Dawn versus Spirit, HELP !!

ErinsMommy

Leaving from NY this fall, our choices for NCL are the Norwegian Dawn Western Carribean on 11/26, or a Spirit cruise Southern Carribean in October.

We did the Eastern Carribean last year with NCL Dawn, and fell in love with the ship. My 3 year old went nuts for the childrens pool area and the kids camp.

The food was good, and except for the room being smoky (and my hubby getting sick), we had an awesome time.

I am afraid to change and do the Spirit cruise. Has anyone been on both ships, and are they similar?

I would rather leave in October, last October 9th we left port, and by the next morning we were by the pool sunbathing. I would imagine you would not have this if we left Nov 27th.

Thanks !!

Chrissy

-NCL Norwegian Dawn first timer 10/9/05 Eastern Carribean 10 Day

I've been on the Dawn twice and went on the Spirit in January 06 for 11 days to the southern carib. I LOVE THE SPIRIT. I also liked the Dawn but felt the Spirit was much much nicer. You will love the Spirit. We are going to do the Spirit in November for 11 days again.

I would pick the Spirit over the Dawn - however both ships are great.

Dave

We did the Spirit the first time last week and loved it. Did the Dawn 4 times in 2 years. I would do both in a heart beat. But, we prefer the Dawn. I thought Windows diining room was beautiful, but very loud. The theatre seats were just awful. Very minor complaints except for young teens roaming the halls at all hours knocking on cabin doors.But,you can have this on any cruise. Those are the only faults I can find. You will have a great time on either ship.

The question you should ask, instead of which ship, is:

"What itinerary your prefer?"

Do you wish to go on a western or southern caribbean cruise this year?

As for uncomfortable theatre seats aboard the Spirit, I found them no different than what's aboard the Dawn. I wish I could say the same for the Star, but I can't. The Star's seats lean forward, making you sit forward in the seat. Very uncomfortable. Then again, you're only seating in the seats for about an hour, sitting is always better than standing.

We did the southern out of Miami on the Spirit last year. Terrific itinerary. And the Spirit's kid's pool area is just as good or even better than that of the Dawn.

I agree with electricron. Pick the itinerary that you want to do and the rest will take care of itself. The Spirit is only alittle bit smaller than the Dawn, and only a couple less amenities than the Dawn.

Enjoy!

Have not been on the Spirit but have the Dawn and just fell in LOVE with this ship also.....however we did research both ships before deciding and the Dawn is larger by about 100' and has more restaurants, larger rooms and larger balcony's and a refrigerator in the rooms where as the Spirit does not...

We met some people who had been on both and they did prefer the Dawn.....and they did say that the ventilation system on the Dawn was much better....hope this helps you somewhat.....

Yes, the Dawn is slightly larger and newer than the Spirit with just a few more restaurants and lounges, just a few. The Spirit must have been the last ship built by NCL without refrigerators, however, the crew did a wonderful job keeping the ice bucket filled. I didn't miss it.

The staterooms are similar in size, not much difference to amount to much. The Dawn does have oceanview and balcony cabins for four, the Spirit don't.

Otherwise, the beauty of the Spirit outshines the Dawn. Frankly, you'll love both ships.

Haven't cruised on the Dawn, but liked the Spirit very much - PLUS if I were you I would definately choose the Southern Carribean rather than the Western Carrib ....

GREAT pool for little ones, we enjoyed watching them on one of the back decks on some sea days ... they made us laugh!!

Charbie

Haven't cruised on the Dawn, but liked the Spirit very much - PLUS if I were you I would definately choose the Southern Carribean rather than the Western Carrib ....

GREAT pool for little ones, we enjoyed watching them on one of the back decks on some sea days ... they made us laugh!!

Charbie

the Dawn does do an 11 night southern carribean....we're going next February....the Dawn also has allot to offer for the little ones also and they were very well behaved and the kids area is very secluded, didn't hear them and it also gave them time away from the adults

Is childrens pool area on the spirit as big as the one on the Dawn? On the dawn, it took up the whole back of the ship!

You make the call.

Spirit's kids swiming pool

6200001000006485_GALLERY.jpg

Dawn's kids swiming pool

3150001000004933_GALLERY.jpg

Plus one bird's eye view of the Spirit:

Spirit_Juneau.jpg

Note, not only is the Spirit's Kids pool area be as wide as the ship, the same width as the Dawn, there's also an amphitheatre overlooking it as well. Yes, you can be eating breakfast or lunch, drinking coffee, tea, beer, or your favorite mixed drink while watch the children play in the Kids pool.

Archived