small, but the guide was very good and we are so easy to please, since we were there in the depth of Pa. winter and it was mine and my daughter's birthdays. Some fun!!

Wish I could talk about Grand Turk, but we've not been there yet.

Have fun anticipating your upcoming trip!

the biking sounds like a good time, we all ride bikes I am going to look into that ...and since it is down hill:D I have been doing some reseach on the various ports ....the first time we went to St. Thomas, we did go over to St, John on our own and we saved a LOT of money.... that was back in 1989 and not so sure if i am so adventurious anymore.... but still thinking about that .... it is amazing what a person can save when they do reseach and find things on their own... these boards are a wealth of information.... and i thank all for the tips.... sincerely Dan

Archived