Ship time vs. shore time...help!

jbwinvan

DW and I are new to cruising and I am having trouble trying to figure out the differance in ship time vs. shore time. We are on the NCL Star and will be in Acapulco on 9/30, then Zihuatanejo, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. We would like to try to book some tours on our own but I am unsure as to the starting times of some tours due to the "time" differance. Can somebody please explain the differance?

Also, we are going to be in Zihuatanjeo on a Sunday. Does that mean that this "sleepy fishing village" is going to be even more quite?

Thanks

JBW

this is how your ship time vs shore time will work. ship time is 1hour before so if it is 1pm ship time it would be 2pm shore time. ixtapa is a small town but very pretty keep that day for enjoying the beach or just strolling thru town but be sure to get out and see the city in acapulco. lots to do and see in acapulco. cabo at this time of the year can be real hot so arrange something to do or see close to the water and transportation with ac. hope this has helped you out.

As a general rule, cruise lines on the Mexican Riviera start on Pacific time. The ship changes to Mountain time as it approaches Cabo, usually the night before, and stays on mountain time for the bulk of the cruise. The ship will revert back to Pacific time after it has sailed north of Cabo.

There will be a one hour time difference between "ship's time" and "local time" starting at Puerto Vallarta and points south. They tell me that the times published in your itinerary are supposed to be "ship's time" but this may varry between cruise lines.

I have learned that the independent tour operators know when the ships come and go. Contact the operator, tell them the ship you will be on, when it is scheduled to arrive and ask if you will arrive in time to make their tour. If you are concerned that the tour will run long, ask if the tour is done in time to get back to the ship before it sails. This hold true in any port.

It can be gawd awful hot at the beginning of October, especially south of Vallarta. Make sure you carry water with you where ever you go and stay hydrated.

Enjoy!

Archived