What happened to the Plaza Hotel in New York?

sfvoyager

Sadly, the Plaza Hotel closed this past July. It will be mostly condo's and a few hotel rooms and it'll never be the same. It's glory is gone and it was a sad summer for us New Yorkers.

I went to the sale and bought some nice memorabilia.

Jane

Sadly, the Plaza Hotel closed this past July. It will be mostly condo's and a few hotel rooms and it'll never be the same. It's glory is gone and it was a sad summer for us New Yorkers.

I went to the sale and bought some nice memorabilia.

Jane

I have matches and cocktail napkins that I can't throw away! I spent some very lovely Christmas Eves in The Oak Bar and have eaten many a brunch in The Palm Court.

A good friend of mine had secret service evacuate the hotel one time because of an erector set and the fact that Winston Churchill was in the suite above his family's.

I can understand what New Yorkers felt like when Penn Station was torn down!

You have to wonder what people like Sarah Jessica Parker and Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas feel. Not to mention the thousands of other people who celebrated anniversaries, weddings, parties, bar mitzvahs etc.

Ohmigosh! I am devestated! Condos? Is this a Donald Trump venture?

To me, The Plaza epitomized luxury hotels in New York. I am glad to hear the Oak Room will remain. I too, had wonderful memories ranging from a suite overlooking Central Park in the snow on New Year's Day to dining in the Oak Room to sighting a neighbor in San Francisco having an affair! (And I don't mean a Bar Mitzvah in the ballroom.)

I guess we will have to have a drink with Sarah Jessica Parker in Peacock Alley to mourn the loss. Oh wait...isn't that gone too. They better leave the Waldorf alone!

They're also going to make sure that the famous painting of "Emily, who lives at the Plaza" will be re-hung in a prominent place.

At the sale I bought some items w/ the Plaza logo like 3 foot long shoe-horns, in-room NYC guides and other memorabilia.

It was soooooo sad.

Jane

Archived