Silver Shadow - Christmas 2006 Caribbean.

its_my_dime

We are considering the Silver Shadow for the 2 week Christmas - New Year's Caribbean trip (Ft. Lauderdale RT). Although it has 4 days at sea, it does not appear to be the same cookie cutter itinerary that one normally sees in the area.

We have been on both SeaDeam and Seabourn and have developed some expectations regarding premium all-inclusive travel.

So, questions, please.

1) How does the the Silver Shadow stack up against these other ships?

2) We have read out some "glitches" in service. How serious are they?

3) Is internet access an issue (connectivity and cost)?

4) What is the cost of the various excursions (nothing on the web yet for this year; former excursions aren't priced)?

5) Is getting a reservation in the special restaurant a problem (some posters said it is fully booked before the sailing).

6) Is embarcation/disembarcation as disorganzied as some reviewers indicate?

7) How does the ship handle in rough weather?

8) Is smoking an issue?

9) Are children/teenagers an issue on holiday cruises?

10) Is there anything that would make this trip either special or not special?

Thank you.

She is a great ship with a super crew.We were on her for 7 weeks ,left her this past March 4th; there were no glitches....some items bothered us & we reported it to the hotel director, and they were taken care of. The internet is expensive..so went on it in town. Excursions are fairly priced. We usually "do our own thing" but have heard from others that that are not too highly priced.

Weather should not be a problem in the Carribean. We haven'y had a problem reserving La Terraza...but understand that lately...many people are booking it for a number of nights in advance. (I would not accept that) report to the hotel director, & I'm sure he'll work it out for you. There are separate smoking areas, and MOST folks are fair about sticking to t. I myself am a non-smoker, and haven't had any problems. We wil be on the Shadow for 4 1/2 months for the world cruise...so things must be pretty good. look forward to a great time & it will be so.!!!

Chelonia, hmmmmmmmmm. We got off March 4 also and will also be on the WC. As for the questions posted...we were on the Christmas/New Year's cruise this past holiday and had a superb time. Yes, there were issues with food and service but that happens anywhere. I could not spend more than a wk on SeaDream, it was a good trip but the ship felt claustrophobic, which I am not. Have never done Seabourne due to the veranda issue. We have sailed other lines and always return to SS. It is the best thing afloat the the moment and I expect that will continue, albeit with some bumps in the water. Just go with a smile and an open mind and enjoy yourself!

Archived