pre cruise Port Cananveral hotel

bahama daydreamer

I will be cruising in Oct. from Port Canaveral. We will be flying in to Orlando and renting a car at the airport. I'm looking for info on a nice inexpensive hotel and a rental car company that is near the cruise terminal. Also, when we return the car will they shuttle us to the cruise terminal or do we have to find transportation?

When we stayed in Orlando, I checked the Radisson and it was pricey. If you want to stay in Cocoa Beach, there are some reasonable hotels...LaQuinta, Holiday Inn Express, etc., Budget has a location right on A1A which is the main strip. We stayed in Orlando and then drove to Cocoa Beach the next morning. Wished we had have stayed at Cocoa Beach....next time! The shuttle from Budget to the port was very efficient and the driver asked if we needed a pick up at the end of our cruise. Lots of stores, shops, restaurants, etc., in Cocoa Beach which is within a mile or two of the port. Enjoy!

Depending on how many in your family... we are doing a family reunion cruise, and so there are alot of us coming to Port Canaveral. My family booked at the Radisson at the Port for 2 nights pre-cruise. There are 5 in my immediate family staying, and I booked the 2 king bedded suite. It has a whirlpool in the bedroon, a living room and dining room and a sleeper sofa in the living room... 2 large screen tv's. The price is $219.00 per night, but 2 smaller rooms would have been more. Also includes the hot breakfast buffet, shuttle to the pier and back, and if you need to you can leave your car attheir parking lot while you crusie and save the parking fees at the port. The pool area is wonderful and there is an outside bar and grill and live music. We just thought it would be nice since there are alot of us that are going to enjoy a nice long over due visit.

bon voyage!

When we stayed in Orlando, I checked the Radisson and it was pricey. If you want to stay in Cocoa Beach, there are some reasonable hotels...LaQuinta, Holiday Inn Express, etc., Budget has a location right on A1A which is the main strip. We stayed in Orlando and then drove to Cocoa Beach the next morning. Wished we had have stayed at Cocoa Beach....next time! The shuttle from Budget to the port was very efficient and the driver asked if we needed a pick up at the end of our cruise. Lots of stores, shops, restaurants, etc., in Cocoa Beach which is within a mile or two of the port. Enjoy!

Will budget charge you more for picking up a car in Orlando and dropping it off at Port canaveral?

Will budget charge you more for picking up a car in Orlando and dropping it off at Port canaveral?

It may be a little more, but, it is very reasonable. We use our Costco discount and an intermediate size car runs us around $35-$45 for a one day rental depending on the time of year and day of the week. It seems to be a little more if you pick up and return on the same day.

You will use around 3 gallons of gas and there is a gas station a couple doors down from the rental office in Cocoa Beach.

It couldn't be easier, especially if you sign up for their Fastbreak program. Using that program you can skip the rental desk at the airport and go directly to the parking garage across the street from baggage claim and get your keys from the booth there. The rental cars are right there in the parking garage.

I think the total bill for our Orlando to Cocoa Beach car rental was around $35 and then we put in our own gas. Am sure that this type of drop is common and it's obvious that a large drop fee is not being charged. We used Budget and I signed up on-line for the Fast Pass program. No waiting in line in Orlando for your car. I just printed off my confirmation and we walked across the street to the Budget kiosk. My card had not arrived so I just had a piece of paper. No problem. We reserved a full size card and ended up being upgraded to an SUV (Kia I think).

I stayed at the Radisson at the Port pre-cruise on the Carnival Glory in March of this year. The hotel was great. I loved the steam shower and the sleep number bed was great too. They had free breakfast in the restaurant too. Pretty much anything you wanted from pancakes to cereal to omelettes. They have free parking for the cruise and have a free shuttle to and from the ships at the port. I got the room for $169 including parking and all which made the room less than $90 if you took off $12 a day for parking. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Bob

This post has helped me a lot. Traveling with a family of nine. Think we will use Radisson pre-cruise. Looking around airport for post cruise and nanner10 site very helpful there. Question now is transportation. Need to get from airport to Radisson and Port Canaveral to airport area hotel upon return. Checking out Happy Limousine based in Orlando. Anyone familiar with these folks???

Try Art’s shuttle @ www.artsshuttle.com . They will pick you up at the airport (they will meet you at the gate with a sign with your name) with a minivan and transport you to your hotel and also, if you wish, transport you back to the airport after your cruise. We have used them several times and they are very prompt, dependable and friendly.

However, we often rent a car from Budget. We use our Costco discount (other discounts are available) and signed up for Budget's Fastbreak RapidRez program. With that program you can skip the Budget rental counter (and lines) in the airport and go directly to the garage right across from baggage claim and pick up the car there. We pay about $35.00 for an intermediate size car picked up at the Orlando airport (MCO) and dropped off to their Cocoa Beach office (CC5). Aloha Me, you could check into renting minivans. They say to bring along your Costco card as proof of membership, but they have never asked for it … yet!

They will give you a good map (ask) and the signage is very good at the airport. It is a very easy 45 minute drive and then you will have a car at your disposal for the night. In the morning the Budget rental office is a couple doors down from the Radisson and there are a few gas stations very nearby. Replace the approximately 3 gallons of gas you will need to top off the tank so you won’t have to pay the exorbitant rental car gas prices.

In the morning Budget will shuttle you to the pier, which is about 4 miles away. It’s EASY! We go to return the car around 9:30-10:00AM, just to beat the rush. You could likely go later, that is just our personal preference.

Have a great cruise!

The cruise parking at the Radisson is in the rear parking lot of the hotel next to the convention center complex. It wasn't secure. Anyone could walk into the parking lot as there are no fences or anything. When I was there in March there was construction in back of the property and my truck got dusty from the debris but it was safe and sound when I got back. There were maybe 40 vehicles in the area designated as cruise parking. I don't know of any vandalism or anything so I'd say it's fairly safe to park there, at least it was for me. It's lit at night so that may deter some criminals too. Hope this helps.....

Bob

Radisson on-line rate is $118. One room w/ 2 doubles

Residence Inn on-line is $113.

We are debating between the two hotels. Any preferences?

I know the Radisson transfers to port free. Does the Residence Inn?

Also Budget seems to have the cheapest car rental rate for one-way from Cape Canaveral to Orlando airport for $44 for compact, $45 for intermediate.

Any better ideas...they are appreciated.

Thanks,

K

Radisson on-line rate is $118. One room w/ 2 doubles

Residence Inn on-line is $113.

We are debating between the two hotels. Any preferences?

I know the Radisson transfers to port free. Does the Residence Inn?

Also Budget seems to have the cheapest car rental rate for one-way from Cape Canaveral to Orlando airport for $44 for compact, $45 for intermediate.

Any better ideas...they are appreciated.

Thanks,

K

I couldn't find the Residence Inn for less than $154, so we booked at the Radisson. It looks like a very nice hotel. We found the same one way rate from CC to Orlando. Got it for $22 plus taxes for the trip in, though, thru Budget.

Archived